Jump to content

Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....


Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The reviewer of the latest Bachmann V2 didn't seem to think it was worth mentioning that its tender had (incorrect) spoked wheels, rather than discs. I would have done!

 

 

That just looks like point-scoring. We discussed the issue but decided to leave it out pending further clarification of any reason which I'll get when I'm back at work through discussion with the manufacturer. 

  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It might be Mazak, Brian,

 

I don't know. All I've been informed of is that the main bodies are die-cast metal.

 

If it were Mazak it would depend entirely on the specific composition of the material used as to whether it might be a problem in the future.      I believe the problem that occurs with some Mazak is due to lead contamination of the alloy.  

 

Those two locomotives look very good and because I can still imagine, almost 60 years later, the smell emanating from the inside of an original Hornby Dublo box,  that nostalgic box art might be  a winner even if technically the colour scheme is wrong.   I'm assuming of course they aren't actually 3 rail Tony!  :lol:

 

Alan

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

 

That just looks like point-scoring. We discussed the issue but decided to leave it out pending further clarification of any reason which I'll get when I'm back at work through discussion with the manufacturer. 

It wasn't meant to be that Andy; just an observation.

 

I'm sure when I examined the three pre-production Bachmann V2s after the Peterborough Show in 2019, their tenders were fitted with (correct) disc wheels. All the previous manifestations have had disc wheels, so is the provision in the latest model an error? Or is it a one-off? 

 

The attention to detail was remarkable (showing the V2s I'd made down the years in a rather poor light in comparison - how many folk knew before that the lubricators were offset?), so, to me, it seems a shame that an outstanding new model appears to have a fundamental error. Unless, as I say, it's just the one model. I hope so. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

It wasn't meant to be that Andy; just an observation.

 

It read as a targeted assessment of the reviewer rather than the product and, I would hope you understand, I find that inappropriate.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The modeller said:

hey tony. quick question about DJH kits . do they come with pickups

Good evening 'Modeller',

 

As prescribed in the majority of DJH's instructions (for tender locos), no pick-ups are needed, because the system suggested is the 'American' style, where the loco and tender are 'live' to opposite sides, conjoined by an insulated drawbar. There are even instructions on how to short-out the insulated tender wheels by drilling a hole through the plastic insulation between the wheels' bosses and the axles and force-fitting a short length of brass/nickel silver rod. 

 

I dislike the system (though others have used it with success - it obviates the need for wipers and the like) and use PCB pick-up pads fixed to the frames' spacers, with nickel silver wipers to collect the current. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony.  

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

 

It read as a targeted assessment of the reviewer rather than the product and, I would hope you understand, I find that inappropriate.

Point taken entirely, Andy.

 

My apologies if my comments were misconstrued or inappropriately put. I still think the correct tender wheels are important enough to mention, however.  

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, PupCam said:

 

If it were Mazak it would depend entirely on the specific composition of the material used as to whether it might be a problem in the future.      I believe the problem that occurs with some Mazak is due to lead contamination of the alloy.  

 

Those two locomotives look very good and because I can still imagine, almost 60 years later, the smell emanating from the inside of an original Hornby Dublo box,  that nostalgic box art might be  a winner even if technically the colour scheme is wrong.   I'm assuming of course they aren't actually 3 rail Tony!  :lol:

 

Alan

They're not 3-rail Alan,

 

In fact the frames are fully-insulated because all the wheels are insulated (even if the packaging is redolent of the 3-rail colour scheme). The packaging is wonderful by the way.

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

 

Fabulous pair of locomotives especially the Merchant Navy Class.

 

You have confirmed they come with Flanged pony truck wheels as an option, I cannot understand why these were not provided with the recent Thompson Pacific’s?

 

I did fit a spare one from a Hornby A4 to my A2/2 60501 but the axel was too thick in dia and the wheel would not turn.

 

Regards

 

David

My understanding is the A2s were meant to have the flanged Cartazzi wheels provided but they got left out by mistake. Hornby will provide them if you ask for them.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

 

 

 I still think the correct tender wheels are important enough to mention, however.  

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

 

Looking at the photos on the retail sites the Bachmann V2 has spoked wheels in all the examples that I have looked at, perhaps ominous?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jollysmart said:

 

Looking at the photos on the retail sites the Bachmann V2 has spoked wheels in all the examples that I have looked at, perhaps ominous?

 

I've looked through more prototype V2 pictures in the books in my 'library' (100s) which illustrate the class and cannot find evidence of any V2 ever running with a tender with spoked wheels. Obviously, it's impossible to tell one way or another in many pictures (more-distant three-quarter front views, for instance), but it rather suggests that if spoked wheels were ever fitted to V2s' tenders, it was very rare. 

 

I don't know about 'ominous'. Those concerned enough will probably change the wheels.

 

Regards,

 

Tony.  

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Some new books for review next month in BRM

 

200039040_BritishSteaminColour1957-1975.jpg.eb01c065c9f55653715cd7e523757fb2.jpg

 

A lovely selection.

 

1167170034_DieselDawntheNBWarships.jpg.57593d1e02e94dbafcdf4b0d5f664d6f.jpg

 

Latest softback from Irwell on these not-quite-as-good as their Swindon counterparts.

 

1362188259_GresleyV2s.jpg.f70a36f2f6f7083d8d0a2ee628b7fc4c.jpg

 

And, the most comprehensive account on the V2s I've seen. 

 

 

I’m halfway through Red Leaders book, so nice to see photos in colour, I say that as I’m used to looking at everything in black and white (1930s). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah Tony, you are correct of course, though these were the ones provided by DJH with the kit.

On the subject of wheels I should put the record straight. I had a moan on here recently about not being able to reach Markits. My very next call was answered by Mark. Following an interesting conversation a set of B1 wheels was received a day later. Excellent.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, queensquare said:

I haven’t got many books on the V2s but I suspect there weren’t many that ran on a track gauge of four feet one and a half inches so I think it pays not to get too precious :-)

 

The things that can be got right one ought to try to get right; the compromises one chooses to live with one accepts for reasons of practicality. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, queensquare said:

I haven’t got many books on the V2s but I suspect there weren’t many that ran on a track gauge of four feet one and a half inches so I think it pays not to get too precious :-)

 

 

Nor what shade of green they wore.   >?)

 

https://flic.kr/p/dmVTid

 

  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...