Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Glad to see you posting, Tom. As it happens I read your build thread on your Coronation set last night - I don't suppose you still have the photos as none of them are showing :(

Well, whilst we're still in glorious LNER mode:

1041901716_Grantham806Coronation.jpg.69404202e79656c37f6f5d2fb4776cac.jpg

Here's Tom's delicious Coronation set photographed (by Tony) on the layout at the Nottingham 2016 show. Plenty done to the layout since in the intervening (crikey) 5+ years.

30 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Ooh, appropriate for discussing LNER days - page 2509.

Absolutely!

TW_9.jpg.25705848773987df6dc53a278996b1d0.jpg

Not sure if I can do this on the next three pages(!) but here she is, Tony's recreation of that classic pre-war colour scene of said loco. And yes - the original photo clearly shows that she was at least this grubby (the work of BarryO on this occasion).

Of course, the previous nine pages were almost as notable, the last built batch of A3s: 2508 'Brown Jack', 2507 'Singapore', 2506 'Salmon Trout' ... (etc). Quite a few of them will have run on the layout as well but not sure if I have pictures of many of them to hand!

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Oh yes, forgot about that. Nope that's perfect, I couldn't expect you to go through and edit the lot back in :) very much appreciated and a reminder of just how good a job you did with it.

Ooh, appropriate for discussing LNER days - page 2509.

I wonder how old we'll be before the W1's number is coincidental with these pages?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

23 hours ago, gr.king said:

You never know. Somebody with inside knowledge might comment on that in due course.

We'll have to wait and see Graeme,

Could be good, though.............

There have been a few occasions at the chapel when BR/ER stock has run on Grantham. However, I have no pictures to show.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I wonder how old we'll all be before the W1's number is coincidental with these pages?

Regards,

Tony. 

Who knows, by that time I may have actually finished something...!

Edited by Bucoops
  • Funny 4

On 26/11/2021 at 21:37, Headstock said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much, my Father recalled seeing loads of departmental stock in the sidings at Neville hill in the late 30s. The first time he saw anything painted Oxford blue, was on a model railway, it was quite a surprise.

Although it is impossible to tell from 1930s monochrome photographs, I do find that highly believable and "not inconsistent" with the guess-the-colour-if-you-can general faded grimy state of departmental stock that many pictures seem to me to suggest. Wildest guesswork makes me wonder whether in fact it was only vehicles newly built for specific departmental duty, plus certain pre-group examples put into official LNER livery just after grouping, and the very occasional (long lasting?) few eventually favoured with a re-paint out of necessity that actually received Oxford Blue. Maybe the rest just got old running numbers patch painted out and engineer's department numbers slapped on, especially if they were only put into the engineer's fleet to see out their last few miles before falling to pieces.

It's a good excuse to dodge the job of repainting my vintage MS&L bogie mineral brake anyway.

The example that inspired me to build it was apparently still in the Immingham breakdown train in the 1950s by the way.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Tatlow has a picture of one wagon in Cambridge Blue , I have also read suggestions that it was a very faded Oxford Blue !! . I have rarely seen  in use Departmental wagons in photos, other than ex Works photos.

Graeme,

I presume the MS&L Bogie Brake is the Birdcage one in a siding in the photos ? Are there any other photos ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

Although it is impossible to tell from 1930s monochrome photographs, I do find that highly believable and "not inconsistent" with the guess-the-colour-if-you-can general faded grimy state of departmental stock that many pictures seem to me to suggest. Wildest guesswork makes me wonder whether in fact it was only vehicles newly built for specific departmental duty, plus certain pre-group examples put into official LNER livery just after grouping, and the very occasional (long lasting?) few eventually favoured with a re-paint out of necessity that actually received Oxford Blue. Maybe the rest just got old running numbers patch painted out and engineer's department numbers slapped on, especially if they were only put into the engineer's fleet to see out their last few miles before falling to pieces.

It's a good excuse to dodge the job of repainting my vintage MS&L bogie mineral brake anyway.

The example that inspired me to build it was apparently still in the Immingham breakdown train in the 1950s by the way.

Good evening Graeme,

I asked my Father at the time what colour he remembered. He didn't specify a particular colour, he thought that some didn't look that radically different from any other LNER wagon, though he did say that some other wagons and 'carriages' were very striking, being so bleached by the sun that they looked like they were made of bone! He was obviously aware that there was a livery that was susceptible to weathering and colour fading but he was not aware how strong and distinctive the official colour scheme was. When he found out that colour was Oxford blue, he didn't doubt it, he was surprised but didn't find it unlikely.

When a friend and I were researching stores vans many many years ago, I was told that the Oxford blue was notoriously unstable. As one of the Woodford wags put it, the colour'' turned grey faster than a white coach roof''. They remembered the stores vans as being a light grey with a blue tinge, that would be consistent with what they were saying. They also said that there was quite an influx of revenue vehicles into departmental service during and after the war, these were not usually repainted from teak or brown, just rebranded. From what they were saying, I think it would be possible that patch painting of existing liveries would also take place in LNER days.

The main thing I took away from all this, was that a train of Oxford blue wagons or other vehicles would be impossibly rare. There are some photographs around that seem to confirm this, including some colour photographs from LNER days. I recently came across a photo of an ex GNR six-wheel passenger brake van taken in the late 40s. It literally looks like it is painted white, with darker patches painted on to illuminate the departmental branding! Your 1950s example is not at all surprising, many of the pictures of stores vans that I have collected over the years, have retained their earlier liveries well into the fifties.

Edited by Headstock
correct autocorrect.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks for posting the LNER pictures Tony - I wonder how many hours it took to get your stock back on. I remember it used to take hours when setting up Stoke..

Great to see Roy there, I still remember him telling me - 'I'm going to build a model of Retford... '

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I remember when page numbers were in buffet range, i missed my chance to shove a model on the page as the running number  now well through sleeper range.

Not too many away from FO.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, micklner said:

Tatlow has a picture of one wagon in Cambridge Blue , I have also read suggestions that it was a very faded Oxford Blue !! . I have rarely seen  in use Departmental wagons in photos, other than ex Works photos.

Graeme,

I presume the MS&L Bogie Brake is the Birdcage one in a siding in the photos ? Are there any other photos ?

Sorry Mick, I've only just noticed your request. One here:  https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39097#p39097

I scratch built it a long time ago, when my skills and knowledge were more limited. Naively painted red lamp since repainted black. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I wonder how old we'll be before the W1's number is coincidental with these pages?

Regards,

Tony. 

Before or after 1948?

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
I should read to the end before commenting. However, great minds think alike!?

4 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

If I may? 

I didn’t help remove the stock, I believe I was either in Malta with the rest of my family, I stayed home and worked the family

business for 5 weeks, met them in Malta for a week, then returned home and I left for 5 weeks in the UK. 

I also didn’t go home after the LNER weekend, I went north to my other adopted British family David and Christine Miller in Newcastle, who visited LB whilst I was there in November 2019. Then I went onto the Scotland for week. Then, unfortunately, I went home. 

Also Tony, you and I went to BRM and helped edit the moving pictures for the DVD, mostly by telling the fella in the media department of BRM where we wanted each shot to be. An all round fantastic experience for a young modeller like myself. 

I’ve said this before and I’ll probably be saying it till the day I clock in. But you have no idea how much that weekend meant to me. I’ve always looked up to you Tony as a kid (I’m doomed now that we’re friends) and it was also seeing Grantham in the March 2014 BRM that made me decide to go LNER. So for me to be able to be part of the ‘gang’ for a weekend and also help build Grantham  in a small way ( don’t look to closely at one of the station canopy’s support brackets) really was just amazing, there are no words to describe what it meant for me. Now to call you all dear friends, I wouldn’t be the modeller I am today without all of you. 

So to Graham, Jonathan, Greame, Roy and Baz, thankyou. Also thanks to John Smart, Dave Jobbling and Steve White who have opened me with welcome arms through covid during the Skype call sessions.

and thanks to you Tony, for giving a young, inspired, long haired, tattooed, pierced Australian bogan a chance.

Better throw Mo in there for feeding me and washing my clothes! :laugh_mini2:

And also the rest of you lot who I’ve spoken to countless times on RMWEB!! 

Right, no more sooky posts, it’s back to inappropriate comments and modelling!  

You may,

With pleasure, Jesse,

In 50 years time you'll have a memory like mine.

How did I manage to put everything back on LB without help?

Of course, I've forgotten how we went to BRM to edit the footage (pre-Covid, of course). I think Tom Foster was originally going to shoot the footage, then edit it - that's how I've got muddled up. 

As for Skype, I promise to do better. Despite all of your showing me how to do it, I still didn't manage it on Friday night.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi everyone ,

I know this is a long shot but a friend of mine is making a study of the Heaton to Manchester Red Bank empty newspaper train .He particularly requires the locomotives used from York to Manchester on various dates in 1963 & 1964  . He also needs more information on which steam locos appeared between Newcastle & York during 1966 , particularly whether Farnley Junction Jubilee no . 45581 " Bihar and Orissa " worked the train that year . If anyone can help with any dated sightings I will be very grateful & will pass them onto him .

Thanks ,

Ray .