Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

7 minutes ago, Jon4470 said:

Hello Tony

Looking forward to seeing the Raven A2 build - one of my favourite classes of loco.

Here’s my version of “the second one” 2401 City of Kingston upon Hull (or rather it will be when I get around to painting it)

9F5DD22C-450E-45DE-8682-1624F422C49F.jpeg.899cc0f15273268b90f116ae3113c291.jpeg

This will be the earlier incarnation with 6 wheel tender and Westinghouse pump.

I bought this loco structurally complete. I corrected a few errors and added the detailing. I tried to add to, rather than rebuild, the loco as I wanted to keep the essence of the original build.

I believe that this is a Jamieson hand cut kit. If not, then it was scratch built using the style of Jamieson kits.

Jon

It looks very good John,

Jamieson (via EAMES and Kings Cross) offered a hand-cut kit service for many years, though a Raven A2 is a new one to me (that doesn't mean it was never made, of course).

They were much more expensive than the standard Jamieson kits (£27.00 for an A2/1 in 1976), and, afterwards, they'd go on general sale. One had to watch the adverts in the model press - that's how I acquired a hand-cut D49 from Millholme Models. 

In the late '90s, in the course of doing photographs for a book on loco kit histories, I visited Mike Griffiths at Autocom in Andover. He'd acquired the likes of the Nu-Cast and K's ranges and also (I know not from where) all the Jamieson tools for stamping out kits. They were in two tea chests, full of rusting steel, some sorted, some just loose. I offered to buy them, but he sold the lot for scrap I believe. I would have paid the scrap price; not that I'd have re-marketed the Jamieson kits, but more from nostalgia. I built so many in my formative years.

With regard to the DJH Raven A2 kit, I believe (as has been mentioned before) they go for silly money now on Ebay. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hi everyone ,

I know this is a long shot but a friend of mine is making a study of the Heaton to Manchester Red Bank empty newspaper train .He particularly requires the locomotives used from York to Manchester on various dates in 1963 & 1964  . He also needs more information on which steam locos appeared between Newcastle & York during 1966 , particularly whether Farnley Junction Jubilee no . 45581 " Bihar and Orissa " worked the train that year . If anyone can help with any dated sightings I will be very grateful & will pass them onto him .

Thanks ,

Ray .

Not my area at all Ray but I vaguely remember that either Railway World or Railway Magazine did a picture article in the late '60s, 1966 or 1967.  I think it was RM but I'm not sure - I were but a nipper! 

7 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

City of Kingston upon Hull in her final form.

1 A2 2401 City of Kingston upon Hull Peterbrough 16 June 1935.jpg

Thanks Mick, 

That's exactly the condition I'll be modelling her in. 

The large tender suited the class much better, but the loco looks 'antique' in comparison with her contemporaries - the A1s and A3s. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It looks very good John,

Jamieson (via EAMES and Kings Cross) offered a hand-cut kit service for many years, though a Raven A2 is a new one to me (that doesn't mean it was never made, of course).

They were much more expensive than the standard Jamieson kits (£27.00 for an A2/1 in 1976), and, afterwards, they'd go on general sale. One had to watch the adverts in the model press - that's how I acquired a hand-cut D49 from Millholme Models. 

In the late '90s, in the course of doing photographs for a book on loco kit histories, I visited Mike Griffiths at Autocom in Andover. He'd acquired the likes of the Nu-Cast and K's ranges and also (I know not from where) all the Jamieson tools for stamping out kits. They were in two tea chests, full of rusting steel, some sorted, some just loose. I offered to buy them, but he sold the lot for scrap I believe. I would have paid the scrap price; not that I'd have re-marketed the Jamieson kits, but more from nostalgia. I built so many in my formative years.

With regard to the DJH Raven A2 kit, I believe (as has been mentioned before) they go for silly money now on Ebay. 

Regards,

Tony. 

The last one on ebay I saw for sale , was a horrid green effort pulling the 6 wheel Tender, without its original box . It went for about £400 !! .

I have my DJH A2 as City of Durham pulling the 8 wheel Tender . I built it a few years ago , the actual Loco was not a easy build , poor fit of parts etc .

The A2  will need very large curves as well in due course !! .

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tony, Re. Removing cellotape residue from paper ,metal and some plastics Toluene is the quickest way to go. Toluene is very dangerous and we must use gloves ,have eye protection and either a fume hood or work outdoors as it is one of the nasty aromatic solvents. It is also carcinogenic to top things off. It does work though. I worked with it for about 30 years as a Book and Paper conservator , with PPE and there are no ill effects. But I am a motorcyclist and railway modeller!!!

Don't for get the PPE if you try it as we all want you around for a long time yet.

Doug.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

Hello Tony

Looking forward to seeing the Raven A2 build - one of my favourite classes of loco.

Here’s my version of “the second one” 2401 City of Kingston upon Hull (or rather it will be when I get around to painting it)

9F5DD22C-450E-45DE-8682-1624F422C49F.jpeg.899cc0f15273268b90f116ae3113c291.jpeg

This will be the earlier incarnation with 6 wheel tender and Westinghouse pump.

I bought this loco structurally complete. I corrected a few errors and added the detailing. I tried to add to, rather than rebuild, the loco as I wanted to keep the essence of the original build.

I believe that this is a Jamieson hand cut kit. If not, then it was scratch built using the style of Jamieson kits.

Jon

In the primer at any rate that looks like one of the neatest, straightest, squarest examples I've seen of a 4mm Raven Pacific. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Here's "City of Kingston upon Hull" in earlier days. A very good write up of these engines was in the "North Eastern Express" the quarterly journal of the NERly Assoc a few years ago.

A2 2401 City of Kingston upon Hull .jpg

Thanks Mick,

It proves the old adage about model railways; that if things can be wrong then they will be. 

DJH supply ten-spoked bogie wheels and 12-spoked pony wheels. Doh! I've substituted Markits 12-spoked bogie wheels, but left the pony set - Geoff Haynes has painted/lined them all. I'll have to give him a ten-spoked, 14mm pony wheelset now!

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, gwr517 said:

Tony, Re. Removing cellotape residue from paper ,metal and some plastics Toluene is the quickest way to go. Toluene is very dangerous and we must use gloves ,have eye protection and either a fume hood or work outdoors as it is one of the nasty aromatic solvents. It is also carcinogenic to top things off. It does work though. I worked with it for about 30 years as a Book and Paper conservator , with PPE and there are no ill effects.

I remember them putting the fear of god into us about Toluene during A level chemistry. It obviously worked as I've never gone near the stuff since.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Back into modelling mode again.............

881262717_DJHRavenA202.jpg.4ae656bbc439ee105ec6f3fe32045d49.jpg

I acquired a DJH Raven A2 kit (untouched) some little time ago, complete with wheels (I didn't pay a lot for it). Here's the pre-rolled brass boiler. Sellotape had been used to retain the roll. Ah, the pestilence of old Sellotape! The tape itself just crumbled away, leaving this nasty residue. Solvent-cleaning didn't touch it, but it's now been removed with wet & dry and a fibreglass brush. 

I intend to make it as the second one. That means inside bearings to the pony, but I'm making an eight-wheeled tender to go behind it, representing the time from its partnering with this through to the loco's withdrawal, and without the Westinghouse equipment. 

Geoff Haynes will paint it (he's painted its wheels already) and then I'll sell it on, after writing an article about it. 

Just to 'balance' things, I'm building a GWR 0-6-0ST at the same time!

Is that the one you and I were talking about ages ago? Hoping for it to be in its later days with Gresley cab and boiler? 

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

I know this is a long shot but a friend of mine is making a study of the Heaton to Manchester Red Bank empty newspaper train .He particularly requires the locomotives used from York to Manchester on various dates in 1963 & 1964  .

Flickr's always worth a search. Amongst the BR Blue 40's & 45s you'll find:

20309977993_348f6965ba_w.jpg

Red Bank Vans. by John Whiteley, on Flickr

"Kingmoor Britannia 70009 Alfred the Great piloting a BR Standard Class 4 away from Leeds on the "Viaduct Route" with the Heaton - Red Bank empty newspaper vans. 11 April 1964."

23658956789_62dd31eca6_w.jpg

Empty newspaper vans. by John Whiteley, on Flickr

"York B1 61062 piloting Newton Heath Crab 42750 at Batley on the Heaton - Red Bank vans. 23 May 1963."

There are a few more from 1961 featuring double headed Black Fives.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Flickr's always worth a search. Amongst the BR Blue 40's & 45s you'll find:

20309977993_348f6965ba_w.jpg

Red Bank Vans. by John Whiteley, on Flickr

"Kingmoor Britannia 70009 Alfred the Great piloting a BR Standard Class 4 away from Leeds on the "Viaduct Route" with the Heaton - Red Bank empty newspaper vans. 11 April 1964."

23658956789_62dd31eca6_w.jpg

Empty newspaper vans. by John Whiteley, on Flickr

"York B1 61062 piloting Newton Heath Crab 42750 at Batley on the Heaton - Red Bank vans. 23 May 1963."

There are a few more from 1961 featuring double headed Black Fives.

Steven B.

Many thanks to both Trevor & Steven for their replies . I will have a look at both sources to see if they can help .                Cheers ,

Ray .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Is that the one you and I were talking about ages ago? Hoping for it to be in its later days with Gresley cab and boiler? 

It probably is, Jesse,

But, no, it'll be CITY OF KINGSTON UPON HULL, not the one with the Gresley boiler and cab. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It probably is, Jesse,

But, no, it'll be CITY OF KINGSTON UPON HULL, not the one with the Gresley boiler and cab. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Did DJH ever supply the kit with a Gresley boiler? A friend once had a lovely model that was certainly kit based. Sadly it was dropped from his loft by a visitor, proceeded to hit the bannister and fell a further storey. I've had it in a box for a couple of years. I managed to rebuild the chassis, but fear the superstructure may be beyond hope.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I remember them putting the fear of god into us about Toluene during A level chemistry. It obviously worked as I've never gone near the stuff since.

And readily available on Ebay for notalot......

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

Did DJH ever supply the kit with a Gresley boiler? A friend once had a lovely model that was certainly kit based. Sadly it was dropped from his loft by a visitor, proceeded to hit the bannister and fell a further storey. I've had it in a box for a couple of years. I managed to rebuild the chassis, but fear the superstructure may be beyond hope.

I don't know Jeff,

I built a DJH Raven A2 for a friend years ago, making an eight-wheeled tender for it (as CITY OF NEWCASTLE). I also built the NE tender as well, giving him a choice. 

He didn't have a layout, but he displayed it (along with other models I'd made for him) in wall cases. Sadly, his home was broken into and, instead of just stealing his models, the scum just threw them all around the room, pulverising them beyond redemption. Yes, they were insured, but it finished his interest in model railways. There was nothing to be done apart from retrieving any parts such as wheels/motors, etc, but many of these were wrecked as well. It looked like one loco had been stamped on (shades of Stamford in 2019?). 

Dropping locos down stairs probably has the same effect, but the emotions are not the same, of course. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Friendly/supportive 18

9 hours ago, gr.king said:

In the primer at any rate that looks like one of the neatest, straightest, squarest examples I've seen of a 4mm Raven Pacific. 

It is great to see such a complement - thank you. However, although I have reacted with “Thanks”, I could just as easily have used “Agree”

The basic structure of cab, boiler and footplate is a testament to the skill of the original builder - quite possibly 40 plus years ago. Whoever it was, made a very neat job of this build.

My part ( apart from buying it) was to get the chassis working, replace the X04 motor, fill in the resulting gap in the boiler, replace two safety valves with three and then add pipework, Westinghouse pump, oil boxes etc

I’m very pleased with the way it has progressed so far and I hope that my painting and lining will do it justice.

Jon

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I don't know Jeff,

I built a DJH Raven A2 for a friend years ago, making an eight-wheeled tender for it (as CITY OF NEWCASTLE). I also built the NE tender as well, giving him a choice. 

He didn't have a layout, but he displayed it (along with other models I'd made for him) in wall cases. Sadly, his home was broken into and, instead of just stealing his models, the scum just threw them all around the room, pulverising them beyond redemption. Yes, they were insured, but it finished his interest in model railways. There was nothing to be done apart from retrieving any parts such as wheels/motors, etc, but many of these were wrecked as well. It looked like one loco had been stamped on (shades of Stamford in 2019?). 

Dropping locos down stairs probably has the same effect, but the emotions are not the same, of course. 

Regards,

Tony.  

That's awful. I felt bad enough for my friend with what was a horrible accident, but wilful destruction and burglary is beyond dreadful.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Jon4470 said:

It is great to see such a complement - thank you. However, although I have reacted with “Thanks”, I could just as easily have used “Agree”

The basic structure of cab, boiler and footplate is a testament to the skill of the original builder - quite possibly 40 plus years ago. Whoever it was, made a very neat job of this build.

My part ( apart from buying it) was to get the chassis working, replace the X04 motor, fill in the resulting gap in the boiler, replace two safety valves with three and then add pipework, Westinghouse pump, oil boxes etc

I’m very pleased with the way it has progressed so far and I hope that my painting and lining will do it justice.

Jon

Hi Jon

The Westinghouse pump looks well made. Could you advise the supplier?

Dave