• RMweb Premium

Alternative motors such as Mitsumi are available even if Mashima are not, its no big deal for a builder to find a substitute. It took so long (years) for this kit to emerge and not even go on sale to those like me who had requested one, l doubt if it will be redesigned for a different motor. The Walsworth website has also been down for months so no news via that route.

• 2 weeks later...

Also anyone interested could try the Vintage Carriages Trust at the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. They have a vast collection of railway magazines and have been a very useful source of information to me over the years. I don't think they provide a mail order service though.

Hi Mick I'm rather late responding to this, but I think that's wrong, if you call on 01535 680425 they will check stock and send out magazines which they have. They also have a big stock of books. The museum is well worth a visit if you're in the area and the number of magazines they stock is enormous

post-3976-0-40961000-1535958860_thumb.jpg

On behalf of Walsworth Models:

Ok, a suitable motor has now been sourced and full production will commence, after we catch our breath, from a very busy Guildex.

Apologies for the lack of Website but due to circumstances beyond our control we were unable to access it to bring it up to date. Our only option was to start a new website but as neither of us have ever done that before it will need a bit of IT savvy to get our heads around it. Hopefully within the next few months. Meanwhile you can contact John Percival direct via phone or email

01952 510198, mob 07468889056, email walsworth.models@btinternet.com or you can contact me here.

kind regards

Sandy

• RMweb Premium

I caught up with John at Guildex and saw a completed NER Saloon. It's a very fine little model, well designed and detailed, with lots of scope to detail the interior.

It's good news that a substitute motor has now been sourced and I'm looking forward to receiving one of the next batch of kits in due course.

Dava

• Like 1

This is the test build of a new kit from Walsworth Models (www.walsworthmodelservices.co.uk) A Highland Railway Dia.25 Jones 6 wheel goods brake van, or 'road van' as the Highland called them. It is presently available in 7mm scale but a 4mm version is in the pipeline

It is all Nickle Silver construction with brass lost wax castings for the roof detail and the spring/axlebox units. Being a 6 wheeler it has an internal bearing chassis of which two of the axles are built like a bogie. It has a degree of compensation and a spring to self centre the bogie.

When Mr Drummond took over at Lochgorm he considered them to be too light  at around 11 tons and replaced them with 15ton 4 wheel vehicles. They were not popular with the guards so he reverted to 6 wheeled vans of a different design. 

DSCN4062.JPG

DSCN4106.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Not aware of them Sandy I'll have to have a google to find out more about them.

I must say your build is delightful and expertly made as is the painting.  The white painted protector rods are very neatly done as they look as if they are already in place on the bare model.

I can see why anyone would want you to test build a model for them.

Best

• 2 months later...

I have had a go at weathering my Heljan Class 25/1. It was far too shiny and clean. Various washes and powders were used to create the effect. As it was only my second  attempt at diesel weathering, the last was my 08, I am quite pleased how it turned out.

Sandy

IMG_20190415_140650[1].jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...

Very expertly done Sandy, a joy to observe.

You'd never know you had been there...……… err ………. well you would because of the excellent finish, well done.

Best

• Agree 1

A Warren Sheppard GWR 15XX class 0-6-0PT.

DSCN4209.JPG.4c46def58afb73749876a5656d4684f9.JPG

Nothing exciting about the building of the chassis other than you must adhere to Warrens instructions and build it exactly to the width he specifies. Failure to do so will result in serious clearance issues. There is no room to fit normal plunger pickups so alternatives need to be considered. I modified the chassis to use back scratchers  on all six wheels, as can be seen in the photograph.

Sandy

Edited by Sandy Harper
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

This build has been rather extended due to a visit to hospital and an elongated recovery period but the build has now recommenced and hopefully back on track.

Various bit of the chassis have been attached and the valve gear built up in such a way that it can be removed in one piece for painting. This required a few modifications from Warrens suggested build sequence and also modification to a couple of his castings.

DSCN4227.JPG.e1b3b26d167577260d38ff04ceec9d1a.JPG

DSCN4228.JPG.7f0a5699dcbc29a81ce0ff1d427b1387.JPG

DSCN4229.JPG.a168bd3b877e95fa1484689d4254a787.JPG

DSCN4230.JPG.e2d206d056ae9cee57975279c0b15c9f.JPG

DSCN4231.JPG.66a6faa00056ad8ea357476085f03944.JPG

DSCN4232.JPG.bde846fd70e81127041f0c761235946f.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Detailing of the superstructure has commenced but the 'fault' with the firebox casting has been niggling at me every time I look at it. I tried filing it down in an attempt to flatten it out but there is not enough meat in top plate representation to allow for this so I decided this morning to do something about it. I found a scrap piece of thin brass at around .027mm thick and cut it out to fit over the 'fault' as a top cover for the f/box. I also added a representation of a few fixing bolts and the retaining bands will be added later.

DSCN4243.JPG.2f0aa687b32834186e249fef46bb7155.JPG

DSCN4244.JPG.f137eac80151b061dbc9ab34a9c49c9e.JPG

DSCN4245.JPG.c68d8634529ed7b9fbfd2386e9a037d2.JPG

Regards

Sandy

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

I put the 15xx to one side for a break and got on with a Brake Van conversion that a friend asked me to do for him.

According to Peter Tatlow , in his book 'Carriages and Wagons of the Highland Railway', two of the Dia. 25, 6 wheel Jones Brake Vans, were built with side lookouts instead of the roof cupola. I am not aware of any photographic evidence but here is my take on what it might have looked like. The donor van was the Walsworth kit of the original van and I have added the side lookouts and the new roof.

DSCN4248.JPG.32d1d8706efe04af2f607cc172831ef8.JPG

DSCN4249.JPG.abfa67011166d1af0786146a54745a09.JPG

Sandy

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

Now back to the 15XX. All of the additional detail has been added, apart from that which will go on after painting, and the missing casting for the front tank support bracket. This item was missing from the kit and Warren doesn't think he can get a replacement casting for about 2 months so it looks like a scratch build job! Now I have the delightful task of a complete dismantle so that the painting can be done.

Merry Christmas

Sandy

PS Just as I  posted this I received an e-mail from Warren to say that he had located a casting and it was on its way to me. Excellent service.

DSCN4251.JPG.bdf408ef0c83794f2ce351f19b2b3d03.JPG

Edited by Sandy Harper
additional info
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1