Warrens replacement casting arrived yesterday so I can now get the 15XX ready for painting but in the meantime I put together a Eric Underhill LNWR 'Special Tank' 0-6-0st. It appeared to have languished in its box for a number of years as the etches had started to go green and a couple of the resin castings had taken on some weird shapes! Judicious use of the hairdryer and finger tweaking eventually got them back into somewhere near the correct shape and a bit of elbow grease on the etches with a jewelers block soon got them shiny again An awful lot of glue involved in the building of his though!

Merry Christmas
Sandy

DSCN4255.JPG.73b8ac91d2ff84fedae0bdd80e393804.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lovely work as usual Sandy.

I haven't ventured into kits which incorporate resin casting, may I ask if the distortion is something that would normally happen overtime either on an unfinished or finished kit ?

Looking at your build I wouldn't be able to tell too easily which parts needed working on.

Grahame

HI Grahame,

The resin issues were with the cab front and the roof. Both had become distorted. They were quite delicate castings where as the boiler, smoke box and bunker were quite solidly cast and therefore less prone to distorting. Once the resin castings have been glued down they are usually quite stable. but over time is anyone's guess.

Regards

Sandy

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to refer back a few pages, but I have been away from the Forum. Can you please tell me what you used for the boiler bands on the Dean Goods repair, and what thikness it is. I am building a kit without boiler bands supplied and this looks as if it would work well.

Shez, Two techniques, depending if the boiler bands require lining or not. If the livery is to be plain black or a solid colour then I prefer good quality electricians insulation tape applied before painting, although scotch magic tape is just as good.

I lay it out on a sheet of glass and, with a straight edge and a sharp scalpel, cut out the width of boiler bands I need. If the bands are to be lined out then, if available, I use  waterslide transfer sheet, attached directly on to a gloss painted boiler or, if a commercially produced product is not available then, as Peter says, use scotch magic tape lined out in the lining you require, again, cutting with a scalpel blade and applying to your model. Everything should then be spray varnished to seal them. If using scotch magic tape it is always a good idea to spray some up in the main body colour before applying the lining.

I hope this is helpful

Regards

Sandy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/12/2019 at 15:02, Sandy Harper said:

Warrens replacement casting arrived yesterday so I can now get the 15XX ready for painting but in the meantime I put together a Eric Underhill LNWR 'Special Tank' 0-6-0st. It appeared to have languished in its box for a number of years as the etches had started to go green and a couple of the resin castings had taken on some weird shapes! Judicious use of the hairdryer and finger tweaking eventually got them back into somewhere near the correct shape and a bit of elbow grease on the etches with a jewelers block soon got them shiny again An awful lot of glue involved in the building of his though!

Merry Christmas
Sandy

DSCN4255.JPG.73b8ac91d2ff84fedae0bdd80e393804.JPG

And just to prove she works......

After a running in session today, what a wonderful model.

G

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Sandy - going back to the NER petrol car - very much looking forward to some more pics!

But a query; your model has a very prominent petrol ? tank on one side. This isn't shown on the plans in 'The Engineer' of the time. Nor in the NER Diagram no.190. The classic photo of the car is from the 'other' side, and although you can't see the tank under the frame I'm not sure it would be visible anyway.

The NER diagram is simplified and may simply omit it, but the one from The Engineer is more detailed and appears to purport to show a cross-section down the vehicle, when it would certainly be visible. There is a clearer pic of the later 1912 car, which is to a different albeit broadly similar design, but certainly does not have any large under-frame tank. Do you have a reference/pic for this tank, as I'm also intending to model it.

ner1.jpg

petrol.jpg

ner5.jpg

Edited by Nutford
spelling
  • Like 6

Just to add to the above; the NER diagram of the 1912 larger cars shows the petrol tank to be under a corner table; and it's stated the smaller car had a 20 gallon petrol tank. It would anyway be odd for the smaller car to have a much larger petrol tank, so wondering if yours is a water tank?

Attached another photo. Superficially this seems from the location of the box under the underframe to be the other side of 3711/23711, so ruling out any large tank; but it's also possible I guess that it's the same side and the box has been moved....

Picture1.jpg

• Like 2

The drawing shows a starting handle at one end only and it is visible in the first photo. The absence of the handle in the second photo suggests that we may, indeed, be looking at the same side (with the battery? box moved).

Dave

The absence of the handle in the second photo suggests that we may, indeed, be looking at the same side (with the battery? box moved).

Yep - I agree. But - I've just noticed some of the blurb from 'The Engineer' addresses the issue of tanks:

'Two water tanks, each of 7 gallons, are built into the framing'. Not a water tank then.

'the car carries 15 gallons of water and 20 gallons of petrol'

Whatever that tank is on Sandy's model, if it was 6'6 long and 20" diameter, (which it would roughly scale out at from the pic I think)  the capacity would be about 17 gallons. So maybe it is indeed the 20 gallon petrol tank....

Hello Sandy still making beautiful builds and fabulous resurrections and long may you continue.

For Nutford QED means --  abbreviation for the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum": written or said after an argument to show that you have proved something that you wanted to prove.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

Guest Isambarduk
On 24/02/2020 at 15:37, Barnaby said:

"quod erat demonstrandum"

Well, well, well.  Our maths master told us that it stood for 'Quite Enough Done!'  :smile_mini2:   David

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry chaps, I have been rather remiss in not keeping this up to date with my recent builds and completely missed the Petrol Saloon discussion!!

A quick resume' to catch up.

I was given a pair of HR Fish Truck resin bodies and asked if I could make them into wagons?

DSCN4271.JPG.b7ffbef192adc67a30057e495431741d.JPG

And completed in HR passenger livery with through pipes for travelling across other lines

DSCN4289.JPG.6fddf7f9a47709cf1b69abb5178c9570.JPG

That was followed by a Y7 build for a friend in Scotland intending to build the North Sunderland Railway

Dcc fitted and with the rear cab modified.

DSCN4319.JPG.9ec823be0d929513efcb209a7b5df74a.JPG

I have already build one of these and described it before. A joy and quick to build.

DSCN4294.JPG.aba79735ca8989891f6a04af1efeb9e7.JPG

The Fowler has been hanging around the back of the workbench for some time so I decided to take the plunge and try and get it finished. I received the dome and correct chimney yesterday so that will get attached and it will be off to the paint shop.

DSCN4301.JPG.60d5bd55be4435ccfc4dbec787dea6b2.JPG

And finally, I was asked to build a HR 'Glenbarry' Class 2-2-2 in its original form before the majority of the class were  converted to 2-4-0's. This is a pure scratch build using drawings from Peter Tatlows 'Highland Railway Locomotives'

DSCN4308.JPG.8619b43d5d37ff54a3b87cba0f7988ed.JPG

The story so far!

DSCN4330.JPG.86649a8b872f3bb22386bdbab3082493.JPG

Kind regards

Sandy

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 5 weeks later...

I am so glad I have a constructive hobby that I can do indoors!

The two chassis pictures are the present construction project. A GNR J15, LNER J54 0-6-0 Saddle tank. It has the wrong sized wheels on at the moment. The correct ones are on their way from Slaters. Bless them!

The Ugly Duckling double cab Sentinel is now complete and awaiting a coat of varnish and the Fowler is slowly making its way through paint shops .

Sandy

DSCN4347.JPG.2e7fd6d517789d96739cf34c5896c2d7.JPG

DSCN4348.JPG.2e86cbe37827d8a8c2b3f8d947aa1963.JPG

DSCN4349.JPG.4620342fdae9eaeacd1836b9434c7b97.JPG

DSCN4350.JPG.771109b46bcd086b46ef40955e2afac9.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...