Hi Rambler,

The 'kit' for the J54 was not quite a 'kit' in the true sense of the word. It was drawn by a gentleman who lived in Denmark and the etching tool was given to Walsworth Models to produce as a kit. Because of various issues with the etches it has not yet been marketed as a kit.

The etches are ok, up to a point, but the designer had a couple of unconventional ways of doing things mainly to do with the assembly of the smokebox/tank/firebox assembly. The cab also needs some careful thought as once it is assembled there is no further access to the inside.

Apart from these issues it goes together quite well and, as there are no other kits on the market in 7mm for this particular prototype, it fills an obvious gap.

If you fancy building one then I recommend you have a chat with John Percival at Walsworth models who I'm sure will be happy to advise you further.

Kind regards

Sandy

DSCN4378.JPG.a6a546d3317afccb854676e45c4e6069.JPG

Edited by Sandy Harper
additional info
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

'The Lady Armaghdale'. Hunslet 0-6-0T from the Agenoria stable. Nice kit to build but I didn't like the brass. For some reason it was difficult to solder. The kit has a few issues but nothing that can't be overcome and goes together quite well. She has been built and will be finished in 'as preserved' condition.

DSCN4410.JPG.d1af7edc347497624388dc183f754f58.JPG

DSCN4412.JPG.b53b2ea55a2d4f0eaf9d180092b874d6.JPG

Sandy

Edited by Sandy Harper
additional info
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sandy Harper said:

'The Lady Armaghdale'. Hunslet 0-6-0T from the Agenoria stable. Nice kit to build but I didn't like the brass. For some reason it was difficult to solder. The kit has a few issues but nothing that can't be overcome and goes together quite well. She has been built and will be finished in 'as preserved' condition.

DSCN4410.JPG.d1af7edc347497624388dc183f754f58.JPG

DSCN4412.JPG.b53b2ea55a2d4f0eaf9d180092b874d6.JPG

Sandy

Very nice. Painted as Thomas ?  .... I'll get my coat, taxi

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Hunslet has entered the paint shop but all is not well. Two brand new Humbrol Satin Red paint tins were the consistency of porridge and no amount of mechanical or manual stirring or thinning would smooth them out.

However two new etches arrived so I just had to get into the test build. The cattle van was excellent but the 'Glenbarry' tender needs some serious revision. John is on the case.

DSCN4419.JPG.cc3b724506a1198faa98fd6ad1638aed.JPG

Sandy

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Exiting recently from the paint shop is this Peter Drummond 'Banking Tank' designed for the HR to shove the heavy summer trains up 'the hill'. During quiter times they could also be seen on local passenger and freight services.

The kit is from the Lochgorm range and although a 'blow up' from 4mm scale it has been modified well to 7mm scale.

The only modified departure from the kit I have made is to convert the Slaters buffers to be 'self contained' using the system described by John Birch in a recent edition of the GOG Gazette.

DSCN4443.JPG.5f5a0a377c948d09f423e2f620210ea7.JPG

Sandy

• Like 15

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Continuing with the 'lockdown projects' this is a David Andrews kit for a rebuilt LMS Jubilee class 7XP 4-6-0. Only two of the Jubilee class were rebuilt in 1942 with the new larger No 2A boiler, Comet and Phoenix, releasing two original boilers into the spares pool for the remainder of the class. Further production of the  new No 2A taper boilers went to the Scots and Patriots  as their parallel boilers became uneconomical to repair.

This model will represent Phoenix shortly after she received the 'new' BR livery of black with LNWR lining and British Railways on the tender but before the fitting of smoke deflectors. She eventually received the BR Express livery of green with orange/black/orange lining and the crest on the tender sides.

DSCN4463.JPG.6aab17bba839b8f4946142990c657d93.JPG

Regards

Sandy

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3