Mr Craven's engines - LBSCR 1870s

burgundy

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Rather nice loco, whose manufacture are the tender springs?  They seem just what I need.

Thanks 

The springs are part of the kit and, if I remember correctly, are castings, probably made by 5&9 Models

Hope this helps.

Best wishes 

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Latest addition to the loco stock is another Craven/Stroudley hybrid. Completion has been accelerated by having to go into purdah for Coronavirus. 

Seaford was originally built in 1859 and seems to have spent its earlier years in London, being the first loco to work the East London line in 1869. When replaced by Terriers, it was rebuilt in 1873 at Brighton works with a new cab and side tanks, although much of the rest of the loco seems to have remained as built. Quite why Stroudley chose to give a 14 year old loco this kind of makeover is one of those mysteries, particularly as there were plenty of newer tank engines which might have been expected to be in service for rather longer. Evidently, there was work for small single driver tank engines in the quieter corners of the system. The end came in 1879 after, at various times, a derailment, blowing the slates off Newhaven shed roof and a series of burst boiler tubes.

The model uses a 3D print, developed by Killian Keane and based on a drawing by the late Colin Binnie. It has a scratch built chassis, with compensation (in the interests of keeping the driving wheels in touch with the track). The arrangement of the brakegear is somewhat original.  

A rather longer description of the project will be included in the Summer edition of LB&SCR Modellers Digest, which should appear towards the end of June.

DSC02911.JPG.9ea21700b9f607c75ad763f4946277e9.JPG

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/03/2020 at 18:52, burgundy said:

Latest addition to the loco stock is another Craven/Stroudley hybrid. Completion has been accelerated by having to go into purdah for Coronavirus. 

Seaford was originally built in 1859 and seems to have spent its earlier years in London, being the first loco to work the East London line in 1869. When replaced by Terriers, it was rebuilt in 1873 at Brighton works with a new cab and side tanks, although much of the rest of the loco seems to have remained as built. Quite why Stroudley chose to give a 14 year old loco this kind of makeover is one of those mysteries, particularly as there were plenty of newer tank engines which might have been expected to be in service for rather longer. Evidently, there was work for small single driver tank engines in the quieter corners of the system. The end came in 1879 after, at various times, a derailment, blowing the slates off Newhaven shed roof and a series of burst boiler tubes.

The model uses a 3D print, developed by Killian Keane and based on a drawing by the late Colin Binnie. It has a scratch built chassis, with compensation (in the interests of keeping the driving wheels in touch with the track). The arrangement of the brakegear is somewhat original.  

A rather longer description of the project will be included in the Summer edition of LB&SCR Modellers Digest, which should appear towards the end of June.

DSC02911.JPG.9ea21700b9f607c75ad763f4946277e9.JPG

Best wishes 

Eric 

Very nice (as are the preceding ones!) :good_mini:. I spend a lot of time looking at or working on LNER colours so a dip into different water is very refreshing. I have a Dieppe kit in the pile, though a few things are ahead of it... At least the completion of Seaford being accelerated by the lockdown is another of those good things to come out of it, including - as you say - what does indeed appear to be some interesting brake gear...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like many other people, lockdown has provided a sudden increase in time available for modelling (and gardening). The original plan was to try to resolve the outstanding issues on Roswell Mill, but, as the temperature rose and the loft room, where Roswell lives, got rather hotter than Hades, distractions kept getting in the way. Modelling was much more pleasant sitting in the garden under a sunshade and the problems on Roswell Mill were frustrating – so progress on a largely unplanned distraction moved on apace.

The distraction took the form of my first attempt at a completely scratch built loco. No 170 was one of J C Craven’s creations, which entered traffic in December 1863. It was a simple 2-4-0 side tank engine, which had the attraction of having not too many coupled wheels and a straight firebox, rather than the raised variety that most Craven locos feature. I am grateful to Branchlines, to Alan Gibson and to 5&9 models, who promptly supplied the drive train, running gear and cast fittings in the middle of lockdown.

The main components were drawn out to scale, stuck to brass sheet and fretted out the old fashioned way – wrongly in some cases! Once I had created my kit of parts, assembly went much like an etched kit. When I described the completion of Seaford (see above) during one of the Brighton Circle’s Zoom meetings (known as “Virtual Blatchingtons”, derived from our annual meeting at Blatchington Mill), one member suggested that building from scratch might not take much longer. On reflection, he has a point - and I know exactly what compromises I have made and that all the mistakes are my own.

DSC03188.JPG.8dc2803a11eaedf643d05d6b5ee99362.JPG

The loco is finished in the Brunswick green that the LB&SCR used before the arrival of Stroudley. In deference to another member of the Circle, I have resisted applying anything but the lightest weathering! Crew, ballast, couplings and numberplates are still outstanding.

Photo_19.JPG.273382491e71a91d5c05caed1b04d29b.JPG

No 170 makes a fascinating comparison with another Craven tank engine that I have built: the saddle tank No 166. Both entered traffic in December 1863, but otherwise are about as different as you could get. Craven evidently thought nothing of building a 2-4-0 side tank and a 0-4-2 saddle tank alongside each other in Brighton Works; he preferred to experiment. He also built quite a number of outside framed tank engines and a batch of wing tanks for good measure. It is interesting to speculate what the loco crews made of it. Conditions on the footplate of 170 must have been extremely cramped. The crew had to step over the driving wheel splashers to get onto the footplate, leaving a gap of about 4’ 6” between the wheels. You must then subtract the width of the springs and the reversing lever, leaving a maximum of 4’ working space. In that respect at least, the 0-4-2 saddle tank must have been a much better arrangement, with the springs mounted above the outside frames of the trailing wheels and no splashers to get in the way. No doubt it had its own idiosyncrasies.

DSC03183.JPG.cefada75409ab255c8f9cb21c99c73de.JPG

A detailed write up of construction will appear in Modellers Digest 12, which should appear shortly before Christmas.

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 9 months later...

Latest addition to the collection of Craven/Stroudley rebuilds is No 400, originally constructed as a saddle tank to operate the Hailsham Flyer - connecting Hailsham with the major traffic hub of Polegate. Gary Kemp's model of the train is documented in LB&SCR Modellers' Digest 12.  

As a somewhat qualified success, Stroudley rebuilt the loco as a well tank and used it as the Brighton Works shunter,  duly painted in the full passenger livery. In later days it migrated to Earlswood and was painted in goods green. 

Javier has provided 3D prints of both versions.

A more comprehensive write up will appear in LB&SCR Modellers' Digest 13 which should be out in late June, so, for the moment, I attach a couple of pictures.

400.1.jpg.30280dec31af4aeb894922272de5c70e.jpg

The box on the left hand end is the bunker - about the size of a large domestic coal scuttle.  A well upholstered, whitemetal fireman would make a considerable difference to the overall weight. 

400.2.jpg.31d89bafe7b2177533a576468170eb5a.jpg

On the other hand, he would emphasise the rather crowded nature of the footplate.  Besides, the crew need to be quite gymnastic to get onto the footplate at all.  The steps either side lead you straight into the bunker and brake standard on the fireman's side and the reversing lever on the driver's side. It looks as though you need to edge round the footplate and duck under the bar at the back. 

400.3.jpg.be549e7a9e892c8617e33b803b0b2061.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen a water filler hidden just behind the front buffer beam before. 

More to follow in Digest 13. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

Edited by burgundy
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 8 months later...

As yet another distraction from wiring up Hurstmonceux, this project emerged from the "unmade kit mountain".  Kit is perhaps a slightly generous description of the set of scratch builder aids that Ian White produced some years ago for members of the Brighton Circle, but the etches provide a very good starting point for a loco that is probably not on Rapido or Hornby's "must do" list. The other set of frets was made up into a 0-4-2 saddle tank, which was described in Modelling Inspiration 6. All references to this publication seem to have disappeared completely off the map: I wonder whether it was the best idea to have a title that abbreviated to MI 5 and MI 6? 

The tender is from an e bay rescue of one of @5&9Models kits. 

1106003043_IMG_20220222_145909(2).jpg.8f22b93ffbe96ff0a97ebabe5721cc93.jpg

The lovely curvy footplate was an interesting challenge. 

As a "back burner project", progress may be slow  even slower than usual. 

Best wishes 

Eric  

Edited by burgundy
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, ianmaccormac said:

Hi Eric

I have made a small start on one of these. If you want a set of resin 3d printed parts, just shout and I will move them up the to do list.

Cheers, Ian

Ian 

Thank you. The offer is much appreciated!

Best wishes 

Eric 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Eric, I have started one for 7mm so will shoot these down to 4mm if you want them. Back left to front right is chimney; dome with s/v; plain dome; backhead; safety valve cover with two levers; backhead mounted salter springs; Craven loco to guard communicator gong; front springs; driving wheel springs; clack valves; whistle; tender springs. Anything else I can sort if you wish. Cheers, Ian

Eric 2.jpg

Edited by ianmaccormac
reload photo
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Oh dear.

A further "wiring distraction opportunity" arrived, courtesy of Killian Keane a.k.a. Small Loco Works.   

This is straight out of the box, with just a quick blast of rattle can red primer. 

DSC03385.JPG.1c9795f52f0c8fa423f8b42d79d3c03b.JPG

DSC03391.JPG.67a243a001fea60adc8d03b36ecb11c7.JPG

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Ian's post is very timely as the last couple of weeks have seen some progress on this project. I find modelling is very pleasant when sitting  on a south facing balcony! 

IMG_20220331_181614.jpg.0e527507de6985fb7484b7626421d9d1.jpg

The boiler is soldered together with the raised firebox and the smokebox. The outside frames have the springs attached. The driving wheels are pressed onto the extended axles and the tender now has the  handrails attached.    

IMG_20220326_171336.jpg.cb7029abad52945bebd42c0091ee977f.jpg

It is beginning to come together!

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 5&9Models said:

It's great to see these all together in one place, a very interesting cross section of late Craven and early Stroudley engineering practice all beautifully modelled.

Dare I ask where next?

Fully agree with Chris and I think this is such a nice way to deal with the great RMWeb meltdown! Even if you'd gone back and replaced them where they'd previously occurred in the thread, many - including myself - might not have realised they were back, whereas this way, we see them again straight away:

I don't think it's a lazy solution at all! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/02/2023 at 13:19, 5&9Models said:

Dare I ask where next?

While I had the airbrush loaded with Brunswick green,  I thought that I would give this one a quick spray. 

IMG_20230302_123231.jpg.f7ce9688e4024ad07d84884af981596c.jpg

IMG_20230302_123453.jpg.04099e2fb5530c2d97e86579b0907fd4.jpg

3D print courtesy of @Killian keane. Brass frames have been fretted out but not yet assembled.

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...