Mr Craven's engines - LBSCR 1870s

burgundy

Ian

Thank you - and I hope that your back improves (not least as I shall be looking for a coupled loco on which to try out the new chassis jig)!

The body and tender got a coat of rattlecan red primer yesterday - but, with the strength of the wind, so did quite a lot of the surrounding area (as I prefer to spray paint outside). Anything more precise is going to have to wait until the weather settles down (and ideally warms up) a bit.

Best wishes  

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

One small fitting that remains to be attached to the tender is the Stroudley and Rusbridge alarm mechanism. This was an early electrically operated "communication cord" - in the days when most other railways were using long lengths of string. It is the rather small device at the right hand side of the tender with the bell clearly visible.

attachicon.gif494-Glynde-a (2).jpg

As a point of correction, a discussion on the Brighton Circle e group has pointed out that the device illustrated here is not the Stroudley and Rusbridge equipment, but an earlier system employed under J C Craven.  

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's wonderful Eric. I know that we all dwell on the deficiencies of what we produce, but the - almost - end result is really something, especially in Stroudley's typically Victorian livery. 

Adam

I hope that some of us might get to see this wee beastie in the flesh in the near future.

Dieppe could easily make an appearance at a future meeting of NWSEMGSAG. If you meant the granddaughter, that would involve a trip to Atlanta.............. 

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Eric.

If you squint, it almost looks like the WC&P's first Clevedon or Weston Furness Sharp Stewarts...

Nice paint job. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh so to speak.

Very nice looking loco, Eric.  How did you persuade the lining around the splashers.  I have tried to line out my Midland locos with a lining pen but am really not happy with the result.  Using transfer lining would, perhaps, be the answer.

Derek

How did you persuade the lining around the splashers.  I have tried to line out my Midland locos with a lining pen but am really not happy with the result.  Using transfer lining would, perhaps, be the answer.

Derek

Derek

The splashers are actually the easy bit, as the lining that is available for the Stroudley passenger livery provides arcs that match the relevant wheel diameters. There is also "inside out" lining for the curve on the sandbox. Where it falls short is the much sharper curve that goes round the opening on a Stroudley cab (not a problem on this loco) and all the twiddly bits around the frames. In those cases, my approach is to cut out short sections of straight or less curved line and piece it together in a series of tangents. A touch of MicroSol helps it all to settle down flat. The frames on this one were an absolute killer and had me wondering whether a lining pen might not be easier!    

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Eric      

Idle curiosity department: who does the Stroudley lining? That's a new one on me. Is it a commercial product or available through, say, the Brighton Circle? Still impressive nonetheless.

Adam

Idle curiosity department: who does the Stroudley lining? That's a new one on me. Is it a commercial product or available through, say, the Brighton Circle?

Adam

Adam

They are available through the Brighton Circle and are an example of the group getting together to fill a gap in the market in which we were unable to interest commercial suppliers. Similarly, the kit is the product of a Circle member, who was interested in the early Stroudley period.   

Best wishes

Eric   

Thanks Eric - I ask because I have a Hornby/Dapol body for 'Brighton Works' in its BR guise and this, of course, has the wrong splashers. The easiest wasy to correct this would be to slice them off and start again, the more so because the smokebox needs work too and if a transfer could be had this might push the loco' to the head of the works queue...

Adam

... do hold the hand on the weathering...

Warmly seconded. We should never forget that not only was there the cleaning labour available to the railway, and the pride in being the high speed transport system; but it was also easier to keep locos clean. No superheating. So what came out of the chimneys was not 'glued on' as badly as later became the case with higher temperature cylinder lubricants.

Looks very lovely in the layout scene, with the fairly fine looking ballast up to the rail webs as seen in so many Victorian era photos.

I feel terribly flattered by all the comments on this thread and the "likes" and "craftsmanship" votes, but can I draw out a significant lesson in all this? This is the third etched brass kit that I have ever built. I admit that I have been building other kinds of kit for a long time, starting with 2/- Airfix Spitfires (which dates me) and I have graduated through whitemetal locos and assorted rolling stock. But the resolve to tackle the heap of etched kits, and the black arts of metalwork, only hardened two and a half years ago when I retired from full time work. Since then, I have built Washington and a little saddle tank, which was described in MI5. I hope that each has shown an improvement over the one before and the learning curve has certainly made each one slightly less of a struggle. But, to my mind, the key lesson is that, if I can do it, so can almost anyone else. The first step is to get over the JFDI moment (Kindly Just Do It) and after that patience, perseverance and a fair amount of profanity will get you a long way. So, I sincerely hope that this thread will encourage one or two others to "have a go" and get their fingers singed. :yes:

Best wishes

Eric        

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very nice indeed Eric. It looks beautiful.

I dunno about the next project though. Maybe a Pendilino?

Or something else more modern image from the 20th Century!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Polegate
How many pre-grouping railway companies can offer kits for two express passenger locos from the 1860’s? OK, they are actually both in 1870’s condition (as modified by Stroudley) and therefore join the other 1870’s Brighton locos, but I do feel remarkably fortunate to be so spoiled for choice when it comes to building such early pre-grouping locos. The cross-over years between J C Craven and William Stroudley appeal to me as one of the most interesting periods, with locos dating from the earliest days of railways on the one hand, to Stroudley designs that lasted until near enough the end of steam (the Terriers) on the other. Although 1870 marks the watershed between Craven and Stroudley, many Craven locos (and carriages) lasted well into the 1890s and much of Stroudley’s initial effort was directed towards maintaining and upgrading existing stock before he was able to introduce his own designs. As a result, for most of the 1870s, most mainline trains would have been in the charge of Craven locos – singles and 2-4-0s.
Whereas the preceding pages of this thread document construction of an etched brass kit from EBM for one of the dozen Stephenson singles of 1864, this latest section relates to the test build of a predominantly whitemetal kit for one of the 6 singles delivered in 1867 by Nasmyth Wilson. Their order was a classic example of “how not to buy things”, with the Loco Committee overruling Craven and then being faced with an inability to pay for the locos when they were delivered. Once in service, however, they seem to have been useful locos and all lasted in service for over 20 years.

post-9472-0-56881500-1497689864_thumb.jpg
The kit came to me from 5&9 Models with the body, including the outside frames, part built by Chris Cox, and an invitation to complete the trial build and finish off the instructions. The inside frames and the working bits of the chassis are in etched brass and nickel silver and have been provided by EBM. The artwork has been upgraded from that for the Stephenson single, which makes sense, given the similarities between the two designs. My brief was effectively to make sure that the two halves come together correctly and to be the first person to find any inconsistencies! The design has been modified to take account of the additional thickness of the footplate in whitemetal and subsequent assembly has identified other minor improvements that can be made to the artwork.

post-9472-0-45831700-1497689786_thumb.jpg
One advantage of whitemetal in this context is its weight! Dieppe has had weight crammed into every available space, but this loco (it has become “Polegate”) starts off with a hefty cast structure – not least the monster of a steam dome! Getting a single to pull a useful load is not just about adding more lead: you also have to make sure that the driving wheels stay in touch with the rails – which means some kind of compensation. In the absence of any better ideas, I have followed the same formula as for Dieppe, with three point suspension, based on the two driving wheels and a pivot in the centre of the leading axle, which is free to rock. The two trailing wheels are lightly sprung to stay on the rails but avoid taking too much weight. I have also tried to arrange the tender as a semi-trailer, Sharman fashion, to put some weight on the rear of the loco, to counter the mass at the front end.

post-9472-0-63090200-1497689829_thumb.jpg
One downside of whitemetal is that it takes up more space and this became apparent when trying to fit the motor into the wasp waisted firebox. Metal was removed from the inside face of the firebox very, very carefully to ease out the space for a 1424 flat can. The drive train is completed by a 68:1 gearbox from HighLevel.  
More details and photos appear in LB&SCR Modellers' Digest issue 5, which has just appeared on line.
Best wishes
Eric

Edited by burgundy
  • Like 17

• 1 month later...