What was George St. Goods

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

This is a brief illustration of an extension (OK so it's another stabling point/TMD) to a great EM layout (George Street Goods) built by Allen Atherley (thanks mate) and acquired by myself some time back.
It visited the 2010 Nottingham Show in its original format and was due to visit the Retford Show this weekend (2012) but circumstances conspired against this.
I'm a pretty basic sort of modeller with restricted time and so I rely heavily on the ready made and kit bash breed. However I have built most of the new track-work and I'm quite pleased with my home made scenic 'pods' which I'd be happy to explain further if anyone wants to see 'behind the scenes' so to speak.
Just for fun folk can play 'spot the product placement' including some very nice Marcway points that had to replace my failed attempt at a three way left hander.
I have enjoyed doing this project and why diesel you may ask? Well, my eldest lad (now 44) is a child of the transition/blue era and so this is our chance to spend some quality time playing with trains loco's that can make a noise and sometimes behave in a very strange way :nono: .
Perhaps you will spot St George's Goods (as it is now called (get it?) at an exhibition in the future? If so please feel free to offer some advice and comment and ask why I did this or that and maybe even how.
SGY is about 16' long, 2/3' wide and doesn't really have a fiddle yard but there is a run round rear track/loop and a 'hidden' cassette area behind the big goods shed.
It is DCC (NCE Power Cab & 5 amp booster)) and conventional 12/16V for lights & points (via CDU & Hex Frog Juicers).
The geographic situation will be generic but sort of Midlandy (Shirebrookish) so that I can run what I like from around 1960 to mid 80s (just pre Sectorisation). It is all diesel at the moment as my small collection of EM steam loco's have not yet had their chips.
In an early 70s situation and onwards I hope to run Clan Line and another one or two preserved steam loco's that were around at these times. I'm going to need to get a huge grip with my EM steam loco conversion skills though :superstition:
post-2326-0-27254500-1353074193_thumb.jpg
post-2326-0-65944000-1353074212_thumb.jpg
post-2326-0-75892600-1353074228_thumb.jpg
post-2326-0-02137000-1353074246_thumb.jpg
post-2326-0-17997900-1353074277_thumb.jpg
post-2326-0-38107800-1353074293_thumb.jpg
Cheers,
P @ 36E

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This original post was really trying to show how basic bits of Dapol and Wills kits were cobbled together to make a board joint 'cover'. It was also making a point that someone starting out "could do that", which is what this layout is all about really.

Now this Dapol stuff is OK but really not very 'scale'. Let's face it, the handrails are about a foot wide.

Can anyone suggest, apart from me scratching plasticard and strut until I'm going barmy, where I might source parts for a decent foot/access bridge? I think I've got the one at Cardiff Canton or Devonport Kings Road Goods Yard lurking in the back of my head somewhere!

I fancy doing an etched one but that might just be too expensive. Plastic might be easier?

A dear old friend of mine (RA Watson [Wally], of this Parish) did offer to do one but I'm not sure he is in a position to do that now?

P

This original post was really trying to show how basic bits of Dapol and Wills kits were cobbled together to make a board joint 'cover'. It was also making a point that someone starting out "could do that", which is what this layout is all about really.

Now this Dapol stuff is OK but really not very 'scale'. Let's face it, the handrails are about a foot wide.

Can anyone suggest, apart from me scratching plasticard and strut until I'm going barmy, where I might source parts for a decent foot/access bridge? I think I've got the one at Cardiff Canton or Devonport Kings Road Goods Yard lurking in the back of my head somewhere!

I fancy doing an etched one but that might just be too expensive. Plastic might be easier?

A dear old friend of mine (Wally, of this Parish) did offer to do one but I'm not sure he is in a position to do that now?

P

e

Phil,

Sorry to say that since then I have lost the grip in the right hand and the left one is gradually failing so practical modelling has literally taken out of my hands!l

I am now in a residential care home but can still do you a CAD drawing of the Kings Road bridge if you require, my electric wheel chair has sufficient range.

Wallyv

• RMweb Premium

St George's Yard was erected yesterday and made to work whilst the England Footy Team were not and were being humiliated yet again :scratchhead:

OK so I can't work out why some Yard Lamps are not working but hey ho. 

Yes, it will be at Retford today and tomorrow. so if you are local and have some spare time do pop in and say hello. :sarcastichand:

P @36E

P.S. I've got a really nice Diesel BT in blue now so there's a treat! 

Archived