• RMweb Premium

So how is the single slip then Mike? You mentioned that it was proving troublesome when I chatted to you at Halifax. Having now built two of them in as many months, I can confirm that they are a pain in the backside to get running smoothly, especially in OO because of the clearances required through check rails, etc., as well as keeping the alignment and gauge true.

I suppose that the ones I built had the advantage of using PCB so adjustment is a tad easier with the application of a soldering iron rather than dealing with glued down chairs.

I do hope that this conversation is not putting people off building their own track because with a bit of perseverance, you do end up with something that looks and works better than the Peco equivalent, to the dimensions you want rather than are dictated.

My latest track efforts can be seen on The Mill thread.

• Like 2

So how is the single slip then Mike? You mentioned that it was proving troublesome when I chatted to you at Halifax. Having now built two of them in as many months, I can confirm that they are a pain in the backside to get running smoothly, especially in OO because of the clearances required through check rails, etc., as well as keeping the alignment and gauge true.

I suppose that the ones I built had the advantage of using PCB so adjustment is a tad easier with the application of a soldering iron rather than dealing with glued down chairs.

I do hope that this conversation is not putting people off building their own track because with a bit of perseverance, you do end up with something that looks and works better than the Peco equivalent, to the dimensions you want rather than are dictated.

My latest track efforts can be seen on The Mill thread.

Hi Jason,

I have chosen to add two copperclad sleepers which I can 'manipulate' the rail to the optimum position before gluing down the plastic chairs. I have removed the old chairs and replaced them to keep the rail height correct. At the moment it's shall we say tentative, will be doing a bit on it this evening so time will tell.

• Like 3

Hi Mike, I was thinking of the most wonderful Model Railway Shop in the Garden Centre.

Hi Andy,

Will you stop mentioning Garden Centres, it gives me a cold shiver. Matters not what you buy there it means WORK to do and I have more important things like slips to get right Hahaha

• Like 3

Hi all,

Looks like I MAY have solved the slip problem, I left it last night with stock actually running through the correct route in all directions. I'll test it for a while before committing solvent to the remaining chairs! Here's hoping!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Will you stop mentioning Garden Centres, it gives me a cold shiver. Matters not what you buy there it means WORK to do and I have more important things like slips to get right Hahaha

There's one near here with a model shop...

edit - and looking back I see it's the one you were talking about, that'll teach me to just latch on to a post :D

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 3

Hi all,

Following some hair tearing out over the past few weeks trying in vain to correct derailments on the siding slip I resorted to a P-Way gang answer....

post-5296-0-65358600-1414097002.jpg

Ripped the guts out of the bleeding thing, strange thing was you can see the gaps in the blade rail and a BOLSTER wagon ran through this without any problem, unbelievable!

post-5296-0-49803900-1414097020_thumb.jpg

This is the re-laid offending slip as of yesterday, ignore the long check rail in the centre its not fixed down fully.

post-5296-0-45270200-1414097036_thumb.jpg

View from opposite end

post-5296-0-98083400-1414097480.jpg

View showing both slips and the siding exit

post-5296-0-52427300-1414097494.jpg

View from opposite end

post-5296-0-61149600-1414097056_thumb.jpg

The Down refuge exit point

post-5296-0-10612600-1414097084_thumb.jpg

Both points and slip on the main lines now ballasted and in process of being glued down

post-5296-0-29520000-1414097549.jpg

It looks a gawd awful mess but all will be well, trust me!

post-5296-0-76932900-1414097102_thumb.jpg

Last job is to weight down the glued sections as currently there is nothing other that double sided tape holding this lot in place!

post-5296-0-87583600-1414097064.jpg

Time the gangers had a brew-up don't you think, they are sitting and standing alongside the scrap rail removed from the slip!

There is only this last slip to ballast and that is the last section on scenic area to be treated as such - halleluiah!!

• Like 10

Couple of typo's in previous post, sorry.

Also meant to add the copperclad shown in the repaired slip were put in to allow some movement which can't be done with glued chairs, I wish I had thought of this at the beginning not at the bleeding end!

• RMweb Premium

I sympathise with the slip fiddling, hope it works! Mine still sometimes derails, sometimes it works... I've got a couple of check rails to put in and a few bits can move a little because some parts are a bit sparse on chairs, I hope that's all it is.

Hi guys,

Thanks re: above comments, unfortunately I don't drink so a brew will do!

Over the weekend I hope to have all the scenic section ballasted and tidied up ready for continuation of the GRASS on the layout frontage.

• Like 4

Hi guys,

Thanks re: above comments, unfortunately I don't drink so a brew will do!

Over the weekend I hope to have all the scenic section ballasted and tidied up ready for continuation of the GRASS on the layout frontage.

A Scotsman that doesn't DRINK, what is the world coming to, it means I'll need two shots in my coffee later, hahhaha.

Good to know the Jim Slip is sorted and you'll soon be back to the grass, I should be at that stage in about 12 Months time I hope, but I will need an open day before then, hahhaha.

All the best mate, have a good day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think any one who builds track will agree that slips are not the easiest of track to build but quite satisfying to do. Have you tried the trick of using a small mirror to look along the rails. It gives a different view point. One thing to beware of if you push a gauge hard up against a rail it can distort the chairs a little (less than half a mil) and will spring back when pressure is realeased. I found that puting a small brass screw in under some key points and soldering the rails dow. n onto these holds bits firm while assembling the rest. They can be painted black and hidden mostly in the ballast. These days I avoid that by making the key assemblies such as the crossing with wing rails up with small strips of scrap etch which can then be expoxied onto the timbers.

This is an example of a 2mm one

post-8525-0-20846500-1413476344_thumb.jpg

If using templot print two copies of the turnout/slip and use one to build the assemblies on and the other to build the finished job on.

post-8525-0-34214400-1413476318_thumb.jpg

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The bits I found hardest were trying to keep the gaps between rails as close as possible (to stop wheels falling into the gap) and trying to ensure that the running rails all aligned as perfectly as possible, which was a swine to do on Bodgit's as both running lines are on a curve.

• RMweb Premium

The alignment was a nightmare - adjusting one bit always seems to throw another out. I found soldering the whole thing rather tricky too. It was very satisfying to see once it was (mostly) finished and (mostly) worked though. I've decided that I find hand-built track very rewarding, even when it is frustrating. At some point in the future I've got a three-way turnout coming up, that should be fun, I've not even got my head around how they work let alone how to build one... Don't think there's one at Dent.

Is your slip curving as well? That sounds even trickier!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a decent thread on the Templot site for building three way turnouts and although there are common crossings in awkward places, I found it easier than the slips. Think of it as a simple turnout within a simple turnout and you'll be fine.

Edited to add that I built mine with the wing rails and switch blades as one and then gapped them later with a piercing saw, which is what I also plan to do with the track on The Mill. The gap is thin but to date (on Bacup), I've had no issues with heat expansion and the room the layout is in can get pretty warm when there are a few people in there. No problems when it was in the attic in Oxford either, and that was like an oven in mid Summer

• Like 3

Hi Guys, your all intriguing me with point building, and as with a lot of things I want to learn not just how to do it, but how to do it properly, I may just try one before I order all the ones for Bitton, as I'm sure that if one works there's no reason why I cant do all of them.

I will need 2 x 48'' Left, 2 x 48'' Right, 2 x 36'' Left and about a 54'' Right and a 72'' Y. That's taking the Marcway plans but until I get the board tops in position then I wont know for sure if they'll work.

The whole thing will be built around the Trailing Point and curved Single Slip that Jason is building, that MUST be the first thing to be offered into position so that I can work out where the rest will go.

Now I have my work bench in position I have the facilities to do the job, all I need is to get some power into the Shed.

Come on Electrician WHERE ARE YOU?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The alignment was a nightmare - adjusting one bit always seems to throw another out. I found soldering the whole thing rather tricky too. It was very satisfying to see once it was (mostly) finished and (mostly) worked though. I've decided that I find hand-built track very rewarding, even when it is frustrating. At some point in the future I've got a three-way turnout coming up, that should be fun, I've not even got my head around how they work let alone how to build one... Don't think there's one at Dent.

Yep, although the route back into the yard isn't on much of a curve and I managed to (had to) keep both routes straight across the vees.

attachicon.gif2011-10-21 17.55.58.jpg

The lead flashing around the chimney stacks are self-adhesive labels printed grey and cut as required

attachicon.gif2011-10-21 18.21.11.jpg

One side almost complete

Hi Mike, 

love the layout, but one thing, wouldn't the lead flashing be placed over the tiles to keep the rain out rather than under? I'm not criticising, just trying to be helpful. Keep up the fabulous work.

post-5373-0-33737900-1414157962.jpg

Boogy

Edit due to bad english.

Edited by boogaloo

I also find track building therapeutic/ relaxing.

My next layout is to be a. GWR BLT (shock horror on a S & C thread) with about 6 turnouts. What will I do after that... Build some slips / three way turnouts for fun of course ....

• Like 3