• RMweb Premium

Didn't have chance to chuck much stock in but have packed a Black Five and a short rake of 21 ton hoppers at various stages of completion (3 of which are EM but I chucked a bag of skinny OO wheels in). Oh, and a Stanier brake van for the tail end.

I remembered to chuck a blanking pin in too so it can run on DC.

Looking forward to it :)

• Like 3

Morning all, had a very pleasant evening playing trains with Jason including a masterclass in improving my compliment of Black 5's!!!! I trust you got back to the hotel okay mate.

Pictures will have to wait until later as work gets in the way of a good time as usual.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, I had a fantastic evening and can inform you all that Dent is even better in the flesh than in photos. Took 25 minutes to get back, not bad at all.

Thanks again Mike :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It wouldn't go down the helix because of my shortened drawbar between the loco and tender (I made my own, including the electrical connectivity for the tender pickups - no tight curves on Bacup and the gap on out of the box ones is MASSIVE).

I think that rules that improvement out for Mike's fleet :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It got up one spiral but not down the other, and I de-chipped it (2 minute job) as I didn't want to fry the chip. All being well, I'll take the L&Y A Class next time.

Mike dug out a vintage kit built G2A that hadn't turned a wheel in years and it ran like a dream - expect to see more of it soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

HANDSOME, really really HANDSOME Mate.

Interesting comment, Andy - I'm assuming you're referring to the loco in post # 2532.

I "didn't" see the loco - I was more interested in the fencing and foliage in the background!

Lovely work, Mike. Nice pic, Jason.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike's been quiet this evening, wonder if he is attacking his Black Fives with a scalpel, pin vice and files, followed by removing that erroneous and frankly ridiculous shelf from all the Hornby Stanier tenders? I've not managed to persuade Jeff to hack chunks out of his RTR locos yet, maybe Mike is more easily swayed? :D

Saying that, I have more to do on 45026 (pictured above) yet as I have the Brassmasters detailing kit to tackle yet (on this and two more). The daylight above the bogie and lack of AWS is starting to annoy me now :)

Hi Guys'

Sorry been another of those days culminating with yet another visit to the doctor's at 7pm!!! I then watched the end of the Liverpool game and the end of them in Europe this year!

Anyway back to trains, thoroughly enjoyed my evening with Jason, I even learned a few things so that's a bonus. (if I remember them-I did remember F5 though Jason!!)

Did not take a lot of photos surprisingly, I think due mainly to intellectual conversation :jester:

Anyway here are the few pictures I took...

post-5296-0-99975400-1424984872_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-60882000-1424984880_thumb.jpg

Ex:LMS Class 5 4-6-0 No 45026 is ample power for the empty 21Ton hoppers as they amble sedately through Dent station.

This is of course Jason's set he brought complete with 3 link couplings and detailed to hell and back! It certainly makes a lot of my stuff look like train set in comparison when I see so many still with their shiny 'out of the box' look - I will get there honest, but definitely not the 3 links!

post-5296-0-68163700-1424984889_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-92179400-1424984896_thumb.jpg

Ex: LMS pairing of Ivatt 2-6-0 No. 43154 piloting train loco Class 5 4-6-0 No. 45253 having managed the slog uphill are now trundling through Dent and soon to be facing the 1:100 decent to Settle Junction with a very heavy steel girder train.

The Ivatt was once Andy Peters' of this Parish!

Its a pity about the spirals causing problems to detailed items and I did have a rush of blood to the head last week with a proposed solution, when I explained it to Jason I think he suffered the same! I'll put it down to the dog bite and leave it there!

Will definitely be in the den tomorrow night with a few mates but I hope to go to Preston show on Saturday all being well.

• Like 19

Morning all,

Jason, that Black5 is simply beautiful, and I bet Jeff has copied the images as blueprint for his future wagon building marathon! Andy, lovely comments with which I wholeheartedly agree. Hope your 'playing trains' session tonight produces some mor wonderful images, particularly of 'proper' locos!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Nice one's mate, lovely looking Locos and Stock.

Them there wall look good buddy.

I think you're a little biased eh!  :jester:

Morning all,

Jason, that Black5 is simply beautiful, and I bet Jeff has copied the images as blueprint for his future wagon building marathon! Andy, lovely comments with which I wholeheartedly agree. Hope your 'playing trains' session tonight produces some mor wonderful images, particularly of 'proper' locos!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I'll do my best Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Spurred on from the other night, I started to further hack another Black Five up this morning, to add the Brassmasters detailing kit to it, with the result being that it is a miracle I have got to work on time :D

This one has had everything that 45026 has had done to it but will be taken a level further and will at some point in the distant future be converted to EM (it already has two Comet bogies - one OO and one EM - and the Gibson tender wheels are on EM axles awaiting regauging when the time comes).

• Like 3

Jason,

Be nice if you had time to do a 'blow by blow' account of that work - it looks like a good kit from the pics. on their web site and I'd particularly like to see the finished article when you've worked your magic on it!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

So far, all I have done is start chain drilling out the area in the coal space behind the coal access doors, with the etch to glue on once done. I also began thinning down the edges of the tender top and area round the water filler so it looks a bit more metal thickness than oversized moulded plastic, the million dollar question being how thin can you go? I did this to the tender on my 8F and to be honest, you would never notice it unless up close.

It's not going to be a quick job as I have a lot of other tasks on too (that take higher priority) butI will try to remember to take photos along the way and post it all up at once in the Bacup thread.

• Like 1

Jason,

Be nice if you had time to do a 'blow by blow' account of that work - it looks like a good kit from the pics. on their web site and I'd particularly like to see the finished article when you've worked your magic on it!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I seem to remember Jason used this thread as a starting point for his conversions, have a gander at the duck http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/19802-detailing-a-Hornby-black-5/?hl=brassmasters

• Like 1

Hi all,

Okay guys you have been very patient so here are a few pic's from last night.

post-5296-0-13873400-1425145718_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-84250200-1425145726_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-36013700-1425145734_thumb.jpg

BR Class 9F 2-10-0 is hauling the regular Workington-Teesside steel train and travels through Dent cautiously given the downhill gradient approaching in just a few miles.

post-5296-0-88638700-1425145740_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-44359200-1425145753_thumb.jpg

A couple of not often seen shots of the fiddleyard below the south end scenic board.

post-5296-0-44344200-1425145761_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-96553800-1425145767_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-91606400-1425145776_thumb.jpg

A bit of time lapse has brought the steel train on a couple of decades and now in charge of a pair of English Electric Class 20's No's. 20023 in the brash Railfreight livery in tandem with 20187 in standard BR Blue.

I went to Preston show today and here follows several shots from the show

post-5296-0-90705600-1425145786_thumb.jpg

St. Marnock MPD is hosting one of Stanier's finest in the shape of 46238 'City of Carlisle' and its my own favourite of the class.

to be continued after tea!.....

• Like 15