Great set of layout pictures and a very interesting idea with the roller blind.

Its annoyed me for a long time, how does the track get dirty in the fiddle yard when there are trains sat there most of the time which of course prevent you cleaning it.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies Mike for going slightly off topic here, but saw on a Facebook page (Railways Illustrated) today that the real Dent Station is currently up for sale ;)

http://www.thwestateagents.co.uk/property/residential/for-sale/sedbergh/cowgill/100794004261

FOR SALE - DENT STATION, ENGLAND’S HIGHEST MAINLINE RAILWAY STATION

Only the third time it has been offered for sale since being built in 1877

Offers over £425,000

Situated on the legendary Settle to Carlisle railway line, Dent is England's highest mainline railway station, and the station house is now being put up for sale by its owner, Robin Hughes.

Robin purchased the classic Victorian station property in 2006 and following its sympathetic restoration, it has been available for holiday rental.

Situated in beautiful Dentdale, Yorkshire, this iconic Grade II Listed property is now on the market either as a private home, or to continue to provide a distinctly different self-catering experience. This is a destination property that will not only attract those with a passion for railways, but also those who want to enjoy the perfect vantage point from which to take in some of the Dales’ most breathtaking natural scenery.

Dent Station opened in 1877, and is around eight miles north of the famous Ribblehead Viaduct. The station sits 1,150ft above sea level, includes approximately 1/3 of an acre of land, and positioned alongside the railway line that weaves its way from the infamous Blea Moor Tunnel four miles away.

The former station house and platform have been restored to the highest standards by Robin Hughes, a chartered surveyor who has always loved the railway. Steam excursions run on the line next to the converted station at weekends with visits from the Flying Scotsman and Tornado. Robin says: “It is tremendous to hear the distant whistle of an approaching steam train; it’s a sound that transports you back to a bygone era. Imagine stepping outside onto the platform with a mug of tea to enjoy the pleasures of Dentdale: views, fresh air, wonderful wildlife and a real-life train set on your doorstep!”

This unusual property has been finished with a classic ‘first class’ period railway look. The restored woodwork is finished in Midland Railway maroon and cream, while inside a coal-fired Rayburn is welcoming, complemented by modern underfloor heating.

Commented Robin Hughes, “I bought Dent Station in 2006 and ensured it was painstakingly renovated so it could operate as a comfortable holiday rental property, while retaining all its authentic and historical features. It has been a lot of fun, and I’ve met some fascinating people as a result, but I need to concentrate on other business interests, so very reluctantly it is now time to move on.”

The accommodation has been imaginatively designed, with the former booking hall now a spacious lounge and the original ladies’ waiting room transformed into a kitchen/dining area. The three bedrooms sleep a total of six people. New bathrooms have been carefully chosen to provide a traditional look, in keeping with the property.

Around five passenger trains in each direction link Leeds and Carlisle and stop at Dent daily, and the line is regularly used by freight trains. Dent Station is a great place from which to explore the Dales by train, with seven day rover tickets available allowing exploration of surrounding towns and villages. Dent village itself is around four miles away and has its own brewery. The trip from Settle to Carlisle is regarded as one of the most scenic and quintessential railway journeys in the world.

This holiday home is a must for those who love the great outdoors, all the comforts of modern living and a good measure of romantic nostalgia thrown in.

Joint agents
J R Hopper & Co
Tel: 01969 667744
www.jrhopper.com

Thomson Hayton Winkley Estate Agents
Tel: 01524 271999
www.thwestateagents.co.uk

Dent Station - sales brochure

www.dentstation.co.uk

• Like 1

I was up at Dent yesterday returning Dent station signalman Jack Sedgwick's records to his daughter, they were slightly out of my time period but I did get some interesting snippets to work with. The weather was very poor with a thick mist overhanging the station so it was not worth any photos, I did do some orienteering over the moor to reach the spillway I'm currently working on. I have seen several photos of it but it was difficult to judge the dimensions of the trough but now I know its around 3ft wide my guesswork is pretty spot-on. Walking across the moor was akin to walking on a massive sponge with each step you sunk down about 6 inches and idiot me was wearing suede shoes.

post-5296-0-17496900-1528050926_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-66336700-1528050939_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-26084800-1528050953_thumb.jpg

and one of Monkey Beck for luck.

post-5296-0-67862000-1528050972_thumb.jpg

The station building is indeed up for sale with two agents, mind you at prices FROM £700.00 per week for the station and £300 per week for the 'Snowhuts' and that will be in low season I'm not surprised. There is a lot of timber deterioration evident especially on the waiting room with barge boarding and windows looking very poor indeed.

Edit: You need to turn your head sideways to see the 1st three photos AGAIN!!!! Don't know why its doing this.

Edited by 67A
  • Like 3

I was up at Dent yesterday returning Dent station signalman Jack Sedgwick's records to his daughter, they were slightly out of my time period but I did get some interesting snippets to work with. The weather was very poor with a thick mist overhanging the station so it was not worth any photos, I did do some orienteering over the moor to reach the spillway I'm currently working on. I have seen several photos of it but it was difficult to judge the dimensions of the trough but now I know its around 3ft wide my guesswork is pretty spot-on. Walking across the moor was akin to walking on a massive sponge with each step you sunk down about 6 inches and idiot me was wearing suede shoes.

attachicon.gif20180602_145747.jpg

attachicon.gif20180602_145738.jpg

attachicon.gif20180602_145730.jpg

and one of Monkey Beck for luck.

attachicon.gif20180602_143223.jpg

The station building is indeed up for sale with two agents, mind you at prices FROM £700.00 per week for the station and £300 per week for the 'Snowhuts' and that will be in low season I'm not surprised. There is a lot of timber deterioration evident especially on the waiting room with barge boarding and windows looking very poor indeed.

Edit: You need to turn your head sideways to see the 1st three photos AGAIN!!!! Don't know why its doing this.

Indeed, but Zoopla is seriously underselling it, as a 'barn conversion'.

Remember Mike there are layouts of Dent and then there are layouts of Dent. :good: :good:

And after seeing this one, the one that was at the Thornbury show was a disappointment.

It was great to meet Mike today for the first time.

Remember Mike there are layouts of Dent and then there are layouts of Dent. :good:

It took a bit longer than it should have thanks to our mutual mate 'AndrewP' for not introducing us at the Derby show eh! We went from the Bakewell show up the hill to see the old Bakewell station buildings which seem to house a company office now. I was tempted many years ago to do a model of Bakewell but it never happened, nice station all the same.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Cracking layout and great thread. I've enjoyed skimming through several hundred, well a few dozen, of the pages.

Going back a way, I saw your posts where you made resin casts for bridge or viaduct arches. I'm building quite a lot of viaducts and bridges on my layout and would like to make bespoke arches instead of relying on commercial available kit that isn't always the right fit. I was wondering if you'd mind elaborating a bit on the method you used and what I would need to buy to make such bespoke moulds.

Many thanks, and keep up the good work.

Cheers ... Alan

PS- I'm modelling in HO so my sheep droppings will be a tad smaller than yours to model. Lol ..

Hi,

Cracking layout and great thread. I've enjoyed skimming through several hundred, well a few dozen, of the pages.

Going back a way, I saw your posts where you made resin casts for bridge or viaduct arches. I'm building quite a lot of viaducts and bridges on my layout and would like to make bespoke arches instead of relying on commercial available kit that isn't always the right fit. I was wondering if you'd mind elaborating a bit on the method you used and what I would need to buy to make such bespoke moulds.

Many thanks, and keep up the good work.

Cheers ... Alan

PS- I'm modelling in HO so my sheep droppings will be a tad smaller than yours to model. Lol ..

Hi Alan,

Thanks for taking a look and glad you enjoyed it so far. To look at the moulds refer back to post 153 and onward.

Regarding the moulding work I was on a learning curve so I mainly 'googled' it. I sourced my mould supplies from Canonbury Arts in London:

Silicone moulding rubber and hardener is required to make the 'master' mould using a template you need to fabricate. You then need a resin and hardener to make the components, the mould has a short life if there is very fine detail involved so after say a dozen or so items the quality degrades and you may need to make another master, I never had this problem myself.

I made a lot of retaining walls with a silicone mould but used modelling plaster to cast them for my previous layout as its much cheaper than resin but beware its very brittle.

Sorry I can't elaborate much on this.

• RMweb Gold

Mike and fellow Dent officionados,

I have a quick question regarding Dent station buildings of the kit/ready to plant variety.

I have one if the original Metcalfe S&C station kits, one of the latest laser cut variety and the Hornby ready to plant resin version of the station buildings. Each one looks quite different, and unfortunately I dont have Mike's talent or time to build my own version.

I would like to ask which of these you consider the most accurate representation of the small S&C station buildings?

Many Thanks

Steve

Mike and fellow Dent officionados,

I have a quick question regarding Dent station buildings of the kit/ready to plant variety.

I have one if the original Metcalfe S&C station kits, one of the latest laser cut variety and the Hornby ready to plant resin version of the station buildings. Each one looks quite different, and unfortunately I dont have Mike's talent or time to build my own version.

I would like to ask which of these you consider the most accurate representation of the small S&C station buildings?

Many Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I am not familiar with the early or latest Metcalfe kit however the Hornby resin job looks pretty close not withstanding the totally incorrect stonework pattern which looks more like vertical crazy paving. If the Metcalf kit has more realistic stonework detail I would opt for that but the choice is yours, best wishes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remembered to find Dent when the computer was on and in RMweb … some great pictures and work … but like KL2 (or its 'replacement) nothing for a while.

Hope all is well, Peter

Hi Peter,

Nice to hear from you, your quite right - your'e observation that is. I have been AWOL for too long Peter, time to get back into gear and following a visit to the Wigan show earlier today its about time I started contributing again. I have been doing some modelling over the summer but not so much layout based more on stock detailing and building some wagon kits etc. I don't know if I'll be in the den later tonight but I will definitely be there tomorrow so will make a concerted effort to post some pic's for your (and other RMWebers) delectation.

I'm not sure how much I have posted on the alterations to the fiddleyard so will track back a few pages to see if there is anything to report on that.

All the best

Mike

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just to let you know I have been tied up over the last few weekends so been unable to get into the promised updates but rest assured there will be something this or next weekend.

• Like 3