Hi all,

Just a quick note to say I have uploaded a couple of videos of the layout to YouTube, the first is a basic introduction followed by a run through an actual summer Working Time Table (WTT) from the 1960's starting at 06.00 through to 06.59. I am planning and hoping to produce a one hour WTT segment each week but please be patient as its all new to me and I'm no Cecil B DeMille.

Each train is formed to represent an actual working and a loco is chosen to match the WTT requirements as close as possible, some of the information is based on actual records taken and if for instance an actual Black 5 say 44688 is noted then I will substitute an equivalent from my loco stock and hopefully I will have enough to complete the full sequence from 06.00 through to 22.00 The return workings are based on reasonable calculations for loco turnaround in real time and in an attempt to balance the roster.

You can find the current two videos on YouTube under:

Dent Station - Introduction

Dent Station - Episode 2

I will be compiling Episode 3 for next weekend all being well. Please let me know what you think.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Mike,

Took a look his morning, looked good to me. Keep 'em coming.

Steve

Cheers Steve, I have been compiling part 3 today, it's much more difficult than I anticipated but quite enjoyable as I actually run some trains which I tend not to do when I'm on my own.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Great idea to recreate the working timetable, fascinated that there were so few up trains in the 0600-0659 window.  As I am also in the process of building my own S&C themed layout, at a snails pace, your video series will be invaluable in helping me recreate some of the services.

Thank you!

Lookin gforward to the next installment. 

Steve

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike - great to see the videos, especially when viewed on the TV.

If I might make one (personal) observation/ I found the multiple virepoints, detracted a little from the

flow of the video. Not because there were multiple viewpoints, but because the train kept appearing to

go back, where the clips effectively overlapped. If it were possible to edit, or eliminate the overlap, I

think each trains passage would flow better.

Of course others may feel differently, but it did strike me that way.

Mind you I'm still eagerly anticipating the next edition. And then perhaps we'll be into "rush hour"!

All the best

TONY

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Mike,

Great idea to recreate the working timetable, fascinated that there were so few up trains in the 0600-0659 window.  As I am also in the process of building my own S&C themed layout, at a snails pace, your video series will be invaluable in helping me recreate some of the services.

Thank you!

Lookin gforward to the next installment. 

Steve

Hi Steve,

In  the following hour it seems the opposite are they are all 'UP' trains - very strange indeed. Have you featured your layout in layout topics?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Hi Mike - great to see the videos, especially when viewed on the TV.

If I might make one (personal) observation/ I found the multiple virepoints, detracted a little from the

flow of the video. Not because there were multiple viewpoints, but because the train kept appearing to

t

think each trains passage would flow better.

Of course others may feel differently, but it did strike me that way.

Mind you I'm still eagerly anticipating the next edition. And then perhaps we'll be into "rush hour"!

All the best

TONY

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the observation. I did think about this but just a couple of shots of a train means I have to keep setting up different trains just for a 5 or 10 second clip which sort of defeats the object as it was meant to to give me some operating potential where I can actually run some trains, in fact the train just runs the full circuit perhaps 5 or 6 times and is filmed at various points to allow the viewer a different view. I'll try to polish it a bit in episode 4 as episode 3 is well underway. Thanks again, feedback is appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mike,

I'll try to remember to have a look on Youtube when I am home- I'm about to be laid off for the summer, so it's back to being at home full time.  

I don't have a schedule set for Long Marton- I have the major named trains, but the operation is based on random order, not a schedule.   I ran trains on Friday, but it really does need me running them on a regular basis rather than the very occasional way that I tend towards.  So, it is entirely possible to get them out of sequence.  The way the computer chooses is basically 1 dmu/1 goods/1 passenger, and the train in the up direction recycles to the staging yard about 1/2 of the time.  

My Signal Box Lad had a 4-1 (Condor) , 4 (I know Alberta is the loco-and I don't think its 1S68) , 3-1-3 (the modern 153 in S&C vinyl) to deal with...all up.  Down should work, but it hasn't had as much running as up, and the track near Appleby is giving issues... (AKA the staging yard out line needs cleaning !)

The most noticable is wheel and track cleaning- if the layout is run regularly, then cleaning becomes less of a problem.  Given how the computer controls the trains, that makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of running.

(I'd been hoping to get to run another batch on Saturday night when I got home, but then I had to deal with a 14 year old, who now owes ME a book report...never mind what school wants, dad has his own ways of filling time if research in devilment is what you do !)

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 67A said:

Hi Steve,

In  the following hour it seems the opposite are they are all 'UP' trains - very strange indeed. Have you featured your layout in layout topics?

Mike,

I did starts thread a few years back, but progress has been painfully slow.  I have 32'x9' and aim to recreate both Dent and Garsdale on a circuit with extensive storage underneath the scenic boards.  The storage roads are built and I am currently doing the wiring, of which there is a lot!

I will start posting again once I have some meaningful progress to report.

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Mike,

I did starts thread a few years back, but progress has been painfully slow.  I have 32'x9' and aim to recreate both Dent and Garsdale on a circuit with extensive storage underneath the scenic boards.  The storage roads are built and I am currently doing the wiring, of which there is a lot!

I will start posting again once I have some meaningful progress to report.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'll look forward to seeing your interpretation, as you are probably aware my storage roads started underneath but proved problematic so I wish you good luck. If there is any information you need which I may be able to help with just ask!

Best wishes.

16 hours ago, peach james said:

Mike,

I'll try to remember to have a look on Youtube when I am home- I'm about to be laid off for the summer, so it's back to being at home full time.  

I don't have a schedule set for Long Marton- I have the major named trains, but the operation is based on random order, not a schedule.   I ran trains on Friday, but it really does need me running them on a regular basis rather than the very occasional way that I tend towards.  So, it is entirely possible to get them out of sequence.  The way the computer chooses is basically 1 dmu/1 goods/1 passenger, and the train in the up direction recycles to the staging yard about 1/2 of the time.  

My Signal Box Lad had a 4-1 (Condor) , 4 (I know Alberta is the loco-and I don't think its 1S68) , 3-1-3 (the modern 153 in S&C vinyl) to deal with...all up.  Down should work, but it hasn't had as much running as up, and the track near Appleby is giving issues... (AKA the staging yard out line needs cleaning !)

The most noticable is wheel and track cleaning- if the layout is run regularly, then cleaning becomes less of a problem.  Given how the computer controls the trains, that makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of running.

(I'd been hoping to get to run another batch on Saturday night when I got home, but then I had to deal with a 14 year old, who now owes ME a book report...never mind what school wants, dad has his own ways of filling time if research in devilment is what you do !)

James

Hi James,

I know the problems well, this hobby is more akin to a full time job than anything like a relaxing hobby. I had an electrical fault which I was tracing for a while only to find the D-Sub connector was not connected! DOH!!!

P.S. The 1S68 headcode is for the northbound Thames-Clyde Express.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 67A said:

Hi Steve,

I'll look forward to seeing your interpretation, as you are probably aware my storage roads started underneath but proved problematic so I wish you good luck. If there is any information you need which I may be able to help with just ask!

Best wishes.

Thanks Mike that's very kind of you.  

I followed your helix challenges very closely. My storage entry/exit roads run behind the scenic sections and have at least 35' for the gradient which I have roughly calculated at 1:90.  The gradients are mostly straight, so avoiding some of the resistance issues associated with curved gradients. 

I have tested some engines with a 9 coach train and most seem to cope okay. There are poorer performers, most notably my Bachmann Jubilees.  Their lack of tractive effort is well documented so they will have to put on some weight before being pressed into service!

Thanks again for your offer, I may well be in touch. 

Steve

• Like 1

So, I was wrong- Alberta is on 1S68 (Thames-Clyde).  I shortened the formation by one SK, so it is BSK-4xSK, SO, RU, FK, CK, BSK, all in Blood and Custard.  

(It's train #1 of my passenger trains- I have 5 UK long distance passenger trains)

I also had to fix Alberta- apparently the oil all ran out... (oh, wait, that's a Canadian joke...).  The glue holding the rear cylinder mounting on one side had failed, so I had motion bits hanging around and wacking things that they weren't supposed to !  Now superglued back on, without the motion getting any in it.

I have a similar problem to Mike, in that the Jub is a bit light on it's feet.  It has a piece of sheet lead in the cab floor, which helps, but could do with more weight.  I find it struggles something fierce on the curves, rather than the inadvertent grades.  It manages the about 1:100 that exists through Long Marton fine, but starting from the storage tracks is problematic, and then the hump on the way back to the staging can produce problems, but usually there is enough momentum to make it.

Speed is a key part with XP engines- they have more power than weight.  Certainly I am used to it in the bigger engine (my Britannia in 3.5"), where it will merrily slip and slip and slip all day long even up to about 8 MPH.  You have to _drive_ it to get the best performance !

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great videos Mike.

Thanks for doing them and I look forward to future ones.

I like so many others I’m sure loved the recent article. A beautifully modelled layout. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/05/2020 at 11:11, Dragonboy said:

Great videos Mike.

Thanks for doing them and I look forward to future ones.

I like so many others I’m sure loved the recent article. A beautifully modelled layout. 

Many thanks for your kind comments, glad you enjoyed the article. I have been filming trains for this weekend and setting up others for the following week. I may get better at this filming malarkey with time but it does take up much more time than I initially anticipated - but fun none the less. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Just watched episode 3 over my morning coffee - very relaxing, just watching all those up trains trundle past. 

Nice job, looking forward to episode 4 (no pressure)!

Steve

• Thanks 1

I don't know if any of you guys have had the chance to look at my initial efforts on YouTube. If you search Dent Station there are 4 episodes to date with the first being entitled 'Dent Station Introduction' and the other just start 'Episode'. The next filming session will cover 09.00 - 10.00 with a nice selection of freight workings.

I was hoping to show the completed breakdown train by now but have not finished the transfers as yet, I have emailed Steve at Railtec Transfers to supply some specials but still awaiting a reply so you shall have to be patient.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,trains

Just to let you know 2 more YouTube episodes have been uploaded today and feature WTT trains between 09.00 and 10.00. They are entitled Episode 7 and Episode 8. Hope you enjoy them.

Had an electrical gremlin attack yesterday and had some rewiring issues on the control panel but all is well now.

Still no sign of my transfers from Railtec so can't show the finished breakdown train as yet, I suppose they are inundated with most people having a lot of spare time presently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Yep me to Mike enjoying the videos.

Sorry if I forget to like um I’m often modelling and let them roll.

You ought to insert them here?

Cheers 

Ade

I would do Ade but embarrassingly I don't know how to. DOH