Go for it Reorte! I have spent many a miserable cold, wet and dismal night sitting on a train seemingly to nowhere at Appleby back in the 70's, all Peak hauled and luckily the steam heat in working order! Would make an interesting model for you. Oops I mean someone. Hahaha :jester:  :jester:

• Like 2

Tonight I built the Dapol 16T mineral which will be placed next to the signalbox coal store with the drop down side door 'OPEN' !!! It will look much more realistic than the current closed option. Its now in the 'paint shop'.

Over the past week I have been painting up train crew and fitting them to various loco's as they stand in the fiddleyard. Has anyone tried to get the body off a Bachmann Std 2-6-4 Tank - absolute nightmare!  Additionally I have also applied more headlamps showing the correct headcodes for the trains being hauled.

These are all fiddly time consuming pain in the bum jobs but they make a big difference in bringing the layout to life.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Go for it Reorte! I have spent many a miserable cold, wet and dismal night sitting on a train seemingly to nowhere at Appleby back in the 70's, all Peak hauled and luckily the steam heat in working order! Would make an interesting model for you. Oops I mean someone. Hahaha :jester:  :jester:

Well since I've already started Kirkby Stephen... I was just thinking about it  to add to the collection of Settle - Carlisle stations since other people are modelling the same place as I am. I did think about Appleby, what with its potential for greater operational interest what with the junction but that would've involved a lot more compression thatn I wanted to do. With Kirkby Stephen I can at least (probably) assemble it all in the house just to see, even if that means going through the door from the kitchen to the living room. Still, it'll be many years before I get as far as the next baseboard.

I have a mothballed Garsdale which is due to have the cobwebs blown off it in a year or so's time... ;)

Looks like we are gathering pace with the S&C in model form!

When I decided to build a new layout I already had the S&C firmly in mind but was torn between several candidates, however in the back of my mind I had always said I would build 'Dent' someday so 'Dent' it was to be. Settle was a little too wide, Garsdale and Appleby having junctions were unsuitable, Kirkby Stephen and Blea Moor were also candidates but were already on the exhibition circuit, I also considered Crosby Garrett, Long Marton and Lazonby. I am however very happy with my choice and I feel I still have plenty of detailing to keep me busy for years to come.

• Like 6

A good few years ago when I was member of Dewsbury MRC we had a great N gauge model of Langwathby - I don't know if it's still in existence?

There can't be much of that line that hasn't been modelled, I'm now toying with the idea of Helwith Bridge

Edited to correct spelling

Edited by Gilloverland
  • Like 3

Evening Mike, Glad your still enjoying such a masterpiece and thanks for all the positive comments on Pencarne, I know it's ONLY Peco Track but its working for me.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A good few years ago when I was member of Dewsbury MRC we had a great N gauge model of Langwathby - I don't know if it's still in existence?

There can't be much of that line that hasn't been modelled, I'm now toying with the idea of Hel with Bridge

That would be a good one to see, Langwathby was my local station for a while.

Hello again Neil,

Just noticed you are attending Stafford, I will definitely be there and will say hello!

When you do, look for someone wearing a name badge saying 'Graham'!

Be great to say 'hi'. Do persevere if we all appear to be deep in concentration :help:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

At this weekends Cheltenham exhibition there is a lovely model of Dent, set in LMS days. I will remember to take my camera with me tomorrow at try and get some photos of it.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

When you do, look for someone wearing a name badge saying 'Graham'!

Be great to say 'hi'. Do persevere if we all appear to be deep in concentration :help:

Hi GRAHAM!!!!

That's a real OOOOPPPPSSS moment there then. I am useless at remembering names to be honest, apologies. I will look out for you at Stafford (and keep my head down)  :jester:

Hi Mike,

At this weekends Cheltenham exhibition there is a lovely model of Dent, set in LMS days. I will remember to take my camera with me tomorrow at try and get some photos of it.

Hi Clive,

Looking forward to it! Thanks.

• Like 1

Evening Mike,

I've got a Parkside 16T on order, as well as a bare chassis to try under the Airfix body. I wondered if you had any particular observations to make on the building?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

The Dapol (ex:Airfix) kit is very simple to build, however the floor seems to be slightly narrow and a gap exits when assembled. To correct it you would need to file all 4 corners 'square'. I chose the option of filling the gaps with coal - when I get to that point.

Just built a Parkside 22T Tube wagon, a bit more involved but straightforward. Will post photos of both later.

• Like 2

Thanks Mike,

I'm told by Jason, Shaun and others about how wrong the Dapol door hinges were, and the brake gear as well, so I thought perhaps the Parkside chassis would improve the latter. The former will need a craft knife and some experimentation with scrap plastic. Jason posed one, door open for unloading in his coal yard on 'Bacup' and I have to say it does look good! Several of mine will remain as static models on the coaling stage, a couple being unloaded inside the shed.

Dent is looking as good as ever, I truly wish I was fit enough to travel to see it 'in the flesh' as it were, but I shall have to make do with your excellent and regular supply of photographs.

By the way, I thought you might find it amusing to read that I got excited enough about diseasels this week, mounting my stepladder at the bottom of the garden so as to see over the fence and greenery to watch the RHTT pass, topped and tailed by two DRS 57s! Left the bl**dy camera in the study though!! I was amazed as I mentioned before elsewhere, that as they went back past our garden on the 'up' line, they accelerated fairly hard, but there didn't seem to be much 'clag' from the exhaust in line with the noise. Could this be because the locos were fully warmed up, having set out from Suffolk earlier? I'd read on other threads like 'Kernow Today' that they are renowned for their emissions, and wondered if you could enlighten me. Although I am very much a steam fan, I have a keen interest in engines of all sorts so I'd be interested in your comments,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike,

I'm told by Jason, Shaun and others about how wrong the Dapol door hinges were, and the brake gear as well, so I thought perhaps the Parkside chassis would improve the latter. The former will need a craft knife and some experimentation with scrap plastic. Jason posed one, door open for unloading in his coal yard on 'Bacup' and I have to say it does look good! Several of mine will remain as static models on the coaling stage, a couple being unloaded inside the shed.

Dent is looking as good as ever, I truly wish I was fit enough to travel to see it 'in the flesh' as it were, but I shall have to make do with your excellent and regular supply of photographs.

By the way, I thought you might find it amusing to read that I got excited enough about diseasels this week, mounting my stepladder at the bottom of the garden so as to see over the fence and greenery to watch the RHTT pass, topped and tailed by two DRS 57s! Left the bl**dy camera in the study though!! I was amazed as I mentioned before elsewhere, that as they went back past our garden on the 'up' line, they accelerated fairly hard, but there didn't seem to be much 'clag' from the exhaust in line with the noise. Could this be because the locos were fully warmed up, having set out from Suffolk earlier? I'd read on other threads like 'Kernow Today' that they are renowned for their emissions, and wondered if you could enlighten me. Although I am very much a steam fan, I have a keen interest in engines of all sorts so I'd be interested in your comments,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

I know about the Dapol wagon's shortcomings but its only for a cameo role on the layout, it will not be hauled in any train so will not stand out too much, if you look at the post showing 'Crinin' from the Warrington show you can see it looks pretty good. I have always accepted compromises providing the end result looks convincing.

As for the 57 I can only concur its due to engine temperature combined with ambient conditions, I have not seen for myself any great clagging from this class but there again I don't really bother with the modern scene - too boring!

Hi all,

A bit of a weekend update...

post-5296-0-99953400-1445788328_thumb.jpg

Busy moment for the station staff as two passenger trains call at Dent simultaneously. Heading south is Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 46440 on a local stopper.

post-5296-0-67862000-1445788337_thumb.jpg

A northbound fitted freight trundles along in the capable hands of Stanier 8F 2-8-0 48154.

post-5296-0-37123200-1445788343_thumb.jpg

Crossing in the southbound direction is a Carlisle-Stourton fitted freight with Clayton D8500 at the helm.

post-5296-0-37292600-1445788353_thumb.jpg

Later in the day another local stopper pauses at Dent hauled by Compound 4-4-0 41157 heading for Hellifield.

post-5296-0-33811300-1445788362_thumb.jpg

The northbound path is now cleared for the passage of the Down 'Waverley' London St.Pancras to Edinburgh Waverley, a Scot failed at Holbeck and a class 5 was substituted as far as Hellifield where A3 Pacific 60041 'Salmon Trout' lends assistance.

post-5296-0-01250900-1445788371_thumb.jpg

As the express disappears into Rise Hill tunnel an express fish train for London exits hauled by Jubilee 4-6-0 45600 'Bermuda'.

The Jubilee leans into the curve through the station.

A few detail photos to follow...

post-5296-0-84824000-1445789617_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

First of all - a correction!

post-5296-0-69899300-1445789781_thumb.jpg

I initially placed the contact telephone box on the other side of the signal but found on a photograph that is was on the other side together with a short telegraph pole, problem solved.

post-5296-0-24231800-1445789786_thumb.jpg

This is the current position of Dapol 16T wagon build, I now need to gloss varnish the transfer areas before applying them.

post-5296-0-06391400-1445789791_thumb.jpg

Same goes for the Parkside Tube wagon.

post-5296-0-83539600-1445789799_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-49814800-1445789804_thumb.jpg

This is the first batch of loco's which required 'real' coal in the tender, I intend to continue this during the week.

Thats it for now guys.

• Like 16

Lovely photos mike

Always a nice batch of varied locos to look at,that a3 looks a nice weathered detailed example.

The pic of the jubilee leaning into the curve looks great,didnt realise you had put a banking on the trackwork there and it looks very impressive.

Cheers

Ben

Hi again,

I have just been visiting DaveF's S&C Flickr site and one of the photos taken at Dent has at long last settled an outstanding signalling issue. There has been confusion as to whether the ground signal directly outside the box had a red or a yellow band, Dave's photo shows its definitely yellow, oh well I need to break out the paints again!

Cracking site to visit and DaveF has sent me several photos which have helped immensely, many thanks Dave.

• Like 1

Lovely photos mike

Always a nice batch of varied locos to look at,that a3 looks a nice weathered detailed example.

The pic of the jubilee leaning into the curve looks great,didnt realise you had put a banking on the trackwork there and it looks very impressive.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks mate. Its hard to tell at times but there is built-in 'superelevation' to the whole main line route through the scenic section, it was especially challenging at the crossover adjacent to the box as the curve reverses. The refuge sidings are flat of course.

The A3 has had a real going at and its one of my favourites, I can still see 60092 'Fairway' sitting at Corkerhill MPD after its arrival with the down TCE around 1965ish. Magic!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

. . . . . I can still see 60092 'Fairway' sitting at Corkerhill MPD after its arrival with the down TCE around 1965ish. Magic!

You obviously don't need to go to to Specsavers - other opticians are available - yet then Mike!