• RMweb Premium

Cheers Barry,

I never go to that length, I got put off years ago with a Kays Black 5, I still have nightmares about it. Hahaha. You have to watch the earlier versions as the chimney was wrong. R25XX range I believe.

you mean one of these?

post-7650-0-92347400-1447265730_thumb.jpg

built ny late lamented old man and this has run a lot of miles on Herculaneum Dock and now Chapel en le Frith ..still on its original Ks wheels but with a D13 motor.

Baz

• Like 3

you mean one of these?

attachicon.gifKs Black 5 45341.jpg

built ny late lamented old man and this has run a lot of miles on Herculaneum Dock and now Chapel en le Frith ..still on its original Ks wheels but with a D13 motor.

Baz

I just could not get my thing to run, it sat in a siding as a scrapper on a few layouts then I got rid - long live Hornby!!!! I even bought the first Hornby Black 5 with the incorrect single slidebar just so I could have one, when Hornby revised it but only introduced an LMS version with 4 stick on cabside number and lining panels I bought 3 and repainted the lot in BR, they stayed with me until tender drive was abandoned - thank god!

Edit:

Oops forgot to say yours looks the business!

Edited by mike61680

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

No good him waving his cup at you, putting pressure on you to post some photos, doesn't he know there is a serious loco problem going on?

I am not familiar with the Rebuilt Patriot chassis but it does sound like a mechanical problem. Is it possible to remove the motor and worm gear and check if the chassis is free running in both directions. With the motor disconnected from the chassis check to see if rotates in both directions.

I might be wrong but doesn't the same chassis fit the Scott, and Jubilees as well as the original Patriots?

Is it a Bachy or Hornby one?  

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Hi Mike

No good him waving his cup at you, putting pressure on you to post some photos, doesn't he know there is a serious loco problem going on?

I am not familiar with the Rebuilt Patriot chassis but it does sound like a mechanical problem. Is it possible to remove the motor and worm gear and check if the chassis is free running in both directions. With the motor disconnected from the chassis check to see if rotates in both directions.

I might be wrong but doesn't the same chassis fit the Scott, and Jubilees as well as the original Patriots?

Is it a Bachy or Hornby one?  

Hi Clive,

I had a look but when it seemed the combined pick-up and axle cover needed removal which would result in all the wheels being removed I thought 'sod-it'! The loco runs freely now! Wish I had tried that at the shop, silly me.

I don't know if the chassis is interchangeable but I'm not too bothered now I'm over my disappointment (pack of valium later) I may just get another 9F and renumber it to an S&C stalwart 92058 or 92125 - watch this space.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike

I have a KS Jubilee which will not run.... been busy rewheeling a Hornby Black 5 today from EM back to OO... easy ...er not. Markits wheels with the "thin" axles to match the Hornby ones and I only had Romford OO axles - so had to ream out all of the Hornby wheel bearings - it now seems to work but not a job for the feint hearted!

Baz

Mike

I have a KS Jubilee which will not run.... been busy rewheeling a Hornby Black 5 today from EM back to OO... easy ...er not. Markits wheels with the "thin" axles to match the Hornby ones and I only had Romford OO axles - so had to ream out all of the Hornby wheel bearings - it now seems to work but not a job for the feint hearted!

Baz

Hi Baz,

I have to admit my failings in this area of modelling the only full kit I have ever managed to get 'right' is the GEM 'Super D' G2 0-8-0 but even then I had to make my own connecting rods as the ones supplied by GEM had holes much too large for the Romford crank pins. I still have it and it runs very well - then good old Bachmann brought one out!

I was much more adept at 12" : Ft locos, give me a big hammer any day!

Edit: Typo

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 4

Mike, I too am modelling Dent Station, and have been compiling information/doing research for over 40 years, although my period is 1937-47.  You may have seen stage 1 of my project, "Dentdale", which was Railway of the Month in the November 2013 Railway Modeller??? I am now roughly two thirds of the way through Dent Station itself......the Workmen's Bothy, my final building needed, is 95% complete. If you are interested I would be happy to trade/share information.....I would be delighted to support a fellow S & C devotee. With best wishes, Ian Nuttall

Mike, I too am modelling Dent Station, and have been compiling information/doing research for over 40 years, although my period is 1937-47.  You may have seen stage 1 of my project, "Dentdale", which was Railway of the Month in the November 2013 Railway Modeller??? I am now roughly two thirds of the way through Dent Station itself......the Workmen's Bothy, my final building needed, is 95% complete. If you are interested I would be happy to trade/share information.....I would be delighted to support a fellow S & C devotee. With best wishes, Ian Nuttall

Hi Ian,

I replied to your PM, did you not receive it?

Mike, Delighted you received my reply......sadly I have not seen yours. However, that could be down to the fact that I only signed onto RMWeb 3 days ago, so feel an absolute novice. Please contact me via my e-mail.....inuttall99@gmail.com to establish contact; I am more than happy for the fruits of our combined efforts to be shared......and I suspect we may learn even more ourselves as a consequence. With Best wishes, Ian (Nuttall)  P.S. After 40 hours of input I completed Dent Station Bothy today....the 2100 separate slates took 12-15 hours of that, yet my patience and sanity are, apparently, still intact!!

• Like 1

Morning Mike,

Sorry to go back so many posts but I just saw the Black5 image posted by our Baz - just had to comment as I enjoyed many footplate rides on them whether on the 'Paddy' express from Carlisle, or parcels to Glasgow and even mundane coal empty duties to the Ayrshire pits, returning full to the mineral sidings all with dad at the regulator. He loved them to drive! It really is a beauty Baz, and apologies for drifting off your thread Mike.

Are you expecting to get some time in on the Stationmaster's house soon, been itching to see more since you showed us the lovely bespoke windows!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Mike,

Sorry to go back so many posts but I just saw the Black5 image posted by our Baz - just had to comment as I enjoyed many footplate rides on them whether on the 'Paddy' express from Carlisle, or parcels to Glasgow and even mundane coal empty duties to the Ayrshire pits, returning full to the mineral sidings all with dad at the regulator. He loved them to drive! It really is a beauty Baz, and apologies for drifting off your thread Mike.Hi Jock

Are you expecting to get some time in on the Stationmaster's house soon, been itching to see more since you showed us the lovely bespoke windows!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

You are never hi-jacking my thread if your talking trains (BR not Foreign! :nono: ) so feel free in the future. 

I wish I had a dad like that! (Makes me think of my deprived childhood booooo-Hoooooo, tears pouring down now) My dad could never understand the attraction and tried many a time to dissuade me from my railway interest especially when I was leaving school with the only job in mind - working on the railway! I was warned under threat of near death - it seemed - that I was under no circumstances to go for a position leading to being a train driver! Luckily, or not, he agreed and supported my apprenticeship application to BREL Springburn (St Rollox Works), the only job I applied for at the time, start date: August 12th 1968. Can you see the irony?

The station masters house has stalled due to my supply of white paint for the frames running out, hope to get some this weekend.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

If any of your can get hold of the latest copy of the "Westmoreland Gazette" there is a small piece on my building of the layout. I contacted them a couple of years ago asking if they could print a request for information on dent, which they did and I received some from it. I contacted them again this week to show what I had achieved to date and they contacted me to do a short story. Should get a copy in the post soon!

Edit to add:

Just checked on their website and here is a link to the piece:

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/14029896.Railway_enthusiast_spends_three_years_recreating_South_Cumbria_train_station___in_miniature/?ref=mr&lp=11

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Nice write up. It's good to see the local paper showing an interest in something that is a good document of a local landmark at a specific point in history.

The picture made me smile... it almost looks like after three years you're still pushing the wagons round by hand saying "chuff chuff"  :jester:

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 4

Thanks guys, it was a nice gesture from the Gazette when all I asked for was a printed thank you to the helpful contributors.

AND HOW DID YOU KNOW I STILL PUSHED THE TRAINS AROUND NEIL?  I gave them a caption something like 'Mike places a cameo piece, the signalman's coal supply, the adjacent timber structure protected the coal from the heavy snows common around Dent" perhaps they did not have enough space, and in honesty I told them I was not very photogenic but had my arm twisted! Hahaha.

• Like 2

Mike, Re your query as to what the best combination of signals should be at the entrance to your Widdale Tunnel......why not copy the arrangement on the Up line at the north entrance to Blea Moor Tunnel which, as you know, is the first tunnel south from Dent? There they have a home signal supplemented by a repeater signal which, being a distant, shows you the state of the distant signal at Blea Moor itself.....hence, if it gives you the go ahead, the driver can add speed or work harder through Blea Moor Tunnel itself....the only place going south from Ais Gill to Settle where you went uphill!!! Hope this helps, Ian (T'other Dent Station builder.....) P.S. Banner repeaters are available from Andrew Hartsorne at Model Signal Engineering (MSE)......I have one on my Dentdale scene which features the north portal of Blea Moor Tunnel, and I've managed to make mine work.....I'm sure you can rise to the challenge.

• Like 1

Mike, Re your query as to what the best combination of signals should be at the entrance to your Widdale Tunnel......why not copy the arrangement on the Up line at the north entrance to Blea Moor Tunnel which, as you know, is the first tunnel south from Dent? There they have a home signal supplemented by a repeater signal which, being a distant, shows you the state of the distant signal at Blea Moor itself.....hence, if it gives you the go ahead, the driver can add speed or work harder through Blea Moor Tunnel itself....the only place going south from Ais Gill to Settle where you went uphill!!! Hope this helps, Ian (T'other Dent Station builder.....) P.S. Banner repeaters are available from Andrew Hartsorne at Model Signal Engineering (MSE)......I have one on my Dentdale scene which features the north portal of Blea Moor Tunnel, and I've managed to make mine work.....I'm sure you can rise to the challenge.

Hi Ian,

That sounds a good idea! MSE will probably be at the Manchester show so will pick one up there. Reading between the lines (no pun intended) it looks like you have been trawling through some of the 128 pages as that comment was made ages ago.

Will you be putting Dentdale on the Forum?

• Like 1

Ian, welcome to our friendly section of RMWeb, where things tend to be very centrist !  (ha, I had to put it that way).  You will note the presence of Jeff's 2 "fun" forums here, in the shape of The Asylum and the Lounge.  Then we have the threads- mine, unfortunately, isn't here !  (but I do have a S&C station, in the form of Long Marton in OO).  The more facts there are put up, the easier it is for all of us to get it right, which is eventually, the goal.  (well, having fun is the ultimate goal, but getting it right means more chance of having fun !)

James

Hi all,

Weekend update...

Went to S&J Models yesterday and they had one more 45531 (third one) and it too had the same fault so I settled for 45512 'BUNSEN' which I tested before I left! They were very good about the whole thing and gave me a decent deal on a new Peak!

Here are the two new loco's to the roster

post-5296-0-85211700-1447611149_thumb.jpg

Patriot 'Bunsen' and Peak D55 'Royal Signals' in out of the box condition.

post-5296-0-39540900-1447611167_thumb.jpg

The Peak had 1M86 (Thames-Clyde Express) both ends but I have changed one end to 1M88 (Waverley)

post-5296-0-63707000-1447611183_thumb.jpg

Bunsen has a factory weathering but I will be giving it my usual attention!

• Like 6

The jobs I have been working on this weekend have been...

post-5296-0-81898900-1447611815_thumb.jpg

I got some off white paint to colour the etched windows for the Station Masters house

post-5296-0-24038300-1447611889_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-25414300-1447611945_thumb.jpg

I have now put the two separate halves together and added the porch, the windows when assembled resulted in two different depths behind therefore a shim of acrylic was glued behind the upper panes to avoid a recess. Some sash have been deliberately 'opened' and the Perspex structure has been cut through behind.

The next job is a marathon weathering task

post-5296-0-26396200-1447611966_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-17326800-1447611987_thumb.jpg

This is the collection of loco's and stock built up recently but not fully released to the traffic dept. !

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I assume the windows are for ventilation rather than light as you can see straight through the walls  :jester:

Rather more seriously, those etches are really nice. Having had my first experience of etched components in the last week I'm now sold on them. Are they custom etches? If so who do you use for them as I can see a lot of scope in what I'm wanting to put together?

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1