Thanks for the pic's re:Horton. David.

It sort of makes sense in a way and if its the actual method used in the day, then this would look good to onlookers, I would have to have an 'explanation' notice posted in order to avoid being driven maaaaaad being quizzed - what, why, when and how etc.!

Re: the flood. Thanks for the thoughts, however it gave me a good excuse to make some changes for the better.

I have often thought of modelling the S&C but always chosen some figment of imagination, probably to squeeze in a bit of everything. These thoughts sub-consciously have drawn me to purchase quite a collection of reference material which has helped a great deal, but you always need more - don't you?

Cheers

Mike

Hi all,

Birch ply arriving tomorrow for the baseboards together with a sheet of 3mm MDF for construction of the building structures. Will post progress on both as they happen. Hopefully the blockwork will be completed at the weekend if the weather holds, I can then get the roof on and make the building watertight.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Thanks mate, will look forward to this info. Its puzzling me at the moment looking at the track plan, perhaps everything went north to maybe Appleby or Carlisle then attached to a southbound working later?

How's life down south?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, things are great down here.

I haven't forgotten but I spent a while looking for my 1960 Midland appendix and when I opened it (after a long search) I remembered that by 1960 the S&C had transferred to NE control so it wasn't in it ! as Homer would say "DOH!" I will now dig out the 1937 appendix (I know where that is) and the supplements, I think I know where they are.

Hi Mike, things are great down here.

I haven't forgotten but I spent a while looking for my 1960 Midland appendix and when I opened it (after a long search) I remembered that by 1960 the S&C had transferred to NE control so it wasn't in it ! as Homer would say "DOH!" I will now dig out the 1937 appendix (I know where that is) and the supplements, I think I know where they are.

Hi Dave,

Should have thought of that myself as Holbeck changed to 55A! DOH is right, I'll await your findings.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the box' shot, all the little details will help a great deal as the project moves on. Keep em coming guy's.

I have sourced several books, video's and DVD's in the past few weeks and I am compiling a fairly comprehensive record of Dent in readiness to get stuck in.

I also seem to have made a few inroads with Templot, its not easy and its really tested my grey matter to the limits at times but I have produced something which resembles Dent which is a good start. I need to work on it to get the detail right. Need to find out how to produce a 'screenshot' so I can post it on rmweb.

Carrying on tomorrow with the rebuild, hope to reach roof level !

Started on the fiddleyard baseboards today, will post a couple of pic's over the weekend

Thanks to all for the encouraging support and assistance to date.

cheers

mike

• RMweb Gold

Some point to point timings for freight in 1960, this gives an idea as to how long freight trains actually took to move from place to place - add the time required to unhook and shunt and the couple up again and you can see why leaving wagons on the main would not be common.

post-6662-0-33355600-1354376242_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-61285300-1354376248_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Many thanks re: the timings, they remind me a bit of logarithms, but I do take your point. I'm still wondering how the pick-up goods would operate? From my own point of view it would give a bit of operational interest to such a small layout but I can hear the cry's now of the purists!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

mike

Edited by mike61680

Hi all,

As promised I have taken a few pictures. I know some members like to see 'behind the scenes' views and these are about as behind as you can get....

This was the interior of my den with Bermuda Road MPD set-up until the flood caused too much damage, this resuted in the ongoing rebuild.

A few weeks ago...

This weekend following a great deal of help from a couple of very good mates, cheers Allan & Phil !!!

In the meantime I have made a start on the baseboards. Hopefully I may get a couple together during the week, Hang on! --- reality check! --- Is'nt the roof more important. Modelling eh? Its supposed to be fun. :stinker:

post-5296-0-96139900-1354479487.jpg

post-5296-0-75057500-1354479547_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-99187000-1354479581_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-10867300-1354479648_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-51229800-1354479685_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-50933300-1354479719_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-49574400-1354479794_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-89971500-1354479836_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Many thanks re: the timings, they remind me a bit of logarithms, but I do take your point. I'm still wondering how the pick-up goods would operate? From my own point of view it would give a bit of operational interest to such a small layout but I can hear the cry's now of the purists!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

mike

I've still got the appendix, and supplements, to dig through, if there's nothing then however you like is the answer (within reason)

Some views around the station and signal box, all taken 21/3/1981 in exceedingly bad weather!

post-6748-0-85207200-1354481520.jpg

post-6748-0-83041800-1354481541.jpg

post-6748-0-00073700-1354481555.jpg

post-6748-0-10238600-1354481563.jpg

post-6748-0-05795900-1354481571.jpg

post-6748-0-20046100-1354481583.jpg

post-6748-0-04950200-1354481593.jpg

post-6748-0-48665400-1354481601.jpg

post-6748-0-01117500-1354481611.jpg

post-6748-0-10500600-1354481619.jpg

When the film ran out!

Regarding the local goods train calling at the station. Looking at the track layout, I would guess that wagons to be detached would be worked to Garsdale (if coming from the south) and sent on to Dent on the up by a local goods. Wagons to be picked up would be collected by the up local goods and sent on to (say) Hellifield for onward transit.

Down trains could detach wagons via the crossing that remained until the box closed and then be moved by gravity or using a pinchbar into the loading bay.

As I say just my guess.

• Like 10

Hi Keith,

Terrific shots, I'll be studying them well over the coming months especially the close-ups. I have a good collection of books but the photographs tend to feature the passing train rather than the place (I'm totally guilty of that myself) so these will help with the fine detail.

I went to Dent 3 weeks ago, weather forecast said 'cold but sunny' by the time I got to Lancaster I had the wipers on fast speed! Came off at Kendal into fog all the way to Dent village, not a happy bunny by then. Got to the top of the hill and - bright sunshine - result!

I had thought of some movement either up or down the line with the pick-up goods but was hoping for a little more station action - modellers licence maybe.

Cheers again.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I've only just noticed that your Dent project is up and running, Mike. This already looks to be a thread to follow - I'm sure I'll pick up some ideas for Kirkby Luneside on here!

Great to see photos of the prototype and the more S&C the better!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes sort of underway with the baseboard construction having started but still nowhere to put them. The next few months will hopefully see most if not all the boards made and ready to go including the helix at each end, (not looking forward to that bit.)

Members including yourself have helped along the way with some great information and photo's so if you need anything specific let me know as I now have about 20 books on the S&C and a few video/dvd films.

How is Kirkby Luneside coming along?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, found you at last, and following advice from Jeff (Physicsman), I had to have a look and seen what it was all about. Saw the building work and had to have a sit down for a rest. I am looking forward to seeing the progress over the next few Months.

All the best with this. Andy.

• Like 1

The Friends of the Settle to Carlisle Railway little red books had a series of articles last year written by an ex signaller from Dent during the 50's they're well worth a read. Personally I always fancied a layout of Dent in N Gauge so i'll be following with interest.

Hi Andrew & Paul,

Thanks for your comments, will look into the 'little red books' thanks

I have been scaling up drawings of the station tonight, the overall dimensions are L:300 x W:115 x H:90 (plus chimneys)

This will be scratchbuilt once I arrange a new modelling bench in the loft and move all my bits and pieces up there this week.

I will be commissioning York Modelmaking to produce the windows, doors and bargeboards and their signalbox kit looks an ideal candidate for an Xmas present from er'indoors.

So hopefully by the weekend I will have something on the workbench and will post the results.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Before the track layout at Dent was "rationalised", there would have been no difficulty in dropping off/picking up wagons in either direction.

In the up direction, the train would have been left on the mainline while the loco cut the appropriate wagons out of the train. I suspect that livestock would have been the most common and those wagons had to be marshalled at the head of the train. So it would have been quite quick and easy.

In the down direction, the train could be set back into the layby. The wagons to be detached could then be brought forward in front of the signal box and the loco run round them by way of the down main before propelling them to the loading dock.

I'm not sure in which year the second set of pointwork into the layby was removed. Old-Maps.co.uk does not have many years available.

Hi Mike,

Just come across your thread and looking forward to seeing your progress.. I grew up in the Dales and when I got my first push bike (paid for by potato picking and beating :) ) set off to all points along the Wensleydale and off to the S&C shame I didn't have a camera. Many happy summertime rides to wait for trains to trundle past Ribblehead and spent couple of times at Dent with packed lunches and fizzy pop brought on the way.. I remember having to call parents to come to collect us as had spent too much time 'watching' trains and wouldn't make it home for tea in fact darkness for that matter!! Happy days.. Also DJ's layouts were an inspiration to me and still have the dog eared copy of RM with Garsdale Road that I still look at occasionally when the Mojo wains..

Hang in there with Templot it does get easier :)

Regards

Tom

Before the track layout at Dent was "rationalised", there would have been no difficulty in dropping off/picking up wagons in either direction.

In the up direction, the train would have been left on the mainline while the loco cut the appropriate wagons out of the train. I suspect that livestock would have been the most common and those wagons had to be marshalled at the head of the train. So it would have been quite quick and easy.

In the down direction, the train could be set back into the layby. The wagons to be detached could then be brought forward in front of the signal box and the loco run round them by way of the down main before propelling them to the loading dock.

I'm not sure in which year the second set of pointwork into the layby was removed. Old-Maps.co.uk does not have many years available.

Hi Joseph,

This was my hopeful answer to the problem, however Dave's timings don't allow much margin for such activity. However in order to maintain a little interest I think I will carry out this maneouver otherwise I may get bored and if I take the layout to exhibition the viewing public will have two comments

1. Don't you have any shunting to watch.

2. That wouldn't happen on a main line.

Either way I'll live with it.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Just come across your thread and looking forward to seeing your progress.. I grew up in the Dales and when I got my first push bike (paid for by potato picking and beating :) ) set off to all points along the Wensleydale and off to the S&C shame I didn't have a camera. Many happy summertime rides to wait for trains to trundle past Ribblehead and spent couple of times at Dent with packed lunches and fizzy pop brought on the way.. I remember having to call parents to come to collect us as had spent too much time 'watching' trains and wouldn't make it home for tea in fact darkness for that matter!! Happy days.. Also DJ's layouts were an inspiration to me and still have the dog eared copy of RM with Garsdale Road that I still look at occasionally when the Mojo wains..

Hang in there with Templot it does get easier :)

Regards

Tom

Hi Tom,

Oh yes the good old days! I was brought up in Glasgow so seeing passing trains was not really possible as everything stopped at a terminus. I did get adventurous at about 14 when I cycled to Edinburgh to see the Deltic's. I did not get home until about 11.30pm and following a sound thrashing!!! tried to explain myself. My father did not believe me at all until he read my notebook which had headings of - Edinburgh: Waverley - St.Margarets - Haymarket. He then believed me and gave me another thump for luck.

Many years later when I learned to drive I did the same journey and was astounded to find it was 55 miles each way from my house! dedication to duty or what.

Cheers

Mike.

• Like 1