Thanks Keith,

Its so disheartening to see the wanten destruction of something that took so much effort to build, and I don't just mean the vandalism, the authorities are as bad - no worse. Anyway another couple of shots with some close-up detail, fantastic.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi all,

I must have been very bad in a previous life. Been quiet due to my desktop going in for major repair and returned BLANK apart from reinstallation of windows, worse thing is I lost all my Templot efforts so will have to start all over again.

Not a lot to report on the Dent project other than the brickwork and roof bearing timbers are now complete and ready to accept the roofing. Should be under cover and weatherproof before Xmas.

Hope to start a bit of simple modelling over the holiday getting a few things made in advance of the layout build, enthusiasm is still on a high!!!

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Yes sort of underway with the baseboard construction having started but still nowhere to put them. The next few months will hopefully see most if not all the boards made and ready to go including the helix at each end, (not looking forward to that bit.)

Members including yourself have helped along the way with some great information and photo's so if you need anything specific let me know as I now have about 20 books on the S&C and a few video/dvd films.

How is Kirkby Luneside coming along?

Cheers

Mike

Sorry for the delay in replying Mike, it seems like very bad manners!

I'm delighted to see your commitment to the Dent project. Sorry you've lost all your hard work with the bl**dy PC problem. Just think that the next time round it'll be even better than the first. You've no shortage of Dent photos - I've got tons of stuff on Kirkby Stephen, the underlying prototype for Kirkby Luneside. I don't know how close you are going to model the prototype - I'm going close, but not slavishly so (hence the maverick inclusion of my branchline a la Garsdale!).

Best of luck with the new Templots!

Jeff

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Mike, I know it might be a case of after the horses bolted but there are now some really good online storage site, like Dropbox, that you can keep all your files backed up. I know as I had a similar incident about 2 years ago. Might be worth a look.

In the meantime hope you can get back into the swing of things and look forward to Dent reappearing over the Pennines :)

Regards

Tom

Hi Jeff & Tom,

Thanks guys, keeping a stiff upper lip.

The Rebuild:

Managed to get the roof watertight over the weekend and should get the windows in this week which will keep things dryer, still a fair bit of building work to do but have made a start with several modelling projects.

The Modelling:

The skeleton baseboards are underway.

Drawings are scaled for the station building and I will be starting the shell this week and progressing it over the holidays, I will be ordering the windows from York Modelmaking in the new year.

I am also making a series of moulds to cast the many yards of 'dry stone walling' and 'snow fences' which are a prominent feature of the area, doing that lot one by one is not an option and doing the odd mix or two regularly over time will save a lengthy task in the future.

Templot is giving me a headache so will leave it for a while.

Jeff, you asked how close I would be modelling the prototype; answer: As close as I can. I am really enjoying the research at the moment and had I still all my modelling facilities to hand doubtless a lot more progress would have been made.

post-5296-0-12339100-1355779423_thumb.jpg

Above is a photo of the station building on my old layout 'MILNE' this was scratchbuilt about 10 years ago and is similar to Dent in some respects, it was based on 'NEWTONMORE' in Scotland. Layout appeared in Model Rail 121 a few years ago.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Yes, very nice looking station. I'll dig out MR 121 and have a look.

Have to say, the station buildings are very S&C. What did you use for the platform tops? I've used Wills sheets on previous layouts, but I'm going to scribe the stonework from 50thou plastikard when I get round to the job on KL.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes those are Wills 'York Stone Paving' (SS MP 208) sheets. They were delicately filed and jointed carefully and any gaps filled with Isopon 'Stopper' (for car bodywork) then painted, weathered and rubbed with a cloth briskly to give the shown effect. I will be using the same method on Dent if I find a photo showing a paved surface. More research!

I thought of scribing plasticard but you don't get the 'strata' of the stone which is well reproduced on the above.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Hi all,

I hope you all had a great Christmas and St. Nicholas was very very good to you all...

I was quite busy leading up to big day getting the roof on the new 'den' which I needed done before the break, hence the lack of updates...

post-5296-0-40993300-1356642612_thumb.jpg

I also managed to get the windows in so all is now watertight, I'll give it few weeks to dry out inside before doing much more..

post-5296-0-90988800-1356642741_thumb.jpg

This will give me a little modelling time over the holiday, talking of which...

On the modelling front I have finished the first skeleton baseboard which will in time be the 'station' platform section. I have approximately 25ft in length and the arrangement will be 4 No. 5ft long x 3ft wide baseboards making a scenic run of 20ft with spirals at each end leading down to a fiddleyard under the scenic section. That's the theory at present!

post-5296-0-38178800-1356643175_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-10118800-1356643209_thumb.jpg

I have also started the main station building sub-structure which I am doing in 3mm MDF clad in 'dressed stone' probably from the Will's range of sheets as it looks the closest match, but more of this tomorrow.

Cheers

mike

P.S. Has anyone got a floorplan of the S&C 'Small - No.3' station building as I would like to get the interior right, will post this request on the S&C link also. Many thanks.

• Like 7

Hi all,

Busy few days getting some modelling started well in advance of the layout build. I have started with the station buildings and cobbled together an MDF base structure to check for sizes and fit of various parts, it is actually shrunk in scale terms by the thickness of the Wills Coarse Stone cladding which may be applied directly to this structure if it proves true and stable enough when glued and strengthened with a floor etc. That was the reason for opening out for windows and doorways rather than simply drawing them on.

The pictures show the initial assembly and include a 12mm over length skirt around the base for housing into the platform rather than being placed on top. Please note the whole thing is held together with 'white-tak' at present until I am satisfied the parts all fit neatly together.

post-5296-0-14767700-1356719315_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-87262500-1356719391_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-34591000-1356719439_thumb.jpg

Above shows platform face and approach face views

post-5296-0-07466800-1356719511_thumb.jpg

Above shows L/H elevation

post-5296-0-54797000-1356719584_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-09642700-1356719681_thumb.jpg

Above shows R/H elevation which is the station entrance

The roof is now on also but I've been ordered to go and party, so needs must. More tomorrow.

Still desparate for a floor plan if anyone can help!!!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A few photos of Dent in June 1966, I hope they are some use.

Note 2 of them have been in another thread in the last few days, I am re posting them so they are all in one place

post-5613-0-40376300-1356722395_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-66414600-1356722399_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-88590000-1356722403_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-43672000-1356722409_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-09651100-1356722414_thumb.jpg

David

• Like 13

Hi Dave & Tom,

Well, what can I say; Santa came late this year but what a gift he brought!!! Those photo's are by far the clearest images I have of the buildings, a profound thanks Dave, they will be invaluable, watch this space.

I will be ordering the windows, doors etc from York Modelmaking as soon as New Year is over. Once arrived I can decide if the current shell is suitable or just to use it as a template for a plasticard version. I'm not too keen on an all plasticard building as I find over time some warping can occur therefore the use of a dissimilar material prevents this, you do have the problem then of various degrees of expansion/contraction to contend with, its just a bit of a juggling act with mother nature.

Tom,

It will be some time before the buildings are in place. I just needed to get started on some modelling whilst the 'den' rebuild plod's on.

I'm working on the 'Rise Hill' tunnel portal today, strangely the location of this will have moved about a mile south of its actual point on the line but it will give a nice scenic break at the north end of the layout leading into the spiral. The south end will be an even bigger challenge as I hope to include at least a representation of 'Arten Gill' viaduct but I don't have the space for 'Dent Head' viaduct. Time will tell.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Morning Mike. I'm impressed with the planning you've put into the station building and I'm very pleased to see the method you are using for its construction. I'll be doing the same, only using ply rather than mdf.

I'll be eager to see how the stone cladding goes on. You are inspiring me to do a very faithful job on KL: I guess I'll be using the Kirkby Stephen plans for that. If I can find 'em!!

Great work!

Jeff

I presume you were too late to purchase the excellent Hornby Skaledale S&C station buildings, or maybe you prefer to make your own buildings?  If you build a basic shell from 60thou plastikard then clad it with Wills stone plastic sheet, no distortion would set in. I built all my stone walling and Greenfield Goods Shed this way but added end-on strips of plastikard under the roof to prevent any potential for sagging.

I started to follow this thread but it somehow dropped off my radar until Jeff (Physicsman) prompted me this morning. Will you be adding super-elevation on that long curve through the station? I would feel at home at Dent as it reminds me so much of Greenfield in the West Riding!

Edited by coachmann

I have 12 pages (4-6 shots/page) of photos of Long Marton taken in 1996 (no track in the yard, but it was fairly complete).  Includes details of the station building & the goods shed, in particular.  It is brick rather than stone though.   (don't believe everything in Rails in the Fells...)

If you get someone to etch windows, please post prior to ordering- I'd be quite happy to order a set as well.  My attempts years ago at plastic were interesting, and involved LOTS of very small pieces of plastic.

James

Hi Jeff,

I thought about ply but York Modelmaking use MDF so if its good enough for the professionals....?

I have put aside the shell until the windows arrive and have been working on 'Rise Hill' portal today, will post some pic's later.

I'll check my books to see if I have any Large building plans in them, is there anything else you need?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Coachman,

I did look at the Hornby building but I think its more of a representation rather than a model of the actual building. I am going for accuracy so I've no option really.

I found problems on my last layout with a full plasticard structure and was told that it was due to the solvent remaining active for some time especially when trapped in what is a sealed box, my station building looked great until the roof started to twist, hence my change of design. Wills cladding will be used throughout the range of buildings.

I am a little worried about the signalbox as I am buying a 'York Modelmakers' kit which is all plasticard.

On the super-elevation question - oh yes! It would not look right without. I just hope I can get the down sidings to look right and not higher than the main line.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

I have 12 pages (4-6 shots/page) of photos of Long Marton taken in 1996 (no track in the yard, but it was fairly complete).  Includes details of the station building & the goods shed, in particular.  It is brick rather than stone though.   (don't believe everything in Rails in the Fells...)

If you get someone to etch windows, please post prior to ordering- I'd be quite happy to order a set as well.  My attempts years ago at plastic were interesting, and involved LOTS of very small pieces of plastic.

James

Hi James,

I will be ordering 'laser-cut' windows not etched, are they any use to you.

I will look at Long Marton in Anderson's book to see if there are similarities, I'm furtunate that Dent had no goods shed, one less building to make.

Cheers

Mike

Hi all,

As promised here a few more photo's of the station building basic shell construction, please see previous posts for details as it temporarily looks like a piece of junk and its held together with 'White-Tak' all is explained...

post-5296-0-48780500-1356814273_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-53856600-1356814298_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-63998200-1356814319_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-94117500-1356814343_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-51312300-1356814365_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-64500100-1356814386_thumb.jpg

I have also cobbled the Up platform waiting room together...can anyone spot the deliberate mistake ?

post-5296-0-49886400-1356814496_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-35843800-1356814514_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-27900300-1356814531_thumb.jpg

And for todays work....

Rise Hill tunnel portal is now well underway...

Again I have used 3mm MDF as a base with a wedge of softwood sandwiched to form the retaining wall protrusion. The main stonework is 'Wills Coarse Stone' sheets and the portal ring is built up from small pieces to create the fine detail of the prototype.

post-5296-0-31169500-1356814676.jpg

post-5296-0-72368700-1356814691.jpg

post-5296-0-57980100-1356814708.jpg

post-5296-0-98276600-1356814722.jpg

post-5296-0-69150000-1356814736.jpg

post-5296-0-78388600-1356814751.jpg

post-5296-0-01179300-1356814766.jpg

post-5296-0-51723100-1356814780.jpg

post-5296-0-40093900-1356814797.jpg

post-5296-0-47230100-1356814813.jpg

post-5296-0-23084700-1356815020.jpg

Leaving everything to harden until tomorrow.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 18

Neat work on that portal. Evostick would remain flexible to allow the wood and plastic to expand/contract. I used this glue when sticking Wills stone panels to the wooden facia of my layout. The wood does move about a bit and small gaps have appeared now and again between the panels.

Edited by coachmann

Hi Coachman,

I get more Evostick on my fingers than on the models so I used UHU for the large pieces and superglue for the tiny ring sections, the theory is that the superglue bonds the plastic to itself as these pieces are so small especially tomorrow when I cut the excess back, fingers crossed.

Cheers

mike

• RMweb Premium

I definitely wouldn't say it looks like "junk", Mike. Looks like a good rendition of the shell of Dent station to me!

How do you get into the waiting room - climb through a window (is that the deliberate mistake?)....

There's a lot of work going on there Mike. Excellent encouragement for us all. A bit of mutual cajoling and the work rate on some of the layouts is phenomenal!

Jeff

• Like 1