Barnstaple line upgrade

Kris

• RMweb Gold

Is everything that was planned now finished, or did the flooding etc cause some work to be deferred further?

Spent quite some time this week planning the deferred works to be caught up with in 2013 - 14. Watch this space...!

• 9 months later...

Slightly off at a tangent, having lived along this line for the past 21 years and now enjoying the luxury of early retirement I have to say that the staff in general are extremely helpful. Since jumping ship last September I no longer drive a car and use the line on a frequent basis.

It is a lifeline to villagers and commuters alike.

Since relaying track from Crediton to Salmon Pool one gets the bonus of smooth travel and the reassuring "clikety clack" beyond before disembarking at the next station. Perhaps I'm just old school but to have this facility and all that goes with it gives me immense pleasure ( and gets me to the model shop in Exeter much quicker, far better than driving , deep joy).

Having also travelled on many occasions to Truro using the system I must again congratulate the staff of First Great Western on their helpful attitude throughout each journey ( Dawlish and all that ) and also to those who maintain the track during the storms and continue to do so.

Archived