Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

This weekend sees what might be Blackgill's last outing on the exhibition circuit (if the only man sticks to his guns). We'll be at Railex NE 2018 on Saturday and Sunday at John Spence Community High School in North Shields. Come along and say hello.

Arp

Looking forward to seeing Blackgill again although, as I'm operating another layout this year don't know how much I'll get to see...

• Like 1

This weekend sees what might be Blackgill's last outing on the exhibition circuit (if the only man sticks to his guns). We'll be at Railex NE 2018 on Saturday and Sunday at John Spence Community High School in North Shields. Come along and say hello.

Arp

Very sorry I can't make it north to take a last look at Black Gill so give the layout (and your father) my regards...………

......….and maybe persuade him not to stick to his guns for too long!!

Mark

Blackgill is all set up and ready to go tomorrow. For those of you who ever wondered how it all went together, he's a little video letting daylight in on magic.

Arp

(Watch in full screen if you can!)

Edited by Arpster
  • Like 5

Well, that was the Railex NE that was! Blackgill was its usual temperamental self but generally allowed us to have fun and go out on a high. Thanks to everyone who came up to say hello and who's posted comments over the years. Blackgill will now return to its home in the loft and its ageing electrical components and operators can have a well-earned rest!

Here are some photos from the weekend. Nice to speak to those of you who said hello!

Arp

post-1044-0-39476100-1532894618_thumb.jpg

A G5 runs out of the tunnel from Beamish and into Blackgill station with the stopper from Newcastle. [badly-Photoshopped image!]

post-1044-0-09689600-1532894627_thumb.jpg

Q7 63473 passes through Blackgill with a load of steel from Consett works.

post-1044-0-55010600-1532894639_thumb.jpg

Blackgill signal box.

post-1044-0-12507900-1532895479_thumb.jpg

N10 69105 waits for its next duty in the colliery exchange sidings.

• Like 19

Al

Thanks for all the enjoyment Blackgill has given us, your father really is one of the best model makers this country has and Blackgill is an inspirational work of art. If you've been lucky enough to see the model at a show then you will have seen the subtlety and detail he puts into every aspect of his model making. This is where model making becomes an art form...

A/Box

• Like 1

Thanks for all the enjoyment Blackgill has given us, your father really is one of the best model makers this country has and Blackgill is an inspirational work of art. If you've been lucky enough to see the model at a show then you will have seen the subtlety and detail he puts into every aspect of his model making. This is where model making becomes an art form...

Likewise.

• Like 1

Another one where the level of detail is amazing, all the pulleys for operating the signals and posts for signal wires (couldn't tell if there were wires present) and operating semaphores.

The open windows etc on the engine shed too.

The last signal pull at Blackgill for the last green Tyne Docker.

You'll have to excuse the appearance of the North Britain Gurning champion towards the end of the clip.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 9

Just echoing what I put on the South Pelaw thread, travelled purely to see these layouts and were superb! Real North east flavour.

Thoroughly enjoyed the layout, everything from the operation and presentation. So much attention to detail.

Thanks for being shown around the back too.

post-27-0-02262200-1533153705_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

[badly-Photoshopped image!]

Really?  it looks perfect to me!

I regret I haven't managed to see this layout in action, but my excuse is that I am based in the far southwest.

Thanks very much for sharing it with us via RMweb, I've really appreciated reading about Blackgill.

All the best, Dave.T

Edited by DLT

Uncle Poursee...Why not Pixellate the weird head at the end of your video?

...   and deny people entertainment!

(Rather than indulging in this social mediary, should you not be sallying forth down the Champs-Élysées insulting the French on this fine summer morn?  Mon Chéri.)

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

...Currently rattling past the Alps at 300km/h on the tgv heading for the Riviera...Wish I had learned more French at school...Quel heure est-il doesn't help much...

Enjoy a fun playground game?

Quelle heure est-il m. loup.

Enjoy a fun playground game?

Quelle heure est-il m. loup.

Just stopped at Avignon, as in...sur le pont d'avignon...The whole carriage is now staring... Won't sing that again...

• Like 2

Wish I had learned more French at school...Quel heure est-il doesn't help much...

Surely you mean, "Quelle heure est-il?"

Apart from, Yurrrrr motherrrrrrr was a amsterrrr and your fatherrrrr smelt of elderberreeees!, Quelle heure est-il? was the only french phrase I could ever remember. It did get get me tapped up with a couple of french bords on Kingsgate Bridge once. They were stopping in this hoose.

https://goo.gl/maps/SpUbdZAQEA52

Oh what fun I had walking them round the riverbanks (past the Counts House) trying to communicate via hand gestures.  

PS I was twelve at the time.

P.p.s. You trying to look sophisticated and you know what you're doing by surfing the interwebby on a train?...   in yer shorts.

Pat will keep you right.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi Arpster,

Living in Australia (and also under a rock) I've only just stumbled across this layout.  Wow!  It may very well be my new favourite layout.  You've probably answered these questions a hundred times before, but may I ask how you've achived the colour and texture of the road surface, as well as what you've used and how you've achieved the colouring of the ballast?  I'm currently modelling the Yorkshire Moors line, but as it was before closure, and most of the current scenic stuff is quite cutting it for my liking.

Thanks very much!

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Axlebox said:

https://www.scalefour.org/scalefournorth/2020/

Blackgill's back on tour...with the Crocodile sisters as a support act.

Can't wait.

Crumble anyone?

A/box

*The Crocodile sisters are the legendary caterers at Scalefour North, and their Rhubarb Crumble is rather good.

One Two of the reasons for my appearance.

Three if the ersatz Mr Mane is there too!

Mike.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Three if the ersatz Mr Mane is there too

"Ersatz" be bu**ered! Is that a new type/flavour of crumble.

All being well I'll be there, so stand by to receive your customary welcome.

The Crock sisters gave a resolute bums thumbs up to South Pelaw in Wakey last Autumn; Blackgill looks forward to their inspection this coming spring.

Heeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrre's  Billy.

• Like 1