Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

The shed foreman at Blackgill was telling me there might be a 2nd K1 coming to the shed...

Blackgill from ground level, photo from Jess's phone.

image.png.8ef2d2f2d774a9ebd74e7c5e43ced78a.png

Also, count me in to any outings along the Ouseburn.

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Axlebox said:

The shed foreman at Blackgill was telling me there might be a 2nd K1 coming to the shed...

And from the comms we received over the weekend a B16 and the greedy boards fitted Dogfish.  (Wotz the plural for digfish?) Lets hope things sort themselves out enough so we can get it out in public for one last time.

17 minutes ago, johndon said:

We could do with something like 41 on the EM South Pelaw to shunt Stella Gill yard...

Modellers licence for that. Industrial's only ever passed through Stella yard. The Working Appendices makes interesting reading. Especially the telephone arrangement's for moving into & out of Pelton Fell Colly.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

The pubs are open. Many missed birthday parties to organise down the Ouseburn.

Is the Blue Bell still there, or is it a different part of the ‘burn you frequent?

I was too young (and naive) to partake when I moved away.
Paul.

56 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Is the Blue Bell still there, or is it a different part of the ‘burn you frequent?

I was too young (and naive) to partake when I moved away.
Paul.

Paul, thats a bit too upmarket for the lads from Blackgill...you'll find that lot at the mouth of the Ouseburn in the Cumberland, the Cluney, the Tyne or most probably the Free Trade Inn.

Another picture from Jess's phone, this time looking up the Colliery exchange sidings with a string of empties waiting to be taken up to the colliery, a brakevan awaiting the next full load and over in the shed yard, a Q6 being fed and watered...

1997359130_Blackgilltouchedupabitinthesky.png.ed845c38af72e4319e787d9239872c51.png

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I <think> I saw Blackgill at Spennymoor a few years ago? Certainly one of the NE shows. Was very impressed with it.

Looking forward to seeing it again - and that 3MT looks great. I must finish mine now for Scalby :)

Mark

2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Is the Blue Bell still there,

If it's the Blue Bell  (next to what was Hardisty Cycles) you're meaning? Only in body, not in soul. Smashing booza in its day and one that had the convenience of a convenience right outside the front door  (mind the steps).

5464161081_7f11437a05_b.jpgThe Blue Bell Hotel, Shields Road, Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne; 2/7/1972 by Geoff Allan, on Flickr

Apart from the filming weekend back in the eighties; the Free Trade never went in for the fashionable bollox of pub renaming.

Talking of Bollox

Newcastle Brown Ale.  Proudly brewed in...        Tadcaster!

The FTI yesterday...

XY-FTI-Edit.jpg.103fc154f65a4df5b01a4725b2741336.jpg

...   and Max. The Newcastle party dog at a pub were the beer is free, the band plays all day, and shouts, "HEY" a lot.

XY-CumberlanA.jpg.c5e013abc5cd5c9b23393ad90b6d83ce.jpg

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, Arpster said:

The Blue Bell is indeed still there, further up in Sandyford.

Crikey!  Once had a New Years Eve/Morn in there.  Looked more like this then.  Eeeeek!

4080133391_33a91cd729_b.jpg033948:Blue Bell Jesmond Vale Unknown c.1965 by Newcastle Libraries, on Flickr

Mr Axlebox almost organised a Model Railway exhibition in a boozah a couple of hundred yard to the North. 

Probably a good job it didn't come off.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It was the one in Jesmond Vale, but Porcy’s version not the upmarket one from Google!
Thanks to you both.

But the video wasn’t Mallorca unless the ex ScR Chief Operating Manager and one of the Track Engineers were on holiday at the same time . . .

:-)
Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Video comment
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...

This years Newcastle show (11th and 12th November) is likely to be the very last public outing for Blackgill. All of thanks to Eddie Ford for sharing your work with us and young Dr Ford for the wonderful photos here abouts. Final testing underway with a J25 ambling up the colliery exchange sidings…IMG_2480.jpeg.2fe909c5226299999b0fd1986bfcccd0.jpeg

IMG_2483.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1