Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

Many thanks to Blackanddeckerboy for the brilliant video - I'm suprised you managed to capture as much footage as that of trains running without derails or stopping dead due to operator ineptitude! ;)

And Porcy - that shot in the shed looks fantastic. We should have tried to get a similar one when it was full of locos. Yes, it should be a bit more filthy than it is though!

All the best,

Arp

• 3 weeks later...

Those of you who have bought Model Railway Journal No. 226 will have seen that it contains the second part of the article on Blackgill. Hopefully this will give those of you who are interested some more details on construction of the layout, electrics, buildings, signals and operation. There are also a few new photos in there! I'll have a look through the photos that were sent in to accompany the article and post any that weren't used there on RMWeb. I'm certainly very pleased with the article and I'm sure my dad will be too when he gets back from Florida to see it. Thanks very much to Pauls Willis and Karau for bringing this to press!

All the best,

Arp

• Like 1

Arpster, it would be great to see the photos as it takes a few extra months to get to this side of the earth... it will not stop me buying the MRJ.. I know it will be on a ship some where! I will enjoy it when it turns up.

Yes, I'm not sure how the copyright works, to be honest. I did take them all originally but I don't want to get in trouble with the legal police! But I have other ones I can post on here for sure (and will do so later today if I get time).

All the  best,

Arp

Yes, I'm not sure how the copyright works, to be honest. I did take them all originally but I don't want to get in trouble with the legal police! But I have other ones I can post on here for sure (and will do so later today if I get time).

All the  best,

Arp

As long as you have not signed any document assigning your copyright to "AN Other" the copyright remains with you. (And for seventy years after you've been boxed up and sent on your merry way.)

Porcy

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

"Best looking operators!" and "silliest smilers" awards.  :mocking_mini:

P

As far as I can see I'm the only one actually smiling! The rest seem to be grimaces.

The awards are actually the York Trophy for best layout (a source of great pride and currently displayed on the mantlepiece in my dad's house despite being a bit of a brute!) and a rather unexpected award for 'Best Scratchbuilt Structure' for the engine shed.

Preparations are still in full swing for Aylesbury in May, with another passenger rake in progress, a V3 currently being lined, a couple of diesels (gasp!) in the works, along with their associated brake tender, and a nice little NCB saddletank just about finished. I'll have to go over and get some photos of these when they're completed.

Thanks for looking in,

Arp

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Great pics Arp, had the pleasure of a quick chat with your dad at Scalefour North (tried to persuade him to lend me a 9F if I ever get South Pelaw Junction built :) )

John

I hope he was polite and cheery, and not his usual grumpy self!

Having looked at the 'night-time' photos on my monitor at work, it seems that they're a bit dark. I'll have to have a go at taking longer exposures to see if I can better capture the subdued 1950s railway lighting!

Arp

I hope he was polite and cheery, and not his usual grumpy self!

Couldn't possible comment :) 

Seriously, he was great, I also got to meet 3 of the other guys in the Scalefour pic and now can't seem to get away from them having bumped into one or more of them at both the York and Spennymoor shows.  I am really looking forward to seeing Blackgill at Railex NE later in the year.

John

• 11 months later...

Blackgill is all set up and ready to go at Scalefour North in Wakefield. Come and say hello if you're at the show. There's an bonus 9F this year, with 92099 emerging from the works, and we might even be demonstrating the new 'Dusk Mode' option!

post-1044-0-51711300-1429311378_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Arp

• Like 13

Great to hear your back Arp... I look forward to more photos on here and the scalefour web site. Unfortunately I won't be able to see the layout in the flesh! Australia to Scaleforum/ scalefour North is not just dropping in!