Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

Hello gents,

I can't take any credit for the modelling; it's all my dads! I just take the photos! He's been working on Blackgill on and off for about 15 years now, with other things taking his attention over that time! Now it's finally coming together. The K1 is indeed a Dave Bradwell kit.

I was trying out the digital macro setting on my new little digital camera (rather than my usual DSLR) the other day so took a few quick photos. I don't have control over the aperture so the depth of field isn't really too good.

post-1044-126703181833_thumb.jpg

K1 and Ivatt 2MT rest on the shed.

post-1044-126703205826_thumb.jpg

NCB brakevan from the colliery branch. See what I mean about the depth of field?

post-1044-126703219922_thumb.jpg

46475 parked on Blackgill shed. It seems to be a popular engine to model!

post-1044-126703250504_thumb.jpg

A view inside the depot. Still quite light and airy in the mid-50s before the rot set in.

Thanks again for the positive comments. Glad you're enjoying the photos and the layout.

Arp

• Like 5

Hi Arp

I've been deleting several extra copies of your post, not helped by the photos seeming to vanish from the one remaining. I think it's OK now.

Please see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/10241-those-error-messages-and-multiple-postings/ regarding the error message - there's no need to keep repeating the post.

Cheers,

Hi Arp

I've been deleting several extra copies of your post, not helped by the photos seeming to vanish from the one remaining. I think it's OK now.

Please see http://www.rmweb.co....tiple-postings/ regarding the error message - there's no need to keep repeating the post.

Cheers,

Whoops, thanks for letting me know! Sorry for posting multiple times, but I didn't want to have to upload the images again if I'd navigated to the index to check! Many thanks for sorting out my madness. Watch this get an error now!

Arp

A couple more snaps that I overlooked.

post-1044-126720567072_thumb.jpg

The assembled motive power. Ignore the wonky headlamp!

post-1044-126720577346_thumb.jpg

J71 rests on shed. Another wonky headlamp.

post-1044-126720934625_thumb.jpg

The extent of the passenger stock so far.

post-1044-126720944617_thumb.jpg

The yard office and engine shed.

post-1044-126720950948_thumb.jpg

A marginally in-focus Q6 on a good train.

I hope I haven't posted any of these images before. It's hard to keep track now they're spread across two forums and the blogosphere!

Arp

• Like 5

Sorry for posting multiple times, but I didn't want to have to upload the images again if I'd navigated to the index to check!

Arp, if you run parallel browsers (either two tabs, or separate windows, doesnt really matter), you can use one to post and the other to check stuff. Still loving the layout BTW B)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

I got a couple of photos of the latest addition to the loco roster the other day. The N10 will work the colliery branch up from the reception sidings.

post-1044-126873157367_thumb.jpg

Pulling out of the shed yard to take a train up the branch.

post-1044-126873159446_thumb.jpg

A close-up of 69105.

More photos soon.

Arp

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Arpster - thank goodness you're back :icon_drool: Look forward to seeing more

Gus

Oh YES. It's back. This layout has inspired me to extend and modify my pre used EM layout based in the NE (Trafalgar Yard) as well as spending far too much on NER loco kits and appropriate wagons for the era/area.

I have to say that it is easily one of the best layouts scenically that I have ever seen and the photographs are great.

On a lighter note there is, on this latest posting, even a piccy of a Northern bus. My late Granny of Consett (60's) would not use these as she preferred the Yellow buses (Newcastle City Transport?) which were ".... much more comfy hinny!"

Keep the info comping Arps.

Sincerely, Phil @36E

• RMweb Premium

Ian: the ash ballast is, well, ash! Ash from the fire crushed down and sieved to a fine grain and then laid as normal ballast would be. Some different coloured ashes were used in different locations (e.g. where locos stand and outside the shed). I think some powdered chalk was also used to add different colours, such as the reddish tinge to the Down line where the full ore trains would deposit pellets along the track.

Hope this helps,

Arp

Hi Arp and friends. I didn't notice this about the ash on first browse. I have a wood pellet boiler at work and the ash/residue is really good for various scenic uses including ash!!!! It is a bit messy and varies in consistency from almost dust to granules which would be good in 4mm for slaggy coal or slag or similar! Most of the stuff though is just the right scale for scenics, well in 4mm anyway. I also think it could be used by modern image bods as pulverised coal loads as on MGR. I could supply a picture of some of the stuff if required.

Very sincerely, 36E

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Some more photos from Blackgill showing some new stock and motive power. Hope you enjoy them.

post-1044-127038396579_thumb.jpg

It's June 1962 and 92167 of Saltley depot, on loan to Tyne Dock shed, is prepared for its day's work.

post-1044-127038403196_thumb.jpg

Later in the day, the same engine is seen working a coal empties up the bank towards Morrison Busty Colliery.

post-1044-127038407961_thumb.jpg

A close-up profile.

post-1044-127038413288_thumb.jpg

Tyne Dock's J21 65099 rolls into Blackgill station with a short parcels train from Consett to Newcastle.

post-1044-127038418957_thumb.jpg

A closer look at 65099.

post-1044-127038423251_thumb.jpg

A trackworker's eye-view of 92167 passing Blackgill motive power depot.

post-1044-127038430276_thumb.jpg

As above from a different viewpoint.

post-1044-127038450967_thumb.jpg

We stand well clear as the train comes roaring past...

post-1044-127038456558_thumb.jpg

...and off into the sunset.

That's all for now. More next time I get a chance to take some photos.

All the best,

Arp

• Like 13

• 2 months later...

Just registered to be able to post on this thread :D

This is beautiful work, I can see the route of the Consett line from my house and I'm about 15 minutes walk from the site of Beamish Station and Stella Gill sidings. The line also ran past the playing fields of the comprehensive school I used to go to in the very early eighties when trains were still running.

John

So good to see this one back on here,an amazing bit of work,could spend hours looking at this one !!!!

Well done to your Dad, he has an eye for making it look so real,keep up the good work and keep the photos comming!!!

Hello gents,

I can't take any credit for the modelling; it's all my dads! I just take the photos! He's been working on Blackgill on and off for about 15 years now, with other things taking his attention over that time! Now it's finally coming together. The K1 is indeed a Dave Bradwell kit.

I was trying out the digital macro setting on my new little digital camera (rather than my usual DSLR) the other day so took a few quick photos. I don't have control over the aperture so the depth of field isn't really too good.

post-1044-126703181833_thumb.jpg

K1 and Ivatt 2MT rest on the shed.

post-1044-126703205826_thumb.jpg

NCB brakevan from the colliery branch. See what I mean about the depth of field?

post-1044-126703219922_thumb.jpg

46475 parked on Blackgill shed. It seems to be a popular engine to model!

post-1044-126703250504_thumb.jpg

A view inside the depot. Still quite light and airy in the mid-50s before the rot set in.

Thanks again for the positive comments. Glad you're enjoying the photos and the layout.

Arp

What a great photo and some superb modelling inside the shed. I am enjoying all the photos of this layout

Colin

Guest Max Stafford

Every time I look in on this thread there are new wonders to behold. Superlatives are utterly redundant on this top-class layout! B)

Dave.

• 6 months later...

Nice to explore more of the gorgeous Blackgill so thanks for the pics, Arp. Am I right in assuming that the layout is finished and that your dad is simply adding to the stock and playing trains? It certainly looks complete, in which case, are there any plans to exhibit it in the future?

• RMweb Gold

Surely one of the very best layouts around, something just 'right' about it (well it is North Eastern) your dad certainly has an eye for the subtle details and hasn't spoilt it with 'too much' detail. I really hope it is portable so we can see it in the flesh sometime. Keep posting pics.