Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

Tim: your wish is my command! Here are some pics of the completed rake of iron ore hoppers. Now they just need some loads of iron ore and a Westinghouse 9F to haul them up the bank!

As it stands, the old Thompson O1 struggles on with its load of eight hoppers.

Wonderful! Thanks for that. Glad to see you've got the correct number of hoppers for the loco: as I understand it, the Q7s could manage 7, the O1s 8, and only the 9Fs could manage 9. What do you think you'll use for the load?

Awesome if I can get a fraction of that atmosphere and detail on my layout I'd be happy, where'd you get those 56t iron ore hoppers from are they scratch or kit built? They are amazing, I've been looking for prototype images of them everywhere without success and would love a rake for my layout.

Cheers Paul.

• RMweb Premium

The Bradwell hopper kit is a beautiful etch; not for a beginner though (unless you are a genius or similar). Less than £30 I think.

Recently there were a load of these hoppers (OO I think) on that auction site and very good they looked. However, they went for BIG sums; way beyond my wallet.

Oh, again this layout astounds. I will make the trip to Blyth if it is to be there.

36E

• 3 months later...

Hello again,

Having just returned from Scalefour North with my dad and thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought I should get a few photos of Blackgill while I was inspired! First though, I'm made a track plan of the layout which I thought I'd share with you. This is primarily to go in the programme for the Blyth show on the August Bank Holiday weekend which I can confirm will be Blackgill's first exhibition appearance. More info about the show is here. Arrangements are afoot for some of Chris Pendleton's rolling stock to be drafted in to bolster the trains on display! It's now all hands to the pump to get everything finished before then, with still plenty of work to be done on constructing lighting, practising the operation of the layout, and finishing off enough stock and loco's to run over the weekend! Speaking of which, there are also some photos here of the latest addition to the stud; another Q6.

post-1044-0-35589000-1302364414_thumb.png

The plan of the layout, made in Powerpoint from a scale drawing my dad did!

post-1044-0-58697100-1302364480_thumb.jpg

A look inside the shed which is slowly filling up with engines! A bit of a health and safety issue in the foreground that needs addressing too!

post-1044-0-90278400-1302364599_thumb.jpg

Q6 63381 in original as-built condition gets ready to back out of the shed yard. Note the unusual chimney.

post-1044-0-42696600-1302364745_thumb.jpg

Sister engine 63363 moves past the coaling stage.

post-1044-0-70618700-1302364840_thumb.jpg

A view of the shed yard with some of Blackgill's ever-growing loco fleet resting between duties.

post-1044-0-74842700-1302364972_thumb.jpg

You'd better heed that warning sign!

post-1044-0-59784100-1302365077_thumb.jpg

The two Q6s seen side by side as 63381 heads off to Consett with a Southern region brakevan.

• Like 17

This layout has got to be one of the best I have ever seen, right up there with Bramblewick etc.

I have the best part of a thousand mile drive back from a holiday in Switzerland on the Bank Holiday Saturday, looks like I will be doing a further 400 plus mile round trip up to Blyth to see Blackgill on the Sunday.

...post-1044-127038396579_thumb.jpg

It's June 1962 and 92167 of Saltley depot, on loan to Tyne Dock shed, is prepared for its day's work......

I particularly like the way in which the Berkeley stoker engine is visible. It was never a particularly good piece of equipment, but BR probably didn't fully appreciate that the 9F already was a pretty efficient engine design; there was little that could be done to improve it.

92167 survived until about June 1968. By that time, the rearmost set of coupling rods had been removed, and the engine was running as a 2-8-2!

Dave Bradwell kits. probably very accurate and fiddly, but very good.

I picked a 56t hopper up from eBay a long while ago. I liked the sheer bulk of the etchings. Pity they never preserved one. Eventually I suppose I'll get round to building it anyway.

• Like 1

Is the new Q6 the Bradwell kit ?

Significance of the Q6 chimney mentioned in the picture caption ?

Hi Mick,

Both of the two Q6s in the photos are built from Chivers kits, modified where appropriate. 63381 has the early NER-style boiler with the more rounded dome quite close the the chimney. The chimney itself has lost its capuchon due to corrosion, a common occurrence in the class since they spent so much time running in reverse.

LMSForever: the bus as an ABS Models white metal kit of the Leyland/Weymann Tiger Cub.

Glad you enjoy the photos. Work continues on the less glamorous task of building endless hoppers (and their removable coal loads!) plus construction of a lighting façade of some description.

All the best,

Arp

Hi Arpster,

Your dad has done a brilliant with this, the detail in the loco shed is superb, though I do like the 9F and the hoppers on the previous page.B)

Hope all goes well for the exhibition.:D

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

A beutiful layout; I keep coming back to it and drooling, particularly over the station building and the coaling stage. Why those two? Beats me...

Keep on posting,

George

My dad and I had a bit of a running session tonight, using the Q6 on the pick-up goods to drop a few wagons off in the yard and have a play around. I took some photos too which I hope you enjoy. All photos are 'clickable' for much larger versions.

Arp

Any idea why most of the photos in this post and the one following are not showing?

Regards

Keith

Umm More great photos of a fantastic layout, I am so envious of those that can see it at the exhibition. The photo’s of the Q6’s makes me more enthusiastic to go and finish the Bradwell Q6 that I started last winter. All the best for the exhibition.

Makes me think even more on the idea of visiting the UK again this year!(and yes Horsetan it would be the whole clan)

They're all visible to me :blink:

Are you sure? If so what is your secret?

I recommended this topic to someone who came back to me to express his dissappointment that most of the images were not visible. Rather surprised I looked for myself and found the same problem although I had seen the images before. Hence the question.

Since your answer I have now checked with 5 browsers over 3 computers, covering Linux, Win XP and Win 7, all have the same problem.

This occurs on the first page of this topic where post #4 has 15 images listed but I see only two of them, same 2 in every case. also in post #17 where there are 8 pics listed and I see none of them.

So the question stands, any ideas what the problem is?

Regards

Keith