Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

Can someone let me know the different periods for the two GWR versions of the up and coming Streamlined Railcar - Flying Banana?

4D-011-000 streamlined railcar #3 (GWR Lined choc/cream + grey roof)

4D-011-001 streamlined Railcar #2 GWR Choc & cream with white roof

Many thanks

Rich

• RMweb Premium

No 2 is the 1922 - 1927 livery

No 3 is either the 1927 - 1934 livery (Much less lining on this one). or the 1942 - 1947 livery. Without seeing a picture I can't be exact.

• RMweb Gold

Other than the logo, how much difference is there in the lining etc between the 27 - 34 and the 42 - 47 livery?

Just wondering if should it be the earlier livery if I will be able to easily rebrand it to the 40s livery. Of course I still havent found a photo of a streamlined railcar on the Cheddar branch, but on my layout it is certainly going to happen!!!

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how you work that out, Kris. They weren't introduced until 1934, at which point they had a white roof and some lining with a shirtbutton on the nose. I thought the grey roof started around 1940, but need to check...

Nick

I'd been looking at the coaching liveries and totally failing to pay any attention to the introduction date (note to self check this first, whoops). I would suspect that the later livery would tie in with the change in coach livery, but I don't have the exact info to hand.

• Like 1

A quick look through the Judge volume failed to reveal an exact date, but the earliest photos in 'as built' condition with grey roof show the second parcel car, No 34, and the twin unit 35/6, all built in 1941. Again, these have minimal lining with the shirtbutton. Everything earlier appears to have a white roof.

Nick

Silly question (in case I have missed the obvious)

Were there any photos in the Colin Judge GW railcar book showing the post war livery?

On a quick flick through the book, I've only spotted one. It's of 35/6 with intermediate coach in 1944. The quality isn't very good, but enough to see the GWR coat of arms on the nose and at the centre of the side. The number doesn't have 'No' in front as with earlier liveries. There also appears to be an 'R' just below the driver's window. Maybe part of 'G W R' across the centre below the front windows. Also difficult to say much about the lining, other than whatever is there is minimal.

Nick

Guest dilbert

Judge's AEC Railcar tome has an interesting photo in plate 229. The caption reads "Railcar N°11, near Frome, on 8th July 1938, showing roofing detail and also the change from the earlier white roof to black".

In fact the roof is black & white : the area encompassing the vents, pipes etc.. is finished in black, the rest of the roof is white... dilbert

• 2 months later...

Just joined the group and picked up on this topic. I am a little puzzled regarding he discussion on these railcars as people seem to be treating the "flying bananas" as one design, when they were not. The cars proposed by Dapol (Nos 2-4) were buffet cars used exclusively (pre-war, at least) on express main line services. They never, as far as I can find, ran on branch lines (who wants a buffet on a branch ?) although when the buffet twins were introduced later they may have been cascaded to secondary main line services. The other cars mentioned, Nos 6 - 17 were a different shape altogether -(although superficially similar) having a different nose, window and door configuration, lower body and roof profile etc so I think it would be a bit of a problem for Dapol to produce one of these. This may seem to some to be a bit pedantic, but the best comparison I can think of is that between a 49xx "Hall" and a 10xx "County". They both seem similar at a distance but upon perusal they are totally different machines. Look at either Russell's or Judge's railcar books and you will see what I mean. I was a bit upset when I read about the prototype for the Dapol model but agree that the availability of the real thing to measure is a bonus, and well done for doing SOMETHING !!!

Just joined the group and picked up on this topic. I am a little puzzled regarding he discussion on these railcars as people seem to be treating the "flying bananas" as one design, when they were not...

Welcome aboard, sledghampton.

However, may I suggest you read what is written? All mention of other, later, versions has been in response to questions about liveries. I think you'll find that most of us who have posted on this topic are very well versed in the differences.

Nick

So you have gone off topic then this thread is about railcars and what you did not state you were refering to the other class

No he's not, he just expressed a valid desire to see these railcars in N and referenced the other classes as sound reasoning why they should at some point get shrunk. I'd buy one in N.

• Like 3

Please could members keep to the topic rather than making personal and potentially inflammatory comments, which I have removed,  about each other as such things make my diodes even worse than they already are...

• Like 2

Whilst on the subject of GWR railcars, some months ago i saw a photo of a GWR railcar set at Derby. From memory it was a two car unit with a GWR coach in the middle. I am guessing it was some kind of special train or railtour.

Does anyone else recall this image ?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Whilst on the subject of GWR railcars, some months ago i saw a photo of a GWR railcar set at Derby. From memory it was a two car unit with a GWR coach in the middle. I am guessing it was some kind of special train or railtour.

Does anyone else recall this image ?

Thanks

Might be the set on its way to or from the Leeds area where it went for some trials in the early-ish 1950s; there's a fairly well known pic of it standing in the station at Harrogate.

These were cars 35 - 38and were delivered in 1941 as 2 pairs intended to provide increased capacity on the Cardiff to Birmingham route where the original 44 seat buffet railcars were hopelessly overtaxed. in fact even before Nos 35/6 were launched, it proved necessaryto further increase their capacity by adding a standard coach coupled between the two single ended railcars. With the coach modified to allow the control systems of the railcars to be linked, a three car DMU was produced. Though it pointed the way to the future with its two powered cars,it was not the first three carDMU, the LMS having experimented with an articulated three-car set in 1918.

Cars No36 & 38 had seats for 44 passengers, a small luggage section and a buffet section. The inner end of the cars were fitted with standard GWR gangway connections. Cars no 35 & 37 had seating for 60, a similar luggage compartment and two lavatoriesat the inner end adjacent to the gangway connection. Nos 36/37 initially worked with 70ft inermediate coach No 4509 to give a total capacity of 184, but from time to time during their career they ran with other intermediate vehicles or as a two-car  set. No 37 was damaged by fire in 1947 and its place was taken by No 22 for a while. eventually in1954 No 33 was rebuilt with a gangway at the van end to run with No 38. 35/36 were withdrawn in 1957 And all the other razor edged cars went between 1960-1962 (this info from a larger article on GWR railcars in Model Rail January 2006)

Edited by Hailstone