Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

Here's another one for you, from the other side.

attachicon.gifD_01.JPG

Nice photo. Dapol have sorted out the top angle of the top edge of the sliding door windows at one cab end and the last passenger window angle of the top edge at the other end, so they now both slope with the downwards curve of the roof towards the cab side windows, and the bottom edges are horizontal, creating an unusual but accurate trapezoid shape. They also seem to have corrected the position of the end sliding door windows so that the lower edge is higher than the passenger window and level with the cab side window lower edge. All of those were issues on the last published cad. My only slight concern is the diameter of the roof pipe, which still resembles a drain pipe diameter rather than a conduit, but overall looking very nice and justifies my pre order.

I'm only interested in the GWR versions so this comment doesn't affect me but hadn't the railcars lost the skirt panels over the bogies by BR days. I need to dig out my wild swan book to be sure.

Am quietly hopeful Dapol will do No 17 eventually. They have the roof, driving cabs and chassis. The side panels are easy in comparison. Happy to wait though.

I presume the big lump of plastic blocking the window to the right of the centre door in Rob's top pic is to hide the motor?

Possibly not. Nos.10-12 were fitted with toilet compartments which looks rather like that.

I'm only interested in the GWR versions so this comment doesn't affect me but hadn't the railcars lost the skirt panels over the bogies by BR days. I need to dig out my wild swan book to be sure.

I think a few were removed in late GWR days, but yes, for the BR crimson/cream and green liveries those panels would be missing.

Am quietly hopeful Dapol will do No 17 eventually. They have the roof, driving cabs and chassis. The side panels are easy in comparison. Happy to wait though.

As mentioned In the 1930's panels began to be removed. There were some running with just the panel over the drive shafts missing

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/henleyinarden/gwrha469.jpg

and others with all removed.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/springroad/gwrsr1115.jpg

No 17 lost the panels quite early. I have an MTK kit parcels that I removed the skirts from based on many images of this one.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/henleyinarden/gwrha469.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's interesting that in a programme on PBS America ("The Streamliners") they stated that the US had the world's first streamlined diesels in 1934.

(Unfortunately the GWR and DR had them one year before!)

Keith

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any update on expected delivery date?

'Mid-2016' was the lastest information I can recall seeing.

I think you could add a one to it, as far as I can find out, and there is little, this year is too optimistic for delivery, but maybe early next year.

A few of my shots.

post-126-0-16830500-1448908250_thumb.jpg

Nice shots. I think that there is something not-quite-right about the streamlining beneath the cabside windows. The curvature is wrong and it is too pointed. It should be more rounded as can be seen in this photo below.

c0165.jpg

• Like 3

Also added to the curve being a touch out, the front side window back edge is too high, and the ventilator strips in the glazing are not lined up to the correct droop and the next window along. The shape is very complex and it may have been dealt with in the final moulds,

Nice shots. I think that there is something not-quite-right about the streamlining beneath the cabside windows. The curvature is wrong and it is too pointed. It should be more rounded as can be seen in this photo below.

c0165.jpg

You seem to be getting confused because of the lining that makes the real one look more rounded. Looks fine to be. The lining is certainly a factor here. Maybe a pro at photoshop can apply the livery to the sample and see. Some weathering will also highlight and darken various areas....

• RMweb Premium

You seem to be getting confused because of the lining that makes the real one look more rounded. Looks fine to be. The lining is certainly a factor here. Maybe a pro at photoshop can apply the livery to the sample and see. Some weathering will also highlight and darken various areas....

The curvature on the early units is not symmetrical, the "point" is below the midway of the curves e.g. below the straight lining on No.10

Like so:

http://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt2424.htm

Keith

If the Dapol one is supposed to be of Nos 2-4 the front is completely wrong.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I also hope they get the seating right as the seats over the diesel engines were raised higher as can be seen in the previous photo......with the distinctive `board` in front of the windows.......

post-17779-0-36649100-1463126243_thumb.jpg

Plus as built had roller blinds and not curtains....and many detail differences at the front ends........ this all may be too much for Dapol me thinks.........

Edited by ROSSPOP

With all due respect to the copyrights of the pevious posters, adjusted shots which show the front side window top to be too high, raising the vent window strip out of line with the next window. The true alinement line is shown on the colour shot for comparison.

post-6750-0-18211100-1463127679.jpg

post-6750-0-50391000-1463127693.jpg

It is not the lining, the overall curve of the front edge line is slightly flatter than the real section, but it is very close, and the real lining does not exactly follow the edge at the tip anyway, only a fraction out, but visible. The lining being out tends to make the line flatter with a sharper end. the Dapol shape curves more at the start, but it is very near really. The only check would be to do measuered sections at say two inch intervals from drawings or a surviving example.

I would say the curve is almost acceptable, but the window really stands out once noticed.

I assume that the sample is 3D printed from the CAD files, and may have slight errors, CAD is not perfect, it is only as good as the users skills in interpreting the drawing, or scan, through to a solid final form. All complex shapes need very careful interpretation, it is not an automatic process despite seeming so in CAD.

The final factory moulds can be adjusted in the CAD files, and the CNC tool control program to correct the slight problems and they are machined on far more sophisticated CNC machining centres capable of much higher step resolution than any 3D printer can manage.

It is just never safe to trust the scans to the CAD and CNC straight to a master mould, it does not work that way, I know, I had to design things this way myself in instrument making.

Stephen.

I should add there is optical distortion in the shot of the Dapol, the bracket fronts appear to lean forward, but on examination of the original they lean at the same angle as the bridge supports which I assume are vertical. This indicates a pincushion distortion in the image, and may be distorting the curve somewhat. In saying the image is distorted, please do not waoory about the camera, even a Leica zoom would have the issue, it is just a factor with zoom lenses, and sometimes fixed focal length lenses on phones. Cameras can lie, it's the plain truth!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that Dapol shell it is not of No.s 2-4 but the next series.

I'm confused. Which type are they supposed to be?

I thought the original ones to be released were No.s 2 & 3.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64529-Dapol-streamlined-railcar/&do=findComment&comment=850656

Keith

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64529-Dapol-streamlined-railcar/&do=findComment&comment=850656

Keith

From the Dapol website:

4D-011-000 Streamlined  Railcar No 7 Chocolate & Cream GWR Monogram

4D-011-001 Streamlined Railcar No 12 Chocolate & Cream GWR Monogram

4D-011-002 Streamlined Railcar BR Lined Chocolate & Cream W10

4D-011-003 Streamlined Railcar BR Lined Carmine & Cream W14

All have a status of:Evaluating First Shots; due 2nd  Quarter 2016

Edited by KGV

Just for reference shot run through Gimp to remove most of the optical distortion. It seems to look more accurate.

post-6750-0-48752000-1463130052.jpg

post-6750-0-07943800-1463130036_thumb.jpg

Window top is still out the same......

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

• RMweb Gold

Keith

There has been some confusion about exactly which car(s) were being modelled right from the start and the latest listing on the Dapol website seems to continue that as there were differences between the running numbers Dapol are quoting (e.g toilet or lack of and number of seats).  I don't know if one was actually scanned but I recall the original intention was to scan the car preserved at Swindon museum (a buffet equipped car) which no doubt added to the confusion.  All we can do - I think - is wait and see what actually emerges.

A not so clever thing is the moulded tail lamp - which appears to be an integral part of the body moulding.  We can but hope that it will be removed from the production version as it's going to look a bit daft with a rather prominent tail lamp on both ends (or will it only be on one end thereby putting modellers of branch lines in a sort of Catch 22 situation?).