Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

There are a few of the BR Chocolate & Cream Livery version knocking about here and there, but not in GWR livery or Carmine and Cream i'm afraid. Although, my local model shop do not sell online and tend to have things in stock long after those elsewhere have sold out - give 53a Models a call. 

CoY

Try TRains4U in Peterborough. They had chocolate a cream ones a few weeks ago and I don't think there's big demand for GWR in Peterborough.

• 4 months later...

Just picked up a flyer for the next batch from the Dapol stand at the Alsager RA show at Crewe. Not much about this elsewhere on the net so here is the essence.

4D-011-005 to be No12, Lined Choc & Cream, GWR Monogram & Valance

4D-011-006 to be No10, Lined Choc & Cream, GWR Monogram

4D-011-007 to be W11, BR Lined Chocolate & Cream

4D-011-008 to be W8, BR Lined Carmine & Cream

4D-011-009 to be No16, Lined Choc & Cream, GWR Twin Cities

4D-011-100 to be No17, Express parcels Choc & Cream

4D-011-101 to be W17, Express Parcels Crimson

There was what I take to be the "1st shot evaluation" of the Parcels Car body in the showcase, a grainy photo of which can be found on the Antics site if you search on the part number. According to the flyer the new variant has a new shell, new glazing and "new interior with a fine representation of the parcel shelving".

Expected in shops End Q2 2019 (it says) with current indicated pricing of £147.95 for the basic cars, £174.95 for the DCC versions (suffix D), and £297.95 for the DCC & Sound versions (suffix S). This latter version can apparently be pre-ordered now. "Dapol reserve the right to adjust the price and details" quite naturally.

Just what I've read, I have no further info, no connection other than a fan of the railcars...

Ken...

Just picked up a flyer for the next batch from the Dapol stand at the Alsager RA show at Crewe. Not much about this elsewhere on the net so here is the essence.

4D-011-005 to be No12, Lined Choc & Cream, GWR Monogram & Valance

4D-011-006 to be No10, Lined Choc & Cream, GWR Monogram

4D-011-007 to be W11, BR Lined Chocolate & Cream

4D-011-008 to be W8, BR Lined Carmine & Cream

4D-011-009 to be No16, Lined Choc & Cream, GWR Twin Cities

4D-011-100 to be No17, Express parcels Choc & Cream

4D-011-101 to be W17, Express Parcels Crimson

There was what I take to be the "1st shot evaluation" of the Parcels Car body in the showcase, a grainy photo of which can be found on the Antics site if you search on the part number. According to the flyer the new variant has a new shell, new glazing and "new interior with a fine representation of the parcel shelving".

Expected in shops End Q2 2019 (it says) with current indicated pricing of £147.95 for the basic cars, £174.95 for the DCC versions (suffix D), and £297.95 for the DCC & Sound versions (suffix S). This latter version can apparently be pre-ordered now. "Dapol reserve the right to adjust the price and details" quite naturally.

Just what I've read, I have no further info, no connection other than a fan of the railcars...

Ken...

Oh just fantastic!!!! I’ve been quietly prompting for the Parcels car with Dapol, Thank you, you’ve made me a very happy modeller!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can be ticked off the RMWeb Wishlist now as well... 126 votes :)

Hello Gareth

Can I just clarify for the benefit of readers that The 00 Wishlist Poll is organised by the 9-man Poll Team and we are unpaid and totally independent. RMweb kindly 'hosts' The Poll for us - with Andy York kindly putting the computerised aspects together for us as a volunteer. He nor Warners/BRM etc have any influence or responsibility for it.

We make that statement at the foot of each of the Results pages on our thread.

Thanks for your understanding of the need for that clarification.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

With these new versions coming out, does anyone know roughly when they ran? I'm very confused as to which numbers sit in which years with what features! I would have thought the valance would be the earlier version, but it's numbered 12.

And then where do these fit in relation to the current release?

• RMweb Gold

Tyseley had two of the early Park Royal bodied cars, 2 and 4 for the Cardiff service from new. 3 was at Canton. The new service was so popular that it had to be replaced by loco hauled trains. After that I think the railcars only went to Tyseley to die, setting the trend for later DMU transfers to the depot when WMPTE got everyone's rubbish and turned it into sets for the Cross City and other routes.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, that helps! I don't think I realised that so many appeared in 36.

Did the parcels ones really just buzz between small stations picking up and dropping off mail? I'm surprised the mail traffic was enough to justify a dedicated unit.

Did the parcels ones really just buzz between small stations picking up and dropping off mail? I'm surprised the mail traffic was enough to justify a dedicated unit.

I get the impression they carried any 'platform traffic', including milk, although the door widths struggled a bit with churns:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nochurns.html

They didn't seem to offer much more than any normal express passenger with luggage space.

• RMweb Gold

I just remember 17 working through Snow Hill when based at Leaminghton c1958. Later the Birmingham area had 3x Class 128 for parcels working. My impression was that they shuttled the traffic to local stations which were manned up to take parcels and smalls via the booking office. They kept such traffic off the local passenger services which was important for timekeeping in heavily trafficed areas.

This is an extract showing the workings for Car No.34 in the mid 1950s.

post-9767-0-69808500-1546182795.jpg

As one of the later cars this could take tail traffic which 17 could not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I get the impression they carried any 'platform traffic', including milk, although the door widths struggled a bit with churns:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nochurns.html

They didn't seem to offer much more than any normal express passenger with luggage space.

Great picture of them trying to ram them into the door. You can hear them now. 'Stupid new invention this railcar, these modern design never work'.

With these new versions coming out, does anyone know roughly when they ran? I'm very confused as to which numbers sit in which years with what features! I would have thought the valance would be the earlier version, but it's numbered 12.

All the Railcars built to this pattern (8-16) were fitted with valences when new. These disappeared over the years to ease access for maintenance, particularly during the war. Valences would normally have been present on the versions in "Shirtbutton" livery but less likely on later liveries, the numbering was not really a factor.

• RMweb Gold

All the Railcars built to this pattern (8-16) were fitted with valences when new. These disappeared over the years to ease access for maintenance, particularly during the war. Valences would normally have been present on the versions in "Shirtbutton" livery but less likely on later liveries, the numbering was not really a factor.

Nah!!!

post-17779-0-24444100-1546445145_thumb.jpg

And also during the war some of them were only driven from one single axle

John :boast:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Returning to this thread about the running problems , jerkiness flashing/ dimming lights,which many owners have experienced including myself, I am pretty experienced in sorting out various faults and problems but with this model I just hadn’t the time to have a go.Now I really like this model and would love to have it running nicely from a crawl.A close friend who is an expert at sorting things Model Railway  said he would have look.

well it’s sorted , which may help others to get theirs running nicely.

he found that the brushes were far too light on the commutator and the contacts were hardly touching at times hence the surging and the lights dimming and brightening.

he increased the pressure on the brushes and the running was greatly improved and the lights were a constant brightness forward and reverse head and tail.

also a change of decoder to a guage master further improved the smoothness of the running.

my thanks to him for getting this would be stored model back to a smooth running machine on my little layout

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/01/2019 at 16:07, ROSSPOP said:

And also during the war some of them were only driven from one single axle

John :boast:

According to RCTS probably all the later cars had the coupling shafts removed.

Doesn't mention the earlier ones which (mostly?) seemed to still kept them until withdrawal.

e.g.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1809.htm

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I might be mistaken or maybe these are only representative samples but I thought at least one of the GWR shirtbutton railcars was being produced with valances again. I’ve looked at Hattons website but the product listings don’t reflect this. Have I missed a change in spec. I know the parcels car wasnt having valances.