Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

On 30/12/2018 at 08:40, Miss Prism said:

I get the impression they carried any 'platform traffic', including milk, although the door widths struggled a bit with churns:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nochurns.html

They didn't seem to offer much more than any normal express passenger with luggage space.

....but they avoided the need to hold passenger trains whilst platform traffic was loaded/unloaded.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/04/2019 at 09:14, woodenhead said:

if they have altered the mechanism and improved the interior since the fist tranche, I feel a little cheated by Dapol.

So you would prefer it if they ignored feedback? Sounds like they can’t win. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/04/2019 at 08:14, Yankee said:

New releases due soon say all wheel pickup and drive, hopefully this might overcome some of the drive problems.

Dapol's site lists them all as sound fitted.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oops. I’ve succumbed again to railcaritus! Another 2 added to the fleet! Unfortunately for my wallet, Dapol listened when I asked for No17 to be done! That makes 11separate railcars including my 25year kit built twin set and a kit built No18 which was a real struggle to line. 

There is a real danger that Heljan will entice me when theres appears but for now I would like/want the buffet and Gloucester cars. No1 is possibly a dream too far. If those are done I’ll have every GWR type. Perhaps Dapol are listening - I can hope!

I probably need to model the AEC railcar shed at Southall to justify so many.

Edited by ndg910
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 11/01/2020 at 01:48, lofty1966 said:

I waved a little white flag and ordered No.17

Takes my Dapol Railcar count to 3.

I am ashamed

I can’t imagine why. I want one as well, which would take my count to three. I shall have one when the finances permit. Super models, in spite of the jet engine on the roof.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I can’t imagine why. I want one as well, which would take my count to three. I shall have one when the finances permit. Super models, in spite of the jet engine on the roof.

I have no layout (or room for one), yet I still buy goodies.

That is my shame :rolleyes:

52 minutes ago, lofty1966 said:

I have no layout (or room for one), yet I still buy goodies.

That is my shame :rolleyes:

Still no need for shame, if the goodies give you pleasure. In your position, I would, if possible, construct a plank, two or three feet long and load it with detail, so that you could at least drool over your goodies crawling along. On DCC they could wink their lights at you and with sound, grumble at you. If you have a Bachmann Class 90, it could even wave its panto at you. Dapol Railcars are ideal for a short plank, as are Dapol’s Bubblecars.

Whatever you do, enjoy it without shame, so long as you don’t bankrupt yourself!

• Like 1

My Parcels GWR railcar number 17 arrived from Hattons today.  A beautiful model which captures  the sinuous curves of the original, detailing and  the livery is expertly applied. A lovely job. 

I am pleased but see that it is not all wheel drive and has one powered bogie and the other is for pick up .  See earlier post which reflected Dapol's claims that the drive arrangements had been improved.  Hattons thought it was all wheel drive when I checked  with them on pre- ordering. Not  a deal breaker as my earlier  passenger version runs well and was relatively easy to convert to EM gauge.

It has not been run yet as there other  jobs in front of the 2do list.

3 hours ago, 1466 said:

My Parcels GWR railcar number 17 arrived from Hattons today.  A beautiful model which captures  the sinuous curves of the original, detailing and  the livery is expertly applied. A lovely job. 

I am pleased but see that it is not all wheel drive and has one powered bogie and the other is for pick up .  See earlier post which reflected Dapol's claims that the drive arrangements had been improved.  Hattons thought it was all wheel drive when I checked  with them on pre- ordering. Not  a deal breaker as my earlier  passenger version runs well and was relatively easy to convert to EM gauge.

It has not been run yet as there other  jobs in front of the 2do list.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that I'd read here that poor running of the original issue of railcar was cured by disconnecting the drive to one bogie.

If so, Dapol appear to have come to the conclusion that all-wheel drive was not a good idea.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

My earlier passenger version was 1 motor with drive to one bogie and pick up from t’other . I never had problems with its running and there was no sign of a uj drive to both ends of the motor .

I did follow posts here with reports of poor running and remedies .

From all I read I believe the spec for the first batch was drive to one bogie only . My hopes were raised with talk of drive to both bogies but if the parcel car runs as well as my passenger railcar , I’ll be content .

The AEC railcar, produced by Dapol, only ever had the drive to a single bogie. This appeared in the first releases, which followed on immediately after the first releases of the BR Class 121 and 122 railcar in 'oo' gauge. It is the 121/122 that have the twin bogie drive and I have one running with one drive shaft and a couple of intermediate gears removed and it has a better range of speed. This railcar model was probably designed as a single bogie drive, as it depicts a prototype that wasn't equipped to pull vans/carriages.

I have the first release in BR crimson/cream and am waiting for the crimson parcels version, which has just been released.  

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, rembrow said:

The AEC railcar, produced by Dapol, only ever had the drive to a single bogie. This appeared in the first releases, which followed on immediately after the first releases of the BR Class 121 and 122 railcar in 'oo' gauge. It is the 121/122 that have the twin bogie drive and I have one running with one drive shaft and a couple of intermediate gears removed and it has a better range of speed. This railcar model was probably designed as a single bogie drive, as it depicts a prototype that wasn't equipped to pull vans/carriages.

I have the first release in BR crimson/cream and am waiting for the crimson parcels version, which has just been released.  

Car No.1 was single engine, single drive. All the rest had two engines and two driven bogies but headless buffers.

If Dapol are showing them in later condition with panels removed they need to show the drive train.

The later angular cars had standard buffers & drawgear.

Edited by melmerby

Just to clarify , we were discussing drive on the  the model not the real thing . 
Dapol have included dummy drive shafts if you are modelling the railcar in later condition with  valances or skirts removed   .

Mine is being run in on rollers and is ticking over quietly and smoothly .

• Like 1

My No 17 runs well and has a huge motor for just the single vehicle.  Some points:

It has not been fitted with optional lamp brackets as were the first shipment of passenger vehicles.  As I understand it this means that it should only run with the skirts on as lamp brackets were fitted shortly after introduction, I assume that this was at the request of the signalmen who wanted positive sight of a lamp rather than having to look for the rather small electric light during the day.

I fit Zimo decoders to my models.  When the railcar was tested in the shop in DC the cab and head tail lights came on but not the interior ones.  Once the decoder was fitted the head and tail lights work as expected and the interior lights are switchable as expected.  But the cab lights do not work at all!  I have set up the decoder with the same CV values as my previous 2 Dapol railcars and use the same function keys.  Any offers as what to do?

Best regards

Julian

My BR Crimson Parcels railcar arrived today. Runs very smoothly, however I've found that one bogie is missing the driveshaft moulding, so only one bogie has this fitted, not correct for a two engine railcar. I'm wondering if the factory fitted a bogie that was set up for the GWR version with fairings. I believe in these versions the drive shafts come as additional components if the fairings are removed.

I could have returned, but seems so much trouble, so bit the bullet and have ordered a driveshaft spare from DCC Supplies, the Dapol spares supplier.

MG7305 mentions that lamp brackets were missing on his, mine has come with oil lamps in a spares bag, which are plug in fittings at the centre of the cab front.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rembrow said:

MG7305 mentions that lamp brackets were missing on his, mine has come with oil lamps in a spares bag, which are plug in fittings at the centre of the cab front.

My first passenger car came with optional lamps but had to go back because it was faulty

The replacement one didn't have them and rather foolishly when I sent the first one back I included them!:banghead:

• Friendly/supportive 1