Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

• RMweb Gold

My postman handed me my No17 GWR parcel from Hattons just this morning, so pretty good service for delivery here in France.

First impression? A weighty and beautiful model, although I simply must paint out those dark brown subframe screw heads, so visible on the floor of the cab through the windows . 

Running in to follow and I simply must decide how to best manage this railcar addiction, as the roster now contains six! Passenger and parcels by Lima, Hornby and Dapol, but then there's that pre-order for the Heljan. At least the Kernow railmotor is still in the far distance, but I will be needing to build a motor shed at the very least.

Best,

Bill

Edited by longchap
spilling!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MG 7305 said:

To clarify, there are neither the plug holes nor plug in lamps.

Best regards

Julian

If it helps, I've attached 2 photos of my BR crimson No 17. The first is of the front, with the hole for the lamp and bracket in the middle, just below the waistline, the second is the accessory bag which has two lamps with plug in fittings.

P1050815.JPG

P1050816.JPG

Well well.  Different bodies!  My GWR monogram model does not have a mid nose hole, the position is taken by the monogram.  As I stated in my earlier email, that is correct for when No 17 was first introduced.  Compare the photographs on pages 93 and 97 of The History  of the Great Western AEC Diesel Railcars by Colin Judge.  On introduction, see page 93 no lamp bracket and bogie skirts.  By 23 Aug 39, page 97,  the lamp bracket has been fitted and the skirts removed.

Kudos to Dapol to include this detail difference. 

Best regards

Julian

Edited by MG 7305
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/01/2020 at 08:48, MG 7305 said:

My No 17 runs well and has a huge motor for just the single vehicle.  Some points:

It has not been fitted with optional lamp brackets as were the first shipment of passenger vehicles.  As I understand it this means that it should only run with the skirts on as lamp brackets were fitted shortly after introduction, I assume that this was at the request of the signalmen who wanted positive sight of a lamp rather than having to look for the rather small electric light during the day.

I fit Zimo decoders to my models.  When the railcar was tested in the shop in DC the cab and head tail lights came on but not the interior ones.  Once the decoder was fitted the head and tail lights work as expected and the interior lights are switchable as expected.  But the cab lights do not work at all!  I have set up the decoder with the same CV values as my previous 2 Dapol railcars and use the same function keys.  Any offers as what to do?

Best regards

Julian

I installed a SoundTraxx UK diesel 21PNEM decoder which conveniently has the sounds for the early Derby Class DMUs which themselves used similar AEC diesels. I had to experiment with the various CVs to find the one for the cab lights and after that reprogrammed the decoder function map accordingly. If you are still trying to figure that out I’ll check my programming notes and get back to you. I now can control all lights. Be aware that the cab lights are by default directional and also only come on when the “headlights” are on. This is a beautiful runner even with only one powered boggie, probably due to the weight of the cast metal chassis.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was very impressed with my new Parcels Railcar.  Unfortunately I have discovered a snag. The powered bogie is so low slung that it fouls Kadee uncoupling magnets. At speed it can just graze over them albeit with an obvious hesitation. At lower speeds the driving wheels are  lifted clear and whirr round uselessly.....the car is at a standstill!

The magnets (the thin flat ones) are properly aligned and cause no problems for any other locos. Granby has lots of automated Loco exchanges so the magnets are used extensively throughout the layout. This issue will severely restrict my use of the Railcar.........unfortunately its now weathered, roof painted and with valances removed:sadclear:..........my 10' long test and profile track has no magnets....... grrr

Has anyone else had this problem and is there anything I can do to alleviate it? I guess re wheeling is out of the question......probably outside my skill range anyway.

Rather despondent in Vancouver (but it is only a hobby:rolleyes:)

John

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, john dew said:

I was very impressed with my new Parcels Railcar.  Unfortunately I have discovered a snag. The powered bogie is so low slung that it fouls Kadee uncoupling magnets. At speed it can just graze over them albeit with an obvious hesitation. At lower speeds the driving wheels are  lifted clear and whirr round uselessly.....the car is at a standstill!

The magnets (the thin flat ones) are properly aligned and cause no problems for any other locos. Granby has lots of automated Loco exchanges so the magnets are used extensively throughout the layout. This issue will severely restrict my use of the Railcar.........unfortunately its now weathered, roof painted and with valances removed:sadclear:..........my 10' long test and profile track has no magnets....... grrr

John

I've got a No.12 passenger car and that is OK over track mounted magnets. (code 83 magnets on code 75 track)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Keith.

Problem solved...........for the longest time I have mounted my magnets directly on to the sleepers (Code 100), not only because its easier but also because I am constantly changing my mind!

Cutting away the sleepers at three (fortunately long established)  uncoupling locations and re mounting  the magnets directly on the track bed so they are just level with rail height and all is well........the railcar can now buzz from Chester (storage) to Granby King St and on to the Corwen branch. They were never actually in the North West as far as I know but I think this sort of replicates the type of schedules they ran in Birmingham and the South.

Happy and content in Vancouver:D

John

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a simple conversion . The driven bogie original Dapol wheels can be eased  out  on their axles using a GW models gear puller . Check b to b with EM gauge society gauge .

The non driven bogie is a little more complex . Discard the original wheels and axles which are shorter than the 26 mm norm . Replace with Gibson’s 12 mm 3 hole disc . You’ll need to shorten the  Gibson axles . I used a drill and a file . The pick ups need also fiddling .

ive done this twice and both run well .

i wrote up the conversion in an EM Gauge newsletter .

Good luck 

Ken 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I bought a #12 railcar and am absolutely delighted with it.  I don't model GWR, but these are gorgeous and run very well, even with a cheap Lais DCC chip. Only the barren cab lets them down, and I may well have a go at that. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

sorry to drag this thread up (and if my question has been answered already). recently picked up No8 from rails and fitted an ESU LokPilot Standard (Bachmann 21 pin).

I can't get the internal lighting to work, cab and direction lighting is fine. i assumed F2 would turn the interior lighting on but nothing. I don't have a dc power supply to check they work.

I'm using a gaugemaster prodogy express

any help much appreciated

thanks

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2020 at 19:44, jonnyuk said:

sorry to drag this thread up (and if my question has been answered already). recently picked up No8 from rails and fitted an ESU LokPilot Standard (Bachmann 21 pin).

I can't get the internal lighting to work, cab and direction lighting is fine. i assumed F2 would turn the interior lighting on but nothing. I don't have a dc power supply to check they work.

I'm using a gaugemaster prodogy express

any help much appreciated

thanks

I suspect its the same as the Class 21 and Kernow Warship - you need to map the functions of a 6 function decoder. I found out how to do that with a Zimo - would post the link but can't find at the moment  - not sure if the same is possible on a Bachmann chip.

• RMweb Gold

i had a duh moment. my Bachmann chip is a loksound standard chip so is only 4 function! Put in my lais 21 pin 6 function and remapped f2 to f3 and worked a charm. lovely loco, shame about the interior though. I've read some create blogs on decorating the interior, not sure i'm upto that in case i ruin it.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

i had a duh moment. my Bachmann chip is a loksound standard chip so is only 4 function! Put in my lais 21 pin 6 function and remapped f2 to f3 and worked a charm. lovely loco, shame about the interior though. I've read some create blogs on decorating the interior, not sure i'm upto that in case i ruin it.

I've got a Lenz chip and 4 functions works:

functions.JPG.667b681556d3561f3db40e2fbde2eca0.JPG

• Agree 1