class 507, 508, 313..

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm no EMU expert, and its always good to see someone having a go and producing something that wouldn't otherwise be available, but I have to agree with Clive here.  Its hard to see exactly on a plain grey model, but the cab windows look too small to me, the saloon windows seem too deep or too low, and the chamfered section of the cabside is definitely too short (it should stretch back as far as below the cab side window).

I'm no EMU expert, and its always good to see someone having a go and producing something that wouldn't otherwise be available, but I have to agree with Clive here.  Its hard to see exactly on a plain grey model, but the cab windows look too small to me, the saloon windows seem too deep or too low, and the chamfered section of the cabside is definitely too short (it should stretch back as far as below the cab side window).

Agreed on all those points.

£180-£190 seems like quite a lot for the quality being demonstrated. Some of the front details have either been obscured by too-thick application of primer or they have been crudely shaped from styrene in the first place.  There is a world of difference between something like this and a kit produced from a CAD process. Compare this to the kits that DC Kits used to produce (for far less money!).

Anyway, maybe best not to pre-judge. Let's have a look at them at Warley?

• RMweb Premium

As someone who works with 313's on daily basis I can tell you right now there is a LOT wrong with that!!  I am sure I have seen this discussion and indeed that image somewhere else and the suggestion was that a new mould has been made by using an old MTK kit which the front end on this mess strongly represents.

The chassis and bogies look pretty good but that body shell is quite frankly pretty naff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing to remember however is that the windscreens on the 313/315/507/508 family are quite small but tend to appear larger thanks to black surrounds being painted on them.  Even still, these are still way off.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed on all those points.

£180-£190 seems like quite a lot for the quality being demonstrated. Some of the front details have either been obscured by too-thick application of primer or they have been crudely shaped from styrene in the first place.  There is a world of difference between something like this and a kit produced from a CAD process. Compare this to the kits that DC Kits used to produce (for far less money!).

Anyway, maybe best not to pre-judge. Let's have a look at them at Warley?

Prices, are expected to be  260.00 -270.00 per kit . http://www.southernregionmodels.co.uk/

Hi Guy

Are we reading the same price tag. :scratchhead:

Hi Guy

Are we reading the same price tag. :scratchhead:

Eeeekk!!!!! I hope whoever is doing this isn't forking out to someone like CMA Mouldform to make a copy of an MTK kit. Does feel like it though!

If I wanted one that bad I'd design my own kit rather than fork out £300. You could probably commission Revolution Trains to make one RTR for the same price!

Guy

Edited by lyneux

We have said this a few days ago, but its either on another post, or people are reading a different post, I think we are trying to stress that the model is basically just a modified MTK kit that's being cast in resin but with etched window frames, and for the kind of money he is asking for it I feel very few people will buy it, and it will backfire on him, for £260-£270 I would expect something that looks like the prototype not something that most people can tell is derived from the old MTK kit and then cast in resin.

If he is not that bothered he could end up with loads of resin bodies that he would of paid fairly high prices to get casted and people wont buy the kit as it looks absolute rubbish.

Anyone could do that by packing the Aluminium or etched brass mtk bodyshells with plasticard and then getting the master cast in resin.

He should of got someone like yourself Pete who can at least design a model and get it 3d printed or cast in resin that looks like the real thing.

Its like me saying I am bringing out a Class 321 emu kit cast in resin for £260 for a 4 car unit, then keeping people hanging on a year or two, then its unveiled it turns out to be derived from the old mtk kit, but more expensive than the Bratchell one that's injection moulded and slightly cheaper and missing some accurate underframe parts although the bratchell bodies are quite good, but then again when DC kits did a resin class 150/2 with etched brass window frames just before the Bachmann one came out anyone remember how awful that looked.

I hope this abortion of a kit wont sell at all, then he will probably say to people emu kits don't sell.

Have we not already said all this a few days ago?

I hope they will not be selling them under the DC Kit name at Warley as Charlie's reputation will go through the floor if the model quality is not improved.

Must be on another thread.

Not sure what you are implying with DC Kits or how you even made that connection?

Not sure what you are implying with DC Kits or how you even made that connection

Guy, their advert implies these units (!) will be on sale on Charlie's stand at Warley.

I'd give a lot to know what dear old Colin (MTK) would make of this. Vague notions of copyright occurred to me though that was never exactly Colin's style.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Guy, their advert implies these units (!) will be on sale on Charlie's stand at Warley.

I'd give a lot to know what dear old Colin (MTK) would make of this. Vague notions of copyright occurred to me though that was never exactly Colin's style.

Stu

I think that Colin would be rather pleased that anyone thought his work worth copying.

• Like 1

NNK were still advertising these kits (either the 507 or 508) until Alastair Rolfe passed away about 4-5 years ago, and the range ended up with Phoenix. They presumably own any copyright.

The NNK price list used to mention that he'd had to scrape textured ceiling paint off the photo-tools for the 507.......

I am not implying anything other than DC kits are sharing a stand with him and DC kits did an awful looking class150/2 resin kit just before Bachmann brought its class 150/2 out, im not saying that DC kits had anything to do with this kit other than sharing a stand.

I was putting across that with all the advances in 3d printing ect people nowadays expect much higher standards, I just think its a big joke expecting people to pay that kind of money for something that's been derived from the old Mtk kit from the 80,s.