class 507, 508, 313..

• RMweb Premium

Must be on another thread.

Not sure what you are implying with DC Kits or how you even made that connection?

Hi Guy,

As Stu says.

http://www.southernregionmodels.co.uk/2015/07/news-flash-class-508-emu-kits-4mm-scale-they-will-be-at-this-years-warley-show-on-dc-kits-stand/

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Got to agree I'm afraid, the cabsides look totally wrong to me, and since the yellow wrap-around follows the line of the chamfered cabside, the model will just look odd when painted.  Its a shame, as it could be so much better, and probably with a minimum of effort.  That said, to be fair could I have done better myself?  Probably not, though I'm not claiming to be a professional.  The front windows could to some extent be disguised with black paint if they're too small, but the yellow panel will just spoil the distinctive look of the unit.

On a different note, it always worries me when people take so little care with their advertising.  In just one paragraph on the link above, I see three spelling mistakes - "black beatle", "etche nickle silver", and the former should have capilal letters too.  With due regard to those who struggle with writing - I accept not everyone is perfect (though in that case it would be easy to ask someone to check before you publish it), and I'm sure someone will be along in 30 seconds to tell me I've made a mistake in this post - If I'm going to part with a significant amount of money, an advert full of spelling mistakes just suggests to me a general lack of care, and doesn't fill me with confidence that the model will be any better.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, it's not meant to be, I just get easily irritated by such things!

• Agree 1

• 6 years later...
On 14/02/2022 at 11:14, Wear Valley Wanderer said:

I know this is an old topic, but does anyone know where I can get pics of the underframe detail on a 507 or 508?

I'm currently building a OO model and have bags of bits but no idea where it goes!

Cheers,

Mark

im currently building class 507, i visited Hall road train station to see the underframe detail, but it seems like no two trains have the exact same layout, some of the components are but others, are missing or different all together. in the end i said to myself the next 507 that arrives whatever the layout is im copying that.

A video on Youtube, half hour at Brunswick might help you, just pause the video, the suns from the right direction to show the underframe components. From about 2mins.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steve507 said:

im currently building class 507, i visited Hall road train station to see the underframe detail, but it seems like no two trains have the exact same layout, some of the components are but others, are missing or different all together. in the end i said to myself the next 507 that arrives whatever the layout is im copying that.

A video on Youtube, half hour at Brunswick might help you, just pause the video, the suns from the right direction to show the underframe components. From about 2mins.

Thanks Steve, that's a real help.

I had noticed some of the 507's were different underneath after the facelift. For example there's a large 'box' under the cab opposite the drivers side which I didn't see on the original batch of 507's (As per you pics above). I'm currently working on remaking some of the underframe components which didn't turn out so well from the batch of resin ones I bought originally. I've made up the air tanks so far, both small and large. Last couple of days I've been making a printable cab interior and seating area. Not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. 

One guy mentioned the windows were smoked too, but I don't remember that at all. They quite often mucky, sure, but unless I'm missing something I don't remember the 507's having

brown/smoked glass windows!

By the way, any idea suggestions as to where to get the transfers? I'm going to Fox for the Merseyrail logos, but I don't fancy having to try and line up the numbers on the cab one at a time. My eyesight's not that good. :)

Cheers,

Mark  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wear Valley Wanderer said:

Thanks Steve, that's a real help.

I had noticed some of the 507's were different underneath after the facelift. For example there's a large 'box' under the cab opposite the drivers side which I didn't see on the original batch of 507's (As per you pics above). I'm currently working on remaking some of the underframe components which didn't turn out so well from the batch of resin ones I bought originally. I've made up the air tanks so far, both small and large. Last couple of days I've been making a printable cab interior and seating area. Not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. 

One guy mentioned the windows were smoked too, but I don't remember that at all. They quite often mucky, sure, but unless I'm missing something I don't remember the 507's having

brown/smoked glass windows!

By the way, any idea suggestions as to where to get the transfers? I'm going to Fox for the Merseyrail logos, but I don't fancy having to try and line up the numbers on the cab one at a time. My eyesight's not that good. :)

A box was added beneath the drivers side cab on 313's that houses the aircon equipment, it could be that on the 507's. 

For transfers, may be worth trying Railtec?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Wear Valley Wanderer said:

... but I don't fancy having to try and line up the numbers on the cab one at a time. My eyesight's not that good. :)

Life's too short to be lining up individual numbers, and it'll be quite the challenge to get it looking as good as a one-piece transfer that you can apply in one easy hit. There's an existing item on the Railtec site which I think will give you what you need:

4mm-9091

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2251

Quite a useful customisable item to get most people out of most holes with EMU renumbering. For example other modellers have used it to get them this:

507s.png.b6bd3fd3e2ea43a41f352f5390e6cfea.png

There's a similar parallel offering for 1st gen DMUs, if it helps:

4mm-9090

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3108

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

Life's too short to be lining up individual numbers, and it'll be quite the challenge to get it looking as good as a one-piece transfer that you can apply in one easy hit. There's an existing item on the Railtec site which I think will give you what you need:

4mm-9091

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2251

Quite a useful customisable item to get most people out of most holes with EMU renumbering. For example other modellers have used it to get them this:

507s.png.b6bd3fd3e2ea43a41f352f5390e6cfea.png

There's a similar parallel offering for 1st gen DMUs, if it helps:

4mm-9090

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3108

Just what the doctor ordered. I'll be getting my order in shortly.

Kind Regards,

Mark