Dapol announce 7mm HAA, HEA and VEA at Warley

Andy Y

Is it possible someone can confirm if 7F-048-004 is the HBA with canopy (flame red) as advertised on Hattons site and on the start of this thread, or the HAA with blue cradle as advertised on Antics and Tower Models... #Confused!

I was hoping for the HAA with Blue cradle but also would like the HBA as an extra wagon so planning on getting four wagons to go with the O Gauge Class 60 which I recently purchased.

Edited by HullCityB17

• 3 months later...

Has there been any news since the HAA EP?

Dapol's site says they will be evaluated by the 3rd quarter 2017. I've heard nothing more since this and I expect the cost per wagon will go up again by the time they are finally released (currently £49.95 RRP on Towers site). I have 36 on pre-order and hopefully they wont go up in price.

Years have gone past since they were first annunced and other models seem to have been announced after these and keep getting to production first.

Well I will be cancelling my order as you can buy two Skytrex HAA Kits for the cost of one Dapol HAA, and it would be built a lot quicker than Dapol's model. You probably can also get the HEA cheaper and quicker too!

Edited as I put HAA cheaper instead of both HAA and HEA.

Edited by HullCityB17

I must have missed something somewhere as Tower quotes a new RRP of £54.95 but it was £69.95 when this topic as started over 5 years ago.

The difference between MSRP and the price retailers actually charge?

John

Edit:  Checked Tower, the RRP (or MSRP) is 54.95 and Towers price is 46.75 - kind of in line with what I would expect.

Edited by brossard

With very little research one can see that 'the Chinese factory', is -almost- a single source, an oligopoly/monopoly and somewhat of a bottle neck. According to other information-readily available-Dapol dont appear to be 'cash rich' and may even be highly geared....that slows the process somewhat, as does the number and qty of new models being pushed through the bottle neck, plus QC issues...plus leverage and allegiances within the factory etc etc

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I'm not really in the market for HAAs, my layout won't be big enough and I have no pretext for that sort of traffic.  They do look good though.

Sometimes I can't resist sticking my oar in.

John

Edited by brossard

Do skytrex still sell the HAA it says out of stock on their website. The Dapol price while still irritating by going up is still a little better than making a kit maybe. I think everyone gets sick of this habit by companies of announcing years in advance what they might eventually get round to doing. The usual excuse is that they want to claim the model before someone else does if it was me I wouldn’t announce it until almost ready then steal the advantage on a competitor by claiming all the sales.

• Like 1

I'd like a couple of HEAs, for as I understand it they were more for smaller/'local' coal deliveries, & could be seen in short rakes, or in Speedlink services with other wagons, rather than long blocks as per the HAAs.

Must admit I'd be rather put out by the delay if I wanted 36 of 'em..!!

• Like 2

The skytrex kit was available for about 10 days and is now out of stock.

Paul

I went to the Doncaster show on Sunday and spoke to the chap from Skytrex. He said they were currently out of stock and he is going to be producing more within the next ten days or so as they have been very popular.

He only had a display model if I remember correctly he did mention him saying that he had a slight incident recently and the molds used to create these got damaged.

He then went on to say to a friend of mine about all the other wagons that he is planning on producing. I did ask if this would include the HEA Wagon. This was a possibility but after all the other planned models and also I think the HBA?

Skytrex just said to email them and they will let you know when they are back in stock which I have done. For the buffer heads they advised using drawing pin heads. Then the sacle wheels and couplings are easy to find.

I purchased one at Warley last year and two last month, and only intend having a short rake of four.

I have not built any kits before, but these seem to be one of the easiest to build. I will not have space for a decent rake and neither will my local Model Railway Group.

I have reduced my Dapol order to a sensible size for me. I think two red HAA's and the Blue HAA so I will have two separate rakes for me two Class 60's.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDapol hoppers 2.jpg

At Alexandra Palace today.

Absolutely lovely looking model.   I note however that all have the same current era overhead electric warning sign on the side (I can't see the end to comment on what is printed there).  A quick glance at Paul Bartlett's site reveal these to be era-specific, with the prototype wearing the original, then revised white/red flash, before the current white/yellow warning triangle.  

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely lovely looking model.   I note however that all have the same current era overhead electric warning sign on the side (I can't see the end to comment on what is printed there).  A quick glance at Paul Bartlett's site reveal these to be era-specific, with the prototype wearing the original, then revised white/red flash, before the current white/yellow warning triangle.  

Well I suppose they do say "deco sample" and "deco sample review underway"........so you need to inform them of the issue you spotted, or buy them with the "doctor Who flash" later this year  :D