Dapol announce 7mm HAA, HEA and VEA at Warley

Andy Y

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think the body will need to come off and put some paint on the insides, they may also benefit from a little extra weight whilst the body is off too

The roof pops off so that's the easy option. I agree about the air pipes!

• Informative/Useful 1

Just as an update, I've taken the roof off of one - as Nick G said it just pops off- and sprayed a couple of quick coats of black paint to the inside and it has made a big difference, it also appears to have had a bit of a pre shading effect and has toned the red down a bit, so it's not quite so 'luminous'

Also I've weighed them at 138g so they do seem to be heavy enough and meet the g per mm rule pretty well.

The brake pipes really are undernourished though and as I said would look better on a 4mm model!

20220112_151012_copy_712x832.jpg.e584f6db9ca24075d188ffa0c0b88c63.jpg

Two of the pipes from a VEA next to a Heljan equivalent. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I made a start at weathering one of my nine today I also added some weight. I did consider painting inside to see what difference it makes but haven't done so yet. I am modelling them towards the end of there life so they were quite faded by then.

Progress so far...

VEA-model.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Just as an update, I've taken the roof off of one - as Nick G said it just pops off- and sprayed a couple of quick coats of black paint to the inside and it has made a big difference,

Any photos of how the red looks now that you have painted inside black?

23 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Any photos of how the red looks now that you have painted inside black?

I did try a photo but the camera didn't show the difference very well, but to my eyes it definitely looks better - very quick to do -  a couple of minutes with some masking tape and some paper and 30 seconds with a rattle can

36 minutes ago, 101 said:

I did try a photo but the camera didn't show the difference very well, but to my eyes it definitely looks better - very quick to do -  a couple of minutes with some masking tape and some paper and 30 seconds with a rattle can

OK thanks. I may do one tomorrow.

6 hours ago, 101 said:

Just as an update, I've taken the roof off of one - as Nick G said it just pops off- and sprayed a couple of quick coats of black paint to the inside and it has made a big difference, it also appears to have had a bit of a pre shading effect and has toned the red down a bit, so it's not quite so 'luminous'

If you have the black rattle can out, you might like to check out the door hanging guides at the top of the body sides, quite a number including 230078 and 230117 (as modelled by Dapol) appear to be painted black on Paul Bartletts site

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/vea

Mike

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 101 said:

The brake pipes really are undernourished though and as I said would look better on a 4mm model!

Snip in half and use a piece of outer coating from some electrical wire pushed onto the stumps.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have ordered a couple today, so have been looking at the Paul Bartlett site. It looks like the yellow air pipe was removed early 80s I certainly don't remember seeing twin piped VEAs when I worked at Eastleigh. Also looks like the black painted bufferbeam and lower door runner was more common later in the 80s possibly after some had been in works for overhaul. mid to late 80s wagons seem to have black paint behind the TOPS panel. Plenty of variety for us modellers to tweak our models.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Snip in half and use a piece of outer coating from some electrical wire pushed onto the stumps.

Good thinking

16 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

It looks like the yellow air pipe was removed early 80s I certainly don't remember seeing twin piped VEAs when I worked at Eastleigh. Also looks like the black painted bufferbeam and lower door runner was more common later in the 80s possibly after some had been in works for overhaul. mid to late 80s wagons seem to have black paint behind the TOPS panel.

Yes the Reservoir/yellow pipes were removed  from most types of wagons in the early eighties (can't remember the date) when most freight trains became single piped.

As far as can tell the black backed TOPS panels were applied on the Shildon built vehicles (higher numbers) but they also had a narrower top red band and a different, smaller not stencilled Railfreight panel.

I've been thinking myself about respraying the grey to make one of those.

31 minutes ago, 101 said:

Good thinking

Yes the Reservoir/yellow pipes were removed  from most types of wagons in the early eighties (can't remember the date) when most freight trains became single piped.

As far as can tell the black backed TOPS panels were applied on the Shildon built vehicles (higher numbers) but they also had a narrower top red band and a different, smaller not stencilled Railfreight panel.

I've been thinking myself about respraying the grey to make one of those.

I hadn't noticed the narrower top red band. Might have to do that on some 4mm ones I haven't finished yet.

Cheers Peter.

Done a bit more on one of my VEA's. Even though I have changed the Railfreight branding to the non stencilled version I am not happy, its to big and not straight. I will change it again for something smaller.

IMG_8847.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Courtybella said:

A closer look at the vans….there’s a need for a history update and some clarification - the was filmed before people really drilled down into the vans.

I’ll be respraying the red, and doing the other bits people have mentioned.

I know about the red being coloured plastic but what are other bits that need doing to improve them?

16 minutes ago, Courtybella said:

Picking out the white hand rails, and handles, silver on the buffers vice black, new pipes and removal of one, added weight.

Ah right, done all that except for improving/replacing the air pipe.