Heljan announce 4mm LNER O2, Class 05 Shunter and Class 26 'as-built' at Warley

Andy Y

Heljan have announced at Warley that they will produce the following items in their 2013/4 programme.

Gresley O2 LNER/BR 2-8-0 - developments to include variants

BR Class 05 0-6-0 Shunter

BRC&W BR Class 26 in as-built form.

Poster_Warley.jpg

O2 image courtesy of Keith Pirt collection c/o Book Law publications.

• RMweb Premium

I'm very pleased to see the Hunslet 05, nice compact early diesel shunter and one of them lasted until 1977 1983 on Isle of Wight in engineering stock, so good scope for different liveries.

Well done Heljan!

regards

Paul

Edited to correct withdrawal date

• RMweb Premium

It's welcome news for those modelling the southern end of the ECML.

Great choices for production, with the 05s, one can also model the solitary Isle of Wight-based loco.

The LNER O2 also complements Bachmann's and Hornby's efforts and who knows a certain retailer might commission a model of the lone LNER U1 Garratt as it used some of the motion from the O2 ...

http://www.lner.info/locos/U/u1.shtml

• RMweb Premium

I thought Bachmann had also announced an 05 shunter?

I'd not heard that, but maybe they're doing the later version? Not quite as simple as a different cab on the Heljan body as the later series had bigger wheels too.

• RMweb Gold

I'd not heard that, but maybe they're doing the later version? Not quite as simple as a different cab on the Heljan body as the later series had bigger wheels too.

I must have imagined it as I cant find it on the web, but I could have sworn they had said they would at the time they had announced the new 03.....

Great news for modellers of things LNER. I will admit I had wished Hornby were producing an O2 instead of the O1, generally as the O2s were work horses of the ECML. Doncaster had a large allocation which used to work into York.....so I'll be having a couple! :D

• RMweb Premium

Class 05 is an interesting choice. Modern image modellers might not be aware this was once a fair-sized type many of which went on into industrial service. Only D2554 (later 05001) had an extended career with BR as it was sent to Sandown as the IoW engineer's loco after steam was withdrawn.

Guest Max Stafford

Some good choices there and an early 5300 is very useful to this man. With the selection of the O2, the manufacturers have no further obstruction to their view northwards in search of goods engines. :-)

I wonder if the ScR version of the 05 is catered for here. Time to check.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I'm very pleased to see the Hunslet 05, nice compact early diesel shunter and one of them lasted until 1977 on Isle of Wight in engineering stock, so good scope for different liveries.

Well done Heljan!

regards

Paul

Hi

It's was a bit later than 77 as I went in 81 and it was still there then. I think it may have gone by 83.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi

It's was a bit later than 77 as I went in 81 and it was still there then. I think it may have gone by 83.

Cheers

Paul

Yes, you're quite right, I misread the Ian Allan book I was quoting, it was photographed in 1977, finally withdrawn in 1983 and replaced by an 03.

Regards

Paul

Any idea what numbers/liveries the 05s will have? There aren't many diesels old enough to have sported the early BR emblem, but the 05 is one of them. It would be nice to have that as an option, just so that I can have a little extra variety on the layout.

You will have to watch out for the actual loco Heljan model. If they produce the one in their publicity photo you can not model the very early ones D2550-2557.

Here's why.

D2550 to D2553 have a lower bonnet height than the later ones. They also had 10 small manholes on the top of the bonnet.

D2554 – D2557 also have a lower bonnet height but only have 2 manhole covers on the top of the bonnet.

D2558 - D2573 The bonnet on these loco's was a couple of inches taller to accomodate a larger fuel tank still with 2 manhole covers. This is given away by the position of the Hunslet plate on the bonnet front which has a large gap to the top of the bonnet.

The above info has been gleaned by trawling through many photo's and notes in conjunction with the restoration of D2578.

Still nice to see an unusual shunt loco being produced by a major manufacturer. Now if they want to model a Scottish version of the Hunslet it just so happens I can lay my hands on one, (they had a few detail differences to the later NE ones).

Paul J.

post-7146-0-48512500-1353781620_thumb.jpg

A propos of nothing much, I was advised there will be new batches of Claytons in the three popular liveries next year. Apart from shop stock, there are no more of these sloshing around - amazingly this model seems capable of holding its own, and its price, on the High Street.

In the cabinet, the early body style Baby D looked extremely pretty, and the Beyer Garrett frankly overwhelming - but I'm looking forward to seeing this put to good use on exhibition layouts large enough, maybe next year.

O gauge Class 40 also looked thrilling - with a real sense of presence and heft about it.

Hey - you all know by now I'm a Heljan fan within reason - there are a few bargain 15s, 26s and 27s to be had, from shop-soiled box stock, plus 33s, 23s, 47s and even the odd Co-Bo. Ask at the stand: these are a helpful and very pleasant crew.

I agree with you about the Baby D Chard, its looking impressi ve. Even more impressive though was the Class 16 they have captured the look of the class very well indeed, which is a challenge due to the number of grills and grab handles. Very happy with the Class 26 & 05 announcements as well.

• RMweb Gold

Well done Heljan on selecting these three.

I think the obscure diesel shunter will reap good dividends, having been a 1970s spotter and travelled to far off outposts as Ryde IOW and Holyhead for the 05/01s, good choice.

The entry into the steam outline models is good market sense, There is far more operational space here, although I was hoping for a quantum leap into first gen DMUs following the development of the 128.

Neil

Archived