Heljan announce 4mm LNER O2, Class 05 Shunter and Class 26 'as-built' at Warley

Andy Y

Was he considering the Hornby R2227 LNER 06 otherwise known as a LMS 8F. These were precured during the war years and sent back afterwards. I have one of these and they run very nicely.

So that would make 01, 02, 04 & 06.

Mark

Was he considering the Hornby R2227 LNER 06 otherwise known as a LMS 8F. These were precured during the war years and sent back afterwards. I have one of these and they run very nicely.

So that would make 01, 02, 04 & 06.

Mark

Not forgetting the WD 2-8-0, otherwise known as LNER class O7. Stretching things a bit, I know, but I suppose that makes five: 01, 02, 04, 06 & 07.

Hello all,

now that we have four eight coupled L.N.E.R. locos, (discounting the 8F and W.D.) could any of the frames be used for any of the L.N.E.R. eight coupled tanks?

OzzyO.

We've got 4 eight coupled LNER engines and still no one has done the one that matters most - a Q6!

Four eight-coupled LNER types? O1, O2, O4; that's three. Do you lot know something I don't?

Dave.

Hello all,

I think that it should have been three L.N.E.R. eight coupled locos as I was not counting the L.M.S. 8F or the W.D. But I think that I may have counted the '05' I'm now going to stand in the corner for a few hours. Sorry about the miscount.

OzzyO.

PS. in my defence I don't model 4mm.

• RMweb Premium

I now need to finish my A1 05, not a good kit but looks like an 05 even if I have to keep making air tanks up and bothering IOWSR members for photos (thankyou).

I would have only bought an 05 in BR blue anyway.

I think you will find that the O1 was a financially viable project as parts for this locomotive and their B1 & B17 were identical and therefore appeased the accountants and the "Doubting Thomas" of a C.E.O at the time it was first announced.

Anyway I think they have done a very good job of it and I hope/think it will sell.As they have with their B1 & B17.

Come on guys credit where credits due.

I know that the real-life B1 design was clearly developed from the B17, with a boiler the same size but different in details, that the O1 was equipped with a B1 boiler, a taller version of the B1 cab, plus B1 cylinders and motion, also that some B17s in later life had B1 boilers, but as produced for the models how many of the parts are actually identical????

• RMweb Premium

I know that the real-life B1 design was clearly developed from the B17, with a boiler the same size but different in details, that the O1 was equipped with a B1 boiler, a taller version of the B1 cab, plus B1 cylinders and motion, also that some B17s in later life had B1 boilers, but as produced for the models how many of the parts are actually identical????

My thoughts exactly (possibly the cylinder mouldings might be common to both the O1 and B1 models), hence my comment on the 'other' thread; whereas if Hornby had made an O2 they could have used the same tender as the 'Footballer' for one variant at least, and produced a loco which was used over a much longer period, with more potential for variations and different liveries. Instead, they've had to tool up a new GC tender with probably not much prospect of using it for anything else as Bachmann seem to have nicely cornered that market.

Very few I suspect, especially with modern production. We demand accuracy, so each loco will we tooled up anew. The real-life components (eg boiler) do not relate to model components.

Stewart

I just hope the 05 shunter doesn't have the horrible shiny external copper pickups to the wheels that (for me anyway) completely ruined the initial Hattons Class 14 releases. Even though they were blackened in later releases, surely a more elegant pickup design should be possible ...

Next time you're choosing to adopt a needlessly derogatory stance please also choose not to post comments like that here.

Well said Andy,

Today we are so lucky to have multiple manufacturers who keep bringing out such wonderful models. as an LNER nut I'm chuffed to see an 02 & early class 26 as both will fit my layout perfectly. Thanks also to Hornby for their 01 which I managed to get at Warley, super model. When I look back to my Hornby Dublo days I just wish I could have had the choice & detail I have now.

I just hope the 05 shunter doesn't have the horrible shiny external copper pickups to the wheels that (for me anyway) completely ruined the initial Hattons Class 14 releases and, even though they were blackened in later releases, have stopped me from buying any so far ...

Why? It's not that hard to cover if you don't like it :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts exactly (possibly the cylinder mouldings might be common to both the O1 and B1 models), hence my comment on the 'other' thread; whereas if Hornby had made an O2 they could have used the same tender as the 'Footballer' for one variant at least, and produced a loco which was used over a much longer period, with more potential for variations and different liveries. Instead, they've had to tool up a new GC tender with probably not much prospect of using it for anything else as Bachmann seem to have nicely cornered that market.

Just thinking about what I posted earlier (in haste & without too much consideration), I hope that didn't come across as sounding churlish and ungrateful - of course when Heljan's plans come to fruition we will have benfitted from O2 from them AND an O1 from Hornby as well; it was just the way the thought struck me. And maybe Hornby are thinking more steps ahead than we may think, and planning an upgraded D49, using the GC tender for a 'Morayshire'!

I wonder whether anybody will ever do one of these 'Tangos'?

post-31-0-88101600-1354144278.jpg

Why? It's not that hard to cover if you don't like it :scratchhead:

Why? - because the 03 & 04 from Bachmann, the 08 from Hornby seemed to manage a rather more elegant (ie hidden) pick-ups from the wheels! I'd prefer to leave my "modelling" time for much better things in 2012 than hiding visible pickups ......... :O

I tried to explain to the couple of Heljan guys I spoke to at Warley that they had the potential to do the Gresley O1 as well, with best potential for economy if this was planned for on the tooling.My guess from their response is that the project is at the scoping stage, no detailed planning; but the response was that they would like to maximise the possible variations, subject to the usual affordability constraints.

Hi Graeme,

Don't forget that there is significant time, effort and cost involved in creating the virtual 3D model of the locomotive. Even if the physical components are not common the end point for a complete CAD design of an O1 or B17 is significantly nearer if you already have the B1 in the library.

Cheers....Morgan

Archived