Heljan announce 4mm LNER O2, Class 05 Shunter and Class 26 'as-built' at Warley

Andy Y

Did anybody see a Falcon model in Lime Green with small yellows?

Yes it is cat no. 5307 and will be out fairly soon. It represents Falcon in its last few weeks on the Eastern in 1963. It spent most of this time stored at Hornsey because one engine had failed in a major fashion. Finsbury Park had painted the yellow panel some months previously to it being sent back to Brush. I remember seeing it in this condition stored in the back of Hornsey shed during late 1963. I do have a photo of it at Brush works stored out of use in this condition and I do believe it is on a Flickr site but I can't remember who's it is.Just Google D0280 Falcon and there is a whole range of good images available. The one I am referring to shows it parked on the test track with the orange works shunter.

Whoops, pushed the go button too soon. There are now just two numerous and reasonably long lived and well distributed classes of eight coupled goods without models: Austin 7 and the Q6. Given the obvious need all the manufacturers have to find entirely new subjects I shall be amazed if both don't get a RTR model in the next five years. Same for the many 0-6-0 types that are sorely needed to round out the light and medium freight picture. All on the asumption that sufficient of us continue to pony up...

...now that we have four eight coupled L.N.E.R. locos, (discounting the 8F and W.D.) could any of the frames be used for any of the L.N.E.R. eight coupled tanks?...

The 8K / ROD / O4 is the prime candidate. Gorton developed this loco from what became LNER Q4 0-8-0. Their own tank engine version of the Q4 is the LNER S1 0-8-4T humper, and then Thompson used Q4's to produce his Q1 0-8-0T.

• RMweb Gold

We've got 4 eight coupled LNER engines and still no one has done the one that matters most - a Q6!

I do find this rather strange but - possibly Heljan apart - it looks as if the synergy of deciding to make an LNER 8 coupled loco was passing through the minds of Bachmann and Hornby at vaguely similar times or that Hornby were quick enough to jump on Bachmann's 2-8-0 'bus' before it had vanished over the horizon. Net result - very good for those looking at the middle of the LNER (i.e. GN/GC land) but still the yawning chasm further north.

However having said that the other side of the coin is that the manufacturers should be applauded for turning their attention to a whole host of 8 coupled designs which I hope will all be successful and this encourage further developments.

I do find this rather strange but - possibly Heljan apart - it looks as if the synergy of deciding to make an LNER 8 coupled loco was passing through the minds of Bachmann and Hornby at vaguely similar times or that Hornby were quick enough to jump on Bachmann's 2-8-0 'bus' before it had vanished over the horizon. Net result - very good for those looking at the middle of the LNER (i.e. GN/GC land) but still the yawning chasm further north.

However having said that the other side of the coin is that the manufacturers should be applauded for turning their attention to a whole host of 8 coupled designs which I hope will all be successful and this encourage further developments.

I totally agree, but the irronic thing about all this is that all the manufacturers want to start modelling freight for the sector. The place where most freight was shifted was the north east area, with the Durham coal field, and Steel traffic for teesside and Consett, plus other flows generating far more work than other areas by comparrison. My worry is that given these engines are made, that attention will turn to other regions again, in the knowledge that the LNER have had their lot. Thats great for the southern areas of the network, but for the real possibility of modelling where all the action was the total amount of stuff you can use to do it is summed up in a great northern word.

Theres 'nowt'.

The eight-coupled LNER produced so far were what might be termed 'standard classes' and got around the system quite a bit as well as onto other regions. The Q6 is maybe thought to be a North Eastern Region beastie becasue of it's life in BR days. They in fact got around quite a bit in the 1920s working over Woodhead into Manchester for example, although the 1930s depression reduced their sphere of operation a bit. During the war they had appeared at Peterborough and after the war they were even found on the Cheshire Lines in the northwich and Liverpool areas. Nonetheless, from around 1947 onwards they were in County Durham or on adjacent Tees-side. Two went to Kirkby Stephen for a month before a serious derailment put the back north of the Pennines.

All this was gleaned from Locomotives of the LNER Part 6C. Seeing as one is preserved and a regular performer, I am sure one is bound to be produced before long. I just hope the LMS Austin Seven beats it out of the stocks though..... :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

The eight-coupled LNER produced so far were what might be termed 'standard classes' and got around the system quite a bit as well as onto other regions. The Q6 is maybe thought to be a North Eastern Region beastie becasue of it's life in BR days. They in fact got around quite a bit in the 1920s working over Woodhead into Manchester for example, although the 1930s depression reduced their sphere of operation a bit. During the war they had appeared at Peterborough and after the war they were even found on the Cheshire Lines in the northwich and Liverpool areas. Nonetheless, from around 1947 onwards they were in County Durham or on adjacent Tees-side. Two went to Kirkby Stephen for a month before a serious derailment put the back north of the Pennines.

All this was gleaned from Locomotives of the LNER Part 6C. Seeing as one is preserved and a regular performer, I am sure one is bound to be produced before long. I just hope the LMS Austin Seven beats it out of the stocks though..... :biggrin_mini2:

And of course both will follow the GW 'Aberdare' - now Bachmann are into outside frames a 6 coupled version should be a doddle for them :sungum: But seriously I wonder how long it will be before we start counting which large freight locos aren't being produced?

... My worry is that given these engines are made, that attention will turn to other regions again, in the knowledge that the LNER have had their lot...

I am inclined to be more optimistic. There's the hint of a Northward exploration emerging over the past five years in RTR. Class 17, O4, D11, the announced J11 and Lanky tank, the O1, the announced class 29/21, class 28, EM1 and EM2. If this proves to sell well enough there will be the possibility of more.

It is no secret that the goldmine down South is fairly mature as a market. Many of both the larger and glamorous, and smaller 'cult' popular items, have models or announcements. No chance for Hornby or anyone else to repeat the flood of sales generated by Bulleid pacifics/Arthurs/Schools/T9s, and it remains to be seen what legs the EMUs have really got, now there are a few models out there. The GWR has been done to death, the main lines of the LMS and LNER systems and the central Midlands are looking better every day: it is time to look further afield. I feel that East Anglia is one inviting prospect, and 'The North' is just one big open goal. Any signal of good sales and the manufacturers will show they can dogpile just as much as online forum contributors...

Hello all,

now that we have four eight coupled L.N.E.R. locos, (discounting the 8F and W.D.) could any of the frames be used for any of the L.N.E.R. eight coupled tanks?

OzzyO.

The O4 can also be used for the S1 Wath Daisy, an absolute beast of a tank engine, I've recently bought a couple of the cheap O4s with a view to nicking the chassis for one of these, it's on the 'to do list' as a 3d print. Admitedly they had a limited operational area, but I've always wanted one, and when you can currently get an O4 for £72.......

The Q6 could also could be found in the West Riding in BR days, with some allocated to Neville Hill I believe.

The Q6 could also could be found in the West Riding in BR days, with some allocated to Neville Hill I believe.

That'll teach me to read right to the end of a chapter. They were indeed and utilised on colliery workings. In slack periods they worked diagrams from there to York, but the thing of interest to me was 63426 breaking new ground by working to Huddersfield to take a special goods back to Neville Hill. Okay, this was in June 1966, but its close enough to have a beast continuing over Standedge in 1953!

O2, what an excelent choice. Just the loco Hornby should have annouced instead of that rediculous O1.

I think you will find that the O1 was a financially viable project as parts for this locomotive and their B1 & B17 were identical and therefore appeased the accountants and the "Doubting Thomas" of a C.E.O at the time it was first announced.

Anyway I think they have done a very good job of it and I hope/think it will sell.As they have with their B1 & B17.

Come on guys credit where credits due.

I'm very happy about the O2, it fills in a big gap for me as an LNER-era ECML (Southern section) enthusiast.

Also, is this Heljan's first British-outline steam loco? Not sure if they've done any on commission for retailers, but I believe this is the first one they've paid for themselves, at least (if that makes sense!).

Seems bit quiet the 2013/14 program, be interesting to see Heljans' first steam engine model to see how they handle steam

NL

Seems bit quiet the 2013/14 program, be interesting to see Heljans' first steam engine model to see how they handle steam

NL

i

This is not Heljan's first foray into steam outline models as they have been producing for the Scandinavian market for a good many years, coupled with Hatton's commisioned model of the Beyer-Garrett, which has test run very well and once released will be a stunner, at a reasonable cost.

The 'Tango' project has not been taken on board lightly, a great deal of research already having been carried out, nor will it be rushed for the sake of compromise on accuracy, cost or production slots, the go button will be pressed by the 'experts' who have kindly agreed to lend a hand, when they are satisfied it is good and ready.

I think it is fair to say that everybody wants this to be a good model and all feedback received is being noted. we are currently working on what versions to do first as there will be variations within each which means duplication of certain main components.

Stay with us we are getting there!

Archived