Heljan announce 4mm LNER O2, Class 05 Shunter and Class 26 'as-built' at Warley

Andy Y

A true enough point Morgan and I had considered that the shared R & D might be the real saving due to developing the three locos in parallel. It was the assertion that "parts were identical", without specifying prototype or model, that struck me as overly simplistic and consequently unconvincing.

• RMweb Premium

Do tell us more about that proper O1 please Steve. Whose is it and what are its origins? A conversion to O1 from an O2 of some kind has been on my "to do" list for some time.

Hi gr., sorry that was a bit of a tease, putting that picture up! A friend scratch built the O1 for me some years ago. I did the mechanism myself however, using a Comet 8F chassis kit and there is a lot in common between the two classes beneath the running plate - from memory, I had to alter the pony truck pivot point, and reverse the brake shoes so that they act on the rear rather than the front of the driving wheels, but both drive on the third axle and have 'two bar' slidebars, unlike later Gresley locos.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully the Heljan 05 will be followed by a Bachmann 06, then thats (prettty much) all the TOPs era shunters done in 4mm, unless you

include class 13's. Just hope that they do a better job on the Hunslet than the class14, which I see is now (unsurprisingly) going cheap

on Hattons. The early series 05's are a good choice by Heljan as they had spells in East Anglia as well as the North West, which gives

the modeller that all important license...the later ones had bigger wheels and taller cabs tho, so conversion would be quite messy

if you wanted a Scottish or an NE region one.

Hopefully the Heljan 05 will be followed by a Bachmann 06, then thats (prettty much) all the TOPs era shunters done in 4mm, unless you

include class 13's. Just hope that they do a better job on the Hunslet than the class14, which I see is now (unsurprisingly) going cheap

on Hattons. 

Considering a lone example of 05 lasted to TOPS, and on the IoW into the bargain, I think it's safe to say the Holyhead Breakwater 01 duo would be relevant to this analysis, the cluster of 02s that lasted into TOPS around Liverpool, and did I blink and miss the Southampton Docks luggers, the 07s?

As for the 14, these are reduced (not all models), but hardly excessively so, and they have been around for a good few years, so hardly a flop!

Just hope that they do a better job on the Hunslet than the class14, which I see is now (unsurprisingly) going cheap

on Hattons.

Hattons are on their second batch of Class 14s. It perhas not suprising that they have discounted some of these (but not by as much as other models) but given that the first batch sold out I think it's been quite a sucessful project. There are some issues with the Heljan Class 14 but then there are issues with just about everything Heljan do.

• RMweb Gold

There are still a large number of small diesel shunters yet to do RTR.

Post TOPS this includes 01,02,06,07,10,11,12,13, and the WR PWM machines, the cut down cabs were 03s, one D2382 ended up in Bristol.

However the mass cull of small "non-standard" shunters in 1967 resulted in a lot being moved into industrial service, and lasted for a significant period. There are a very significant number of these types and would fit nicely onto a transition period layout.

I for one am pleased to see Heljan tackle the 05- the shape of things to come?

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I dare the Class 13s will be done by somebody whether retailer or manufacturer as the options for new 4mm diesels diminishes.   

Have the cut down cab south wales shunters been done?  What were they now, 08's?

08 991-5 used on the BPGV, height 11' 958" instead of 12' 858" (according to wiki)

The early series 05's are a good choice by Heljan as they had spells in East Anglia as well as the North West, which gives

the modeller that all important license

At least 2 of the early series 05's' (D2556 & D2569) made it to Scotland.

the cut down cabs were 03s, one D2382 ended up in Bristol.

Other way around I'm afraid. As 03382 this loco was the last 03 in green on BR and went into Blue in 1980 and then was cut down a couple of years later for use on the BPG&V.

Paul J.

• 3 weeks later...

Model Rail has reported that the Hunslet shunter is to be produced firstly as the later version with the higher cab and larger wheels! This is great news for us Scottish region modellers. Over forty of these were built originally compared to 24 of the original version so i suppose Heljan have gone for the more prolific version.

Model Rail has reported that the Hunslet shunter is to be produced firstly as the later version with the higher cab and larger wheels! This is great news for us Scottish region modellers. Over forty of these were built originally compared to 24 of the original version so i suppose Heljan have gone for the more prolific version.

Unfortunately this is not the version that ended up on the IOW as 05001.

on Hattons. The early series 05's are a good choice by Heljan as they had spells in East Anglia as well as the North West, which gives

the modeller that all important license...the later ones had bigger wheels and taller cabs tho, so conversion would be quite messy

if you wanted a Scottish or an NE region one.

Bachmann could actually go both ways - a genuine British Railways diesel shunt engine, and an industrial.

My personal preference would be an RTR Yorkshire DE2 like Arthur is building for BCB, or one of these ;

http://www.locos-sbsr.co.uk/images/preserved/chasewater_railway/jpg/22956.jpg

But to compete in the industrial diesel market Bachmann really might be better doing one of these in industrial and BR liveries ;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertsbite/3360681828/

Bachmann could actually go both ways - a genuine British Railways diesel shunt engine, and an industrial.

My personal preference would be an RTR Yorkshire DE2 like Arthur is building for BCB, or one of these ;

http://www.locos-sbsr.co.uk/images/preserved/chasewater_railway/jpg/22956.jpg

But to compete in the industrial diesel market Bachmann really might be better doing one of these in industrial and BR liveries ;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertsbite/3360681828/

Well there might be a clue in that there is a 0-4-0 NBL on the 2013 calender

Strange as this contradicts the announcement poster, have Heljan changed the version to be produced?

It is the intention to produce all the 05 variants and the poster on display at Warley depicted one of these. The posters for the Gresley O2 2-8-0 also showed one of many variations planned.

The posters for the Gresley O2 2-8-0 also showed one of many variations planned.

On the subject of the O2 Tony Wright has provided some excellent reference material here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/page-7?&p=921548 to illustrate the minefield that you'll be negotiating!

Wow! These are glorious days for ER/ScR/NER people modelling in 1962...

O1s, O2s, Baby Deltics, B1s, L1s, a fantastic array of shunters, DMUs and other diesels, plenty of A4s to choose from, A3...

The list seems to go on forever (well, in BR/LNER modelling terms anyway...)

Archived