Plymouth Cattewater branch.

Also posted in the 'Railways of Devon' SI section (Railways of Plymouth)

A few snaps taken about 10 years ago of the track near the entrance area of the Cattewater bitumen depot.

The tanks were usually shunted down the branch with an 08 and collected by the bitumen loco at the gates. I understand that class 66s made a few appearances on this dodgy track. It would have been interesting to see that.

The depot has closed and I believe that the track has now been removed.

I have a few more of the depot and locos if anyone would like to see them.

I would love to create some 4mm trackwork like this but would no doubt be a disaster!

post-6728-0-43753500-1353572049_thumb.jpg

Note the tie bars to keep it to gauge.

post-6728-0-68575500-1353572095_thumb.jpg

Looking towards the tunnel.

post-6728-0-88709200-1353572123_thumb.jpg

Check out the checkrail gap. Definitely not to P4 standard!

post-6728-0-38109600-1353572238_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-57257100-1353572312_thumb.jpg

I like the standard/ broad (7ft) gauge track at the far end, got any pics of that John. Brian

• Like 1

This was certainly a fascinating area to explore. There is an interesting picture looking across the Esso depot and Plymouth Tar Works c.1952 in 'Steam Around Plymouth' (page 120) by Bernard Mills (Tempus Publishing Limited, 2003) which really brings home how much has vanished.
Howard

Edited by HSB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was involved in the major upgrade of that line about 5 or 6 years ago. We renewed all the rail from the boat yard area, about half a mile before Cattedown itself and renewed most of the S&C in the sidings inside the terminal, not to mention several hundred sleepers that were changed between there and Friary yard. We even dug out that road crossing to renew the sleepers and rails through it with new tarmac. Not 2 years after all that work and money, the line was shut for good and lifted. Indeed some of the guys that carried out those renewals were also instrumental in ripping it out although not me on that occasion!

A great shame IMO.

This is a picture i took on my phone on its penultimate day of existance looking toward the road crossing from the direction of the boat yard.

post-299-0-91329100-1353700800_thumb.jpg

By dinner time that day, it had gone.

Looking towards the boat yard.

post-299-0-00362400-1353700930_thumb.jpg

Both taken on 10-2-2010.

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

One tiny positive outcome of its demise was that 2 of the crossing booms and pedestals from the Shapters Way crossing were donated to the Life Centre in Bodmin. They were used to reproduce an indoor railway crossing to edjucate school children on the evils of crossing mis-use and railway tresspass dangers.

• Like 3

I like the standard/ broad (7ft) gauge track at the far end, got any pics of that John. Brian

Brian,

I don't think there was any broad gauge down there as the Cattewater branch was L &S W R not G W although it was dual gauge where it passed under the Laira bridge, due to the reduced clearance it was interlaced with the 4'6" Plymouth & Dartmoor (later Lee Moor Tramway) which terminated on the quayside adjacent to the bridge.

Some time ago there were photographs in, I think, Railway Bylines of mixed gauge track on the corner of the dock but that was crane track not real railway as we know it. To the best of my knowledge that is still in situ but under the present concrete.

There is a short length (about two feet) of original mixed gauge quayside track still on the Barbican but it is normally covered by cars, if you go to the marina original wooden pier then return northwards about fifty feet towards the harbour office there is a turnout in the cobbles, adjacent to the crossing nose you will find the extra rail.

Wally

• Like 1

Brian,

I don't think there was any broad gauge down there as the Cattewater branch was L &S W R not G W although it was dual gauge where it passed under the Laira bridge, due to the reduced clearance it was interlaced with the 4'6" Plymouth & Dartmoor (later Lee Moor Tramway) which terminated on the quayside adjacent to the bridge.

Some time ago there were photographs in, I think, Railway Bylines of mixed gauge track on the corner of the dock but that was crane track not real railway as we know it. To the best of my knowledge that is still in situ but under the present concrete.

There is a short length (about two feet) of original mixed gauge quayside track still on the Barbican but it is normally covered by cars, if you go to the marina original wooden pier then return northwards about fifty feet towards the harbour office there is a turnout in the cobbles, adjacent to the crossing nose you will find the extra rail.

Wally

Yes it was the crane trackage I was naughtily referring to. Still fascinating stuff and no less modelable, I have some pics from 20 or so yonks ago, Brian

• 4 weeks later...

The last few snaps of end part of the Cattewater Branch. This time some images of the bitumen depot and 'Cattewater' Sentinel shunter OOU at the end of a siding.

This has been preserved and restored (at East Somerset Rly) and somewhat surprisingly on the Hornby 'new' list.

The snaps show the weathering and drip stains of the bitumen tanks (TTAs?) and concrete weathering.

To create these tanks are there some 'conversion' bits available for the Bach TTA or would it be an incorrect base wagon?

attachicon.gifimg019a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg020a.jpg

Shows a good weathering effect for old concrete. These tracks did extend to Sutton Harbour but had stop blocks closing them off. Don't know if any of these still exist. I suspect that they've gone under the new harbour development.

attachicon.gifimg021a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg022a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg023a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg024a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg025a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg026a.jpg

Pics of these loks are here http://www.eastsomersetrailway.com/gallery.php?gid=294

Will be buying one these of course!

attachicon.gifHornby Cattewater lok.jpg

Wheelbase looks short compared to your proto photo above, Brian

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I've been thinking that too, Brian. I think they have used an existing power bogie - that looks like a continental style coupling at the short bonnet end.

Still, a useful addition for many who aren't confident at kit building.

I really like those Cattewater photos, great inspiration for a layout, cliffs at the back, water at the front. Hmmmm....

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wheelbase looks short compared to your proto photo above, Brian

I was waiting to see who spotted that!

On reflexion we were very lucky to go on that Saturday morning to find some shunting going on. Very shortly after that it all came to an end.

• Like 2

I found the images of the depot look pretty interesting.

Also interesting, looking at both Bing.com & Google Maps images of the area, all views seem to show the depot in full operation - long rakes of tanks on the sidings, numbers of tanker trucks at the racks, and so on. Now, I was reading in the "Changing Face of Plymouth" thread that this facility (along with the Marsh Mills clayworks loading facility) had closed in 2008, so clearly those aerial views are way out of date.

The questions I have are: Why did the Esso Bitumen Depot close in the first place? Seemed like a busy facility from the views. I didn't read any reason in either thread so far? Also, is Bitumen the same as Asphalt, the near universal road paving material around here in NY? You'd think there would still be a need for that. Finally, why did the Marsh Mills clay works stop loading? According to the Face of Plymouth thread, that and the Esso Bitumen facility shut down killed traffic on the branch (excluding a scrapyard, which apparently loaded wagons right on the single track of the branch...)

Edited by Sir Ray
  • Like 1

Thanks for the photos- always intended to explore this when I was down there- used to go over the Shapter's Way crossing quite often. Then one day it wasn't there any more :umbrage:

Considering the amount of railway that used to be around the centre of Plymouth, there's not only much left but often very little sign it was ever there. I've only just managed to work out where Millbay was! Had heard it mentioned but never thought to look, turns out it was where I sat my finals... Took me a while to work out I lived within what would have been earshot of Friary as well!