Plymouth Cattewater branch.

The premise was in by boat, out by rail - no lorries! But unless the good Cap'n can work miracles, too late now!Brian.

The info in the local media suggests much of it is destined for Plymouth and the south west, which would suggest otherwise.

Where is this cement coming from, and where is its final destination?

• RMweb Gold

The info in the local media suggests much of it is destined for Plymouth and the south west, which would suggest otherwise.

Where is this cement coming from, and where is its final destination?

Judging by what can be seen on AIS it could well be Spain as Spanish registered cement ships are regulars off the UK coast.

The cement silos are to be built (if planning goes through) on Howard Quay, not Victoria Wharfs (although Howard quay is owned by Victoria wharfs ltd!?!) - the rail connection is still there but from what the planning says it will be road served

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

An article yesterday in the Plymouth Herald about "Ghost Trains" being seen on the branch. 

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/history/gallery/abandoned-train-track-5566096?fbclid=IwAR0hmSJPlhz4x1b1CKhKEb0HC-xOb3QQYURR_5WoIcvWIQK_q1ps1Ho8Qio

Is there still some activity with just part of it still in regular/irregular use?

The article mentions that a train with approximately 20 "Oil carriages" (!)  was seen near Tothill Park.

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 1

Surely there was nothing past the scrap yard where Cl.66s were the last to visit a while back?  Also there is a video with a Bubble car or something which went as far as it could!  All over now!

As to fairs, both Anderton and Rowlands and Whiteleggs fairs used to come to Tothill Park years ago.  See the trains from the dodgems:)

Brian.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Surely there was nothing past the scrap yard where Cl.66s were the last to visit a while back?  Also there is a video with a Bubble car or something which went as far as it could!  All over now!

As to fairs, both Anderton and Rowlands and Whiteleggs fairs used to come to Tothill Park years ago.  See the trains from the dodgems:)

Brian.   

Whiteleggs used to go up the back of Home Park too Brian. My late mum had some connection to the Whiteleggs; might have been Rosy the mother?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, highpeakman said:

An article yesterday in the Plymouth Herald about "Ghost Trains" being seen on the branch. 

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/history/gallery/abandoned-train-track-5566096?fbclid=IwAR0hmSJPlhz4x1b1CKhKEb0HC-xOb3QQYURR_5WoIcvWIQK_q1ps1Ho8Qio

Is there still some activity with just part of it still in regular/irregular use?

The article mentions that a train with approximately 20 "Oil carriages" (!)  was seen near Tothill Park.

Highly unlikely there were any tanks down there, certainly nothing stabled long term up there so sounds dubious to me.

The only time road into Plymouth Friary has been used in past 10 years or so is on occasional driver training ECS moves, often with a sprinter unit or the 08 pilot. 

Was supposed to be a tour to Cattewater in 2013 however it got caped I believe, and since 2012 I don't think anything has reached Laira Bridge on the Cattewater line. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a suggestion from a ex-railwayman whose knowledge of the area I respect that it could have been a weedkilling train.

" Probably a planned thing, 'just in case' pigs fly and someone decides to run freight down there again!"  Seems logical to me!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I had a wasted trip to the sorting office at Billacombe and I had a look at the track as I crossed Laira bridge, there was no sign that any trains had run on that section of line in ages. I was stopped at the lights which gave me time to have a good look at the line to the scrap metal yard.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Yesterday I had a wasted trip to the sorting office at Billacombe and I had a look at the track as I crossed Laira bridge, there was no sign that any trains had run on that section of line in ages. I was stopped at the lights which gave me time to have a good look at the line to the scrap metal yard.

I don't know the area at all so this probably has little value but the report seemed to suggest the "train", if indeed there was ever a train, was seen near Tothill park. Looking at Google maps it seems that a train could have got to that point perhaps without going down to Laira Bridge (which would have required a reversal). I have no idea though why it would do so and, I repeat, if it really did so. Could that be the case possibly?

As I said, I don't know the location at all but this just piqued my curiosity. Local "Paper" reporting these days is, unfortunately, notoriously bad everywhere in the country and seems to be reported from offices situated a long way away using little local knowledge. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, highpeakman said:

I don't know the area at all so this probably has little value but the report seemed to suggest the "train", if indeed there was ever a train, was seen near Tothill park. Looking at Google maps it seems that a train could have got to that point perhaps without going down to Laira Bridge (which would have required a reversal). I have no idea though why it would do so and, I repeat, if it really did so. Could that be the case possibly?

As I said, I don't know the location at all but this just piqued my curiosity. Local "Paper" reporting these days is, unfortunately, notoriously bad everywhere in the country and seems to be reported from offices situated a long way away using little local knowledge. 

Except the Herald really is a local paper for 'local people'.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

.:offtopic:

Ah, the Herald. Brings back memories. Mostly of having to go back out in the pouring rain and howling wind in the dark as soon as I got back from school to do the paper round (a significant chunk of the money from it going to batteries for the bike lights), and the person at the end of the paper round complaining about the paper being a bit damp. Hilly, too, at least it kept me fit.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Reorte said:

.:offtopic:

Ah, the Herald. Brings back memories. Mostly of having to go back out in the pouring rain and howling wind in the dark as soon as I got back from school to do the paper round (a significant chunk of the money from it going to batteries for the bike lights), and the person at the end of the paper round complaining about the paper being a bit damp. Hilly, too, at least it kept me fit.

Ah, the hills. I used to do Post at Christmas, and Milk Rounds one Summer, mostly out Laira way. I had forgotten how hilly loads of Plymouth is/was.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ah, the hills. I used to do Post at Christmas, and Milk Rounds one Summer, mostly out Laira way. I had forgotten how hilly loads of Plymouth is/was.

This was a bit further out, edge of Dartmoor. I lived in Yelverton at the time. Plymouth's definitely quite a hilly place all around though.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Really, you could have fooled me. :)

• Like 1