Plymouth Cattewater branch.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, rab said:

Really, you could have fooled me. :)

22 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Except the Herald really is a local paper for 'local people'.

The web page has the same "Live" banner at the top of the page as many other "local" newspaper websites including ours in the East Midlands. In this case it says Plymouth Live.  Ours has a local Live banner but often includes news items from out of area. Genuinely local newspapers just can't compete these days I am sorry to say.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, highpeakman said:

Genuinely local newspapers just can't compete these days I am sorry to say.

Compete with what? I occasionally watch Devon Live on tv if I'm at Sherry's flat. The adjective 'dire' doesn't come close. They don't even fulfil the basic 'hunk and hooters' presenters concept very well. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Oldddudders said:

Compete with what? I occasionally watch Devon Live on tv if I'm at Sherry's flat. The adjective 'dire' doesn't come close. They don't even fulfil the basic 'hunk and hooters' presenters concept very well. 

Bring back that rabbit thingy. Gus Honeybun I think it was! Now that was a great bit of TV.

Ar$£

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Except the Herald really is a local paper for 'local people'.

Best used for local people to eat their local fish and chips out of, or possibly for other local people (or even the same local people) to cut up with their local scissors and hang up in their local privies.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Reorte said:

This was a bit further out, edge of Dartmoor. I lived in Yelverton at the time. Plymouth's definitely quite a hilly place all around though.

Bloody hell, Yelverton was a far away village back in my time, reached by NO 83 Western National Double Decker. Moorland Links Hotel Stables I 'worked' in as a Lad in 1963; almost all the others, bar the owner, were girls of a certain age!!!!!!! Ummmm. Meanwhile steam was disappearing rapidly and I missed it. Derrrr.

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Compete with what? 

Social media - I suppose I should now go and wash my hands after typing that! :mellow: 

Perhaps it should really be called unsocial media? Like so many things it can be very useful and helpful but, often, so much content ends up as illiterate, bad mouthed ranting. Like littering, we don't seem to be able to get people to stop contributing nastiness.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Bloody hell, Yelverton was a far away village back in my time, reached by NO 83 Western National Double Decker. Moorland Links Hotel Stables I 'worked' in as a Lad in 1963; almost all the others, bar the owner, were girls of a certain age!!!!!!! Ummmm. Meanwhile steam was disappearing rapidly and I missed it. Derrrr.

Well I was later because steam was gone by the time I was born, let alone when I lived there (so the railway to Yelverton had long since disappeared, let alone steam) but the no. 83 Western National bus, that was the one home from school in Plymouth! I'd completely forgotten about that until you mentioned it. I quite often fell asleep on it but must've subconsciously known where I was because I never missed the stop.

All of that was 25 years ago now...

On 29/06/2021 at 10:08, highpeakman said:

Local "Paper" reporting these days is, unfortunately, notoriously bad everywhere in the country and seems to be reported from offices situated a long way away using little local knowledge. 

Sadly true, but we reap what we sow. Since so many of us stopped buying local newspapers and they have had to drastically consolidate, regroup and restructure to survive at all. Instead, most of us now get our news from the likes of BBC, MSN, Google, FaecesBurg, Twatter, etc. Which is, err, reported from offices situated even further away away using even less local knowledge. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Sadly true, but we reap what we sow. Since so many of us stopped buying local newspapers and they have had to drastically consolidate, regroup and restructure to survive at all. Instead, most of us now get our news from the likes of BBC, MSN, Google, FaecesBurg, Twatter, etc. Which is, err, reported from offices situated even further away away using even less local knowledge. 

Before the Internet became main stream (and even longer before the rise of anti-social media) our local rag had the unofficial strap line of "Never knowingly right".  Hardly surprising that once it had rivals (irrespective of their quality) it went from being daily to weekly.

Adrian

• Funny 1

On 27/06/2021 at 13:31, 125_driver said:

Highly unlikely there were any tanks down there, certainly nothing stabled long term up there so sounds dubious to me.

The only time road into Plymouth Friary has been used in past 10 years or so is on occasional driver training ECS moves, often with a sprinter unit or the 08 pilot. 

Was supposed to be a tour to Cattewater in 2013 however it got caped I believe, and since 2012 I don't think anything has reached Laira Bridge on the Cattewater line. 

Geoff Endecott's video around that time.  Brian.

This article has been getting on for nearly ten years now.  An obscure little branch line in an industrial area of Plymouth known only to those who know the area or those who enjoy such lines.  Plymouth is fortunate to have such history in its railways, but surely its drawing to a close, as is this topic.  (What am I saying?)!

Brian.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

This article has been getting on for nearly ten years now.  An obscure little branch line in an industrial area of Plymouth known only to those who know the area or those who enjoy such lines.  Plymouth is fortunate to have such history in its railways, but surely its drawing to a close, as is this topic.  (What am I saying?)!

Brian.

Well, I've enjoyed it.  In fact I've enjoyed it so much, here's something I prepared earlier today.

image.png.40a315949c7720cdcad10eb5d2918f88.png

Wharfs, docks, piers, oil storage depots, goods stations, quarries, tunnels, industrial warehousing, scrap yards ... the list goes on. And not a single passenger train in sight!

@brianusa - If it is time to start another Plymouth Branch Line topic, how about Sutton Harbour?

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Well, I've enjoyed it.  In fact I've enjoyed it so much, here's something I prepared earlier today.

image.png.40a315949c7720cdcad10eb5d2918f88.png

Wharfs, docks, piers, oil storage depots, goods stations, quarries, tunnels, industrial warehousing, scrap yards ... the list goes on. And not a single passenger train in sight!

@brianusa - If it is time to start another Plymouth Branch Line topic, how about Sutton Harbour?

Surely some modelling potential in that lot!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Surely some modelling potential in that lot!

If you had an area of about 16m x 8m you could do it to scale in OO. It would become far more realistic in n gauge but for the steam era some of the locos would be hard to find. 

I wasn't thinking the whole thing. The bit around Corporation Quay looks inviting, though! A pity there isn't a scale with the plan. I imagine there wasn't that much passenger traffic, it would almost be freight only. What loco types?

Edited by 62613

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 62613 said:

I wasn't thinking the whole thing. The bit around Corporation Quay looks inviting, though! A pity there isn't a scale with the plan

The Corporation Quay area would be about 1km long. 

3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I reckon we'd need about 28 feet for the Corporation Wharf section in full. That's including Laira Bridge as a "scenic break" on the right.

image.png.19582a57b4214c63662827569cb32a25.png

I worked out that a kilometer in 4mm scale is a bit over 13m; slightly over 40 feet

5 hours ago, Kris said:

The Corporation Quay area would be about 1km long. 

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

I worked out that a kilometer in 4mm scale is a bit over 13m; slightly over 40 feet

Hmm, both correct, in slightly different ways?

Folks are welcome to check my measuring (for the area shown above) on the original map.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106006952

I reckon it's close to 2300 feet long or 0.70 Km.

For OO/4mm scale, am I correct in calculating that would be 2300 x 4 = 9200 mm = 9.2 metres?

9.2 x 3.28 (feet per metre) = 30.1 feet.

On 01/07/2021 at 00:28, KeithMacdonald said:

Plymouth is fortunate to have such history in its railways, but surely its drawing to a close, as is this topic.  (What am I saying?)!

Just in case it does draw to a close, here's a "Plan B".

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Keith, enjoyed your little Utuber of the Cattedown branch, quite familiar although I hadn't seen the NR episodes before.  The area was lucky to have kept so much for so long and I was fortunate to have seen it at its prime but now I think the days of the Cattedown branch are really numbered.  There is no rationale for the remains any longer.:cry:

Brian.