Plymouth Cattewater branch.

Hi..would the cranes have been used as shunters?

There was a shunter for the dock - a Planet if I recall correctly. What Brian was referring to was the fact that the crane track and the standard gauge track appeared to have one rail in common so wagons would not be able to pass underneath the crane!

Thanks for the photos- always intended to explore this when I was down there- used to go over the Shapter's Way crossing quite often. Then one day it wasn't there any more :umbrage:

Considering the amount of railway that used to be around the centre of Plymouth, there's not only much left but often very little sign it was ever there. I've only just managed to work out where Millbay was! Had heard it mentioned but never thought to look, turns out it was where I sat my finals... Took me a while to work out I lived within what would have been earshot of Friary as well!

Matt

Wally (R.A.Watson) of this parish has produced an excellent guide to Plymouth and its railways. He's kindly provided it for a number of us. You could ask him via PM if he still wants to distribute it.

• Like 1

Matt

Wally (R.A.Watson) of this parish has produced an excellent guide to Plymouth and its railways. He's kindly provided it for a number of us. You could ask him via PM if he still wants to distribute it.

The offer is open ended if any one wants a copy all I need is a pm request and a couple of days to organise the reply.

I was going to contact Brian direct to offer him a copy but will now treat this as the invitation to him and the rest of the world!

Wally

• Like 5

Thanks for the photos- always intended to explore this when I was down there- used to go over the Shapter's Way crossing quite often. Then one day it wasn't there any more :umbrage:

Considering the amount of railway that used to be around the centre of Plymouth, there's not only much left but often very little sign it was ever there. I've only just managed to work out where Millbay was! Had heard it mentioned but never thought to look, turns out it was where I sat my finals... Took me a while to work out I lived within what would have been earshot of Friary as well!

Aye, Millbay is somewhat transformed from its railway heyday!  The tunnel portals are all pretty much identifiable as the route makes its way out northwards through Devonport though.  A few years ago I was fortunate to have the chairman of the Devon & Cornwall Community Rail Partnership as my guide one summer morning and we checked all these out.

After passing beneath Devonport Park, you can pick the line up in a short open stretch alongside Victoria Place, disappearing again beneath an old school motor repair workshop (Sandwells Car Care on Google Street View).  It re-emerges further north running between Anson Place and Hargood Terrace before all trace is lost around St Levan Road, I can't relate this lovely shot to the present scene: http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/images/pictures/06/28/former-lswr-railway-viaduct-st-levan-road-plymouth-61366.jpg

http://www.martandkate.co.uk/urbex.php?album=plymrailway

Sorry for the diversion OT.

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 4

I was a Mobile Operations Manager in Plymouth during the period the freight seemed to simply vanish (2007/8). The 8C08 Tavy to Cattewater was a 04.30 start to prevent congestion on Shrapters Lane crossing, and the scrap train ran slightly later. This didnt run as far as that crossing of course.

The Marsh Mills clay almost seemed to stop at the same time bringing the EWS (dont think it was DBS by then) depot at Tavistock Jn and 09101 into redundancy, albeit for the storage of onward freight services. I dont think it was railway factors, simply that the businesses didnt need the railway link anymore. I do wish I had seen the Cattewater workings, I didnt start till 06.00 and it would have been a high summer photo only.  On a happier note, I do have the Marsh Mills photos on RM web for everyone to enjoy.

I did take some scrap photos, bit cant remember where I've stored them. It was an odd branch to photgraph, and you never knew when loading would be complete and the train head back at quite a lick as the 09 was good for 25mph!

• Like 6

Chard,

Somewhat of a diversion as the line you are describing is the L & S W R line to Exeter not the G W line to Millbay!

With regard to the tunnel under Devonport Park this passes almost under the P & D M R C club rooms it has long been a thought of mine that if we could find a group preserving an ex London Transport escalator working together we would end up with the largest basement in Plymouth.

Perhaps you are another who may appreciate my set of notes as mentioned above, it compromises of maps and cross referred text and comes in P D F format. Just drop mea P M with your email adress and I will send it on.

Wally..

Ps I should be able to put together a pictureshow of these areas if any ones interested

• Like 6

The tank traffic went because the wagons were life expired and there was no money to replace them. If it had been a new traffic flow then a section 8 grant would have covered it, but there is no such facility for existing traffic flows. Go figure!

regards

Alistair

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Wheelbase looks short compared to your proto photo above, Brian

Yes, I've been thinking that too, Brian. I think they have used an existing power bogie - that looks like a continental style coupling at the short bonnet end.

I hadn't spotted this until it had been pointed out here. As the photo of the Hornby model comes out on my monitor  a bit too dark to pick out any detail I've faffed about with the picture John attached to bring the underframe into the light.

post-6793-0-62518300-1357051271.jpg

I think this adds weight to the use of an existing bogie for the photo; hopefully that's just pre production expediency and the final release will have a bespoke item.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't spotted this until it had been pointed out here. As the photo of the Hornby model comes out on my monitor  a bit too dark to pick out any detail I've faffed about with the picture John attached to bring the underframe into the light.

attachicon.gifsentinel mechanism.jpg

I think this adds weight to the use of an existing bogie for the photo; hopefully that's just pre production expediency and the final release will have a bespoke item.

Sadly, for no reason other than slight cynicism, I'm not holding my breath on that one, Neil, but I'll be jostling in the queue to buy one of these, if I'm proven wrong...

This is pretty much the extent of the branch now at the EMR scrap yard.

This was an interesting working as the loco drove down the branch with the empties from Friary but the loaded wagons were propelled back to Friary using a Queen Mary or Toad brake van.

The first shot shows the 66 passing the site of the former Western National bus depot with the empties whilst the second shows the 66 in the EMR scrap metal loading point.  The train was then worked to Tavistock Jct and on to cardiff Tidal sidings for loading on a ship for export to China.

Depending on loadings the train was worked on the branch by either the train engine as in thease shots or a class 09 as in the previous post.

post-6517-0-28150400-1357075801_thumb.jpg

66019 working down the branch with the empties from Friary.

post-6517-0-14355100-1357075834_thumb.jpg

Loading at EMR

• Like 16

Very interesting pictures, especially the use of a brake van as a crew platform when propelling. Would the van be equipped with high intensity headlights during the reversal or just a normal tail lamp?

The van was fitted with a portable battery powered high intensity head light.

E

Edited by hoover50008
  • Informative/Useful 1

Really interesting stuff. I lived in Plymouth for 3 years in the 80's and I'm kicking myself I missed this! Too interested in Hoovers and HSD at the time! Although I did photograph some freight activity at Friary a couple of times. I seem to remember an article in a model rail mag years back about modelling the Cattewater branch. I have a feeling it may have been MTI but can't be sure. The shed with the intersting roof profile jogs a memory.

• RMweb Gold

Love these sort of photos. Just shows more freight loss unfortunately.

DBS cant have any work around Plymouth now i guess.

There is less freight, but DBS do still work in Plymouth, although Tavistock Jct is currently more of a 'staging post' for clay traffic from Cornwall. The fuel tanks to Laira Depot also get dealt with there, but there's no resident 08 there any longer (Laira still have one for Depot moves). However, all is not necessarily lost, but more of that anon.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update to let you guys know that my Video of closed lines in the area and Cattewater branch working in the late 90s is now available for loan (once the present borrower has finished with it) if anyone is interested.

OK I know vids are old fashioned but hey....

Cheers, Drake @ 36E

Hi Guys, I only ever managed to get the Cattewater tanks once and it happened to be the last day on 16th May 2008 and is seen just about to pass under the Laira bridge, i finished work that morning and just missed it passing the level crossing :(. The picture has been edited a lot because that morning was a little dark and me being alittle tired just sodded the exposure :O

Tony 

post-3381-0-35123900-1357418510_thumb.jpg

• Like 13