Plymouth Cattewater branch.

Two more views of the branch during its last week in operation, one of the terminal and a close up of the last shunter used taken on 13th May 2008, the day the last Marsh Mills clays ran (afaik). It was a busy day as along the mainline the Moorswater Cement ran (the last(?) of which ran during this week) the scrap from Cattewater with 09101, the EWS clay and a DRS move to Keyham also ran,,,

Tony

post-3381-0-24885100-1357421245_thumb.jpg

post-3381-0-80188500-1357421415_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

intriguing el captain.

when you look a google earth photos of st blazey, in one if them there are 7 or so 66s stabled....not the case now of course.

I never really minded what the traction was as long as the freight continued and thought the area would make a good layout right up to the early 00s.

I went down there last year and managed to find no clay trains at all... did find some choppers and Hawks at chivenor though.

• Like 1

The tank traffic went because the wagons were life expired and there was no money to replace them. If it had been a new traffic flow then a section 8 grant would have covered it, but there is no such facility for existing traffic flows. Go figure!

regards

Alistair

Presumably the volumes which I believe were around 26000 tpa were not sufficient to warrant investment in new wagons anyhow (unless there was another flow that could use them). I wonder how long the remaining fuel to Laira and Penzance will last. This used to share the train with the bitumen tanks.

• RMweb Gold

Shark ballast plough DB 993840 used as the brakevan for the last Cattewater scraps in use (with 09101) on 13th May 2008, this van is still in Tavistock yard although not sure if it would be useable if the scrap was restarted.

DB Schenker own the plough van and their 'awareness' of it's plight was re-awakened during a recent site visit to Tavistock Jct yard...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

DB Schenker own the plough van and their 'awareness' of it's plight was re-awakened during a recent site visit to Tavistock Jct yard...

And here she is quietly rotting away in the weeds and Buddleia.

As alot of its equipment is probably now out of test and with the state of the bodywork, i reckon the only way it'l leave here now is in a skip unfortunately. The old Res van is also similar just a few yards away from where i took these.

shark4_zps0adfce05.jpgshark6_zps53207b43.jpgshark3_zps7b55c036.jpgshark2_zps9943a083.jpg

Ive just noticed all the blue sky in those shots, when did that happen ? :O

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 9

And here she is quietly rotting away in the weeds and Buddleia.

As alot of its equipment is probably now out of test and with the state of the bodywork, i reckon the only way it'l leave here now is in a skip unfortunately. The old Res van is also similar just a few yards away from where i took these.

shark4_zps0adfce05.jpgshark6_zps53207b43.jpgshark3_zps7b55c036.jpgshark2_zps9943a083.jpg

Ive just noticed all the blue sky in those shots, when did that happen ? :O

It is not possible to move the RES van as there is a Barn Owl in Residence.

E

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It is not possible to move the RES van as there is a Barn Owl in Residence.

Interesting, I'd better make sure my colleagues in the local PW and DB Schenker are aware.

What is the protocol on moving Mr Owl to another residence, should we need to use those sidings in the near future?

• Like 1

Interesting, I'd better make sure my colleagues in the local PW and DB Schenker are aware.

What is the protocol on moving Mr Owl to another residence, should we need to use those sidings in the near future?

The local staff are aware of this. A major deveg would also be required before attempting to use those sidngs. Apparently there are one or two flows in the pipeline, but nothing seems to be happening at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

The local staff are aware of this. A major deveg would also be required before attempting to use those sidngs. Apparently there are one or two flows in the pipeline, but nothing seems to be happening at the moment.

The whole area is, and will remain, the responsibility of DB Schenker, apart from the Networked Sidings at the back, behind the DBS shunters cabin, which are currently used for the grinding train, tampers etc.

As regards the two flows that are in the pipeline, there are reasons that nothing has happened yet, but we are trying to keep the momentum going, whilst at the same time seeking a sensible, 'joined-up' result (and I use these terms advisedly).

• Like 2

Hi Guys, I only ever managed to get the Cattewater tanks once and it happened to be the last day on 16th May 2008 and is seen just about to pass under the Laira bridge, i finished work that morning and just missed it passing the level crossing :(. The picture has been edited a lot because that morning was a little dark and me being alittle tired just sodded the exposure :O

Tony 

Smashing little crane in that last piccie. I wonder what its weight limit was..

Isn't this the wharf that (urban myth alert) is supposedly built over the remnants of a submarine?

Not seen this shot before...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/5828814862/

Or this one,,,

http://www.devonkarst.org.uk/bone%20caves%20of%20plymouth%20&%20district/imageF3Q.JPG

And as Howard said back in Post #6 the Tar Distillieries were there before. I've always been intrigued by this shot ; so much so that I attempted to track down the original article.. it smacks of a 20th Century version of Tregarrick - a layout I've always regretted not seeing in the flesh...

Edited by Jan
  • Like 5

Jan,

The picture in post 51, which I believe is the one you are referring to is the quay where the Lee Moor Tramway terminated to transship export clay and well predates submarines.

When I was a boy (now there's a statement!) back in 1964 I started work in a garage at the other end of the Laira Bridge and next door to us was a scrapyard (Davies & Cann) they tendered to cut up a number of old submarines and for several years after the wrecks were moored at this wharf before eventually being cut up. This has entered the local folk memory and is probably the cause of your story.

Your pictures I must admit I have never seen before apart from the last one, whichis of one of the several chemical works in the area and appears in Crispin Gill's book Plymouth River where it is noted as being the tar distillery of the Plymouth and Stonehouse Gas Co Ltd taken from the Gas Journal of 12th October 1927.

Wally

• Like 2

Jan,

The picture in post 51, which I believe is the one you are referring to is the quay where the Lee Moor Tramway terminated to transship export clay and well predates submarines.

When I was a boy (now there's a statement!) back in 1964 I started work in a garage at the other end of the Laira Bridge and next door to us was a scrapyard (Davies & Cann) they tendered to cut up a number of old submarines and for several years after the wrecks were moored at this wharf before eventually being cut up. This has entered the local folk memory and is probably the cause of your story.

Your pictures I must admit I have never seen before apart from the last one, whichis of one of the several chemical works in the area and appears in Crispin Gill's book Plymouth River where it is noted as being the tar distillery of the Plymouth and Stonehouse Gas Co Ltd taken from the Gas Journal of 12th October 1927.

Wally

Hi Wally,

Ah... 'Plymouth River' ... a much sought-after book for us local buuys.. :) A bit on the expensive side now (abebooks has it at 60 sheets). No doubt you're on the mark regarding the sub story, and thanks for lending your knowledge.

The Cattedown branch is a fascinating little length of line, connecting Plymouth's oldest inhabitants with the modern day. I hope it doesn't go the way of the Ocean Terminal on the other side of the Sound. Even this http://www.plymouthdata.info/Photos/PR%20Power%20Station.jpg has gone... I'm intrigued by that little long 'lean to' shed out on its own... I wonder if it was some kind of coal drop...

Hi Wally,

Ah... 'Plymouth River' ... a much sought-after book for us local buuys.. :) A bit on the expensive side now (abebooks has it at 60 sheets). No doubt you're on the mark regarding the sub story, and thanks for lending your knowledge.

The Cattedown branch is a fascinating little length of line, connecting Plymouth's oldest inhabitants with the modern day. I hope it doesn't go the way of the Ocean Terminal on the other side of the Sound. Even this http://www.plymouthdata.info/Photos/PR Power Station.jpg has gone... I'm intrigued by that little long 'lean to' shed out on its own... I wonder if it was some kind of coal drop...

Not a coal drop, but most likely a wagon tippler- loaded coal wagons would be uncoupled, propelled into the building, and inverted. Once emptied, the tippler would be returned to its original position, the empty wagon 'bumped out', and the process repeated. Strachan and Henshawe of Bristol used to be one of the companies that manufactured them.
  • Like 1

The modern looking building was Plymouth A power station the collection of dark coloured chimneys behind it is Plymouth B station, suffice to say that the B unit was the original and therefore older unit!

Coal all came in by coaster and was unloaded by grabs and conveyer systems on a quay by the B station.

For anyone looking for the site in this modern age it is covered by the modern sewage works complex.

Wally

Ps FC try Chris Robinsons Old Plymouth Bookshop on the Barbican i suspect he can do the book much cheaper than that.

• Like 2

Not a coal drop, but most likely a wagon tippler- loaded coal wagons would be uncoupled, propelled into the building, and inverted. Once emptied, the tippler would be returned to its original position, the empty wagon 'bumped out', and the process repeated. Strachan and Henshawe of Bristol used to be one of the companies that manufactured them.

Hi F C,

Thanks for that. I thought of a tippler, but figured it looked a bit skinny (I haven't identified any other photos of it to check).

The modern looking building was Plymouth A power station the collection of dark coloured chimneys behind it is Plymouth B station, suffice to say that the B unit was the original and therefore older unit!

Coal all came in by coaster and was unloaded by grabs and conveyer systems on a quay by the B station.

For anyone looking for the site in this modern age it is covered by the modern sewage works complex.

Wally

Ps FC try Chris Robinsons Old Plymouth Bookshop on the Barbican i suspect he can do the book much cheaper than that.

Hi Wally

Ah... Chris Robinson. Used to be 'The Voice of Argyle' at half time. We used to natter when I had my bookshop on the Barbican. A nice chap.I must admit (despite living in Bere Alston) the last time I was on the Barbican was to watch England in the World Cup. In the pub of pubs.. The Dolphin. A lot tamer than it used to be....

• Like 1

Jan,

Wally

I seem to remember seeing submarines being scrapped at the Plymouth end of Laira Bridge from the bus whilst travelling to Pomphlett up until 66 when we left Plymouth. I also have a dim memory of the Amethyst (or was it the Wild Swan) being scrapped in the 50's but on the opposite bank.

Would that be 1966 then Jan?

P (ex 83D)

:P I would have been 7 then!

I meant the 2010 one. Of course, by then, they'd ripped out the old bus seats and replaced them with something a bit more conventional. But you could still take your fish and chips in to the pub and have a drink...

Laira, eh? When we came back from NZ in late 2007, we rented a place in Old Laira Road.... the really old bit, down past the Laira Road Inn (now flats), and about 50 yards short of where the Plymouth and Dartmoor Railway passed by on the level across the GWR mainline... the approach is now part of the turning circle at the end of the cul-de-sac, I think... There was a chap on the corner had a wooden model of a GWR tank in his window - it was quite big; it took up most of the windowsill. Then, suddenly, one day, he was gone :(

• Like 1