westerhamstation

The sirens were used post war for Fire Brigade call outs  (non-full time areas).

I cant remember when they ceased to be used but presumably the 80's when pagers came into use.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

They did one at noon at the weekend, prob Sunday, as I recall, at Fort Halstead, through the 90s certainly..

Certainly did that all over the Orpington area on certain Sundays, used to traumatise my mum. All the best Adrian.

Edited by westerhamstation
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, IWCR said:

The sirens were used post war for Fire Brigade call outs  (non-full time areas).

I cant remember when they ceased to be used but presumably the 80's when pagers came into use.

Pete

The sirens were decommissioned in the early 90s after the fall of the Berlin wall, but some were kept on as flood warnings.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There is on at Broadmoor Mental Hospital.  Every Monday they test it first as a warning, then as the all clear.  They are thinking of stopping using it, although not sure when.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westerhamstation said:

Certainly did that all over the Orpington area on certain Sundays, used to traumatise my mum. All the best Adrian.

That must have been the same one from the fort, we heard it in Chelsfield so Orpington would have heard it easily too, I'm assuming they don't still do it, I've not been up that way on a Sunday for years!

• Like 2

We have a siren that is tested regularly for flood alert on the causeway here on Portland, perhaps in past it was an air raid siren?

We have been cut off at least twice in the last fifteen years though it used to be more common.

Martyn

• Like 2

On 12/07/2019 at 17:05, IWCR said:

Pete

I remember the siren in Grantown on Spey in the 1950s. Was there recently and did ask, but the local man wasn’t sure when they stopped using it. We kids used to charge up to the fire station hoping to get the news to pass on to our folks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just finished catching up with this thread, you've really captured the look of this corner of London. The latest pics have a wonderful atmosphere to them.  The air raid siren is a nice touch, if anyone wants detailed pics of these I have one in my workshop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon, thanks for following and your kind comments.

7 hours ago, simon b said:

The air raid siren is a nice touch, if anyone wants detailed pics of these I have one in my workshop. 

I only have a smoke detector in our house, but upgrading to an air raid siren seems like a good idea. All the best Adrian.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Simon, thanks for following and your kind comments.

I only have a smoke detector in our house, but upgrading to an air raid siren seems like a good idea. All the best Adrian.

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Is that so you can be told when the tea's made indoors?

I jokingly told her it was my new alarm clock,  I wont post her reply to that!

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well worth the effort, got a bit of depth to it.

I'll leave you in peace now sitting in you deck chair supping a cool drink.....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1