westerhamstation

• RMweb Gold

In them thar days, I'm certain that the inn-sign at Brasted on the A25 said "Pull in to the Bull Inn".

If you are enjoying the scenic aspects of the layout - as we are! - then proceeding further looks good. Increased operational scope as a result of an extension appears limited, however. Only you know what motivates you.

It seems that things are changing at the Bull, I did use the pub occsasionally, and it did use to have that sign Pull in to the Bull Inn.

The White Hart just up the road had a great public bar with all the the  World War 2 Fighter aces signatures on a chalk board, I wonder if its still there. I think my reason for now wanting to extend the line is that I didnt realise that when I started, how much fun it would be, it sort of sneeks up on you and grabs you in. 

post-17489-0-47986800-1363371949.jpg

post-17489-0-31275800-1363371963.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Although you may not get the whole way to Dunton Green, what about say the first overbridge or something past where you currently are?  Trains through open countryside can be just as entertaining :)

This is the bit I am thinking of modelling, as the layout is in my garage, and Westerham station takes up 10ft of one wall, then there is a partion wall dividing the garage. My thinking is, that I will build Brasted on the opposite wall to Westerham, connecting the two stations with a non scenic piece of trackwork the other side of the partion. this will become clearer  when i have done a drawing. (perhaps). :paint:

post-17489-0-49074300-1363376066.jpg

• RMweb Gold

What a wonderful model.  I lived in Westerham for ten years and still live closeby. In fact, I drove through the town only yesterday.  I was so impressed that I had to show my wife your photographs and she was bowled over.  The location is easily recognizable from your model.  Excellent work, well done.

If I might make one slight criticism, and this was pointed out to me by my wife.  The human figures shown in the photographs are not up to the high standard set by the rest of the model.  Might I suggest you consider changing them for something more realistic?   Personally, I would recommend Monty's Models from Dart Castings. (The usual disclaimer applies).  This suggestion is only offered in the hope of raising a 'truly excellent model' to the realms of 'a masterpiece'.

Terry

Many thanks for your response to my layout . the figures I have used are just a bit of fun till I get some proper ones. By that I mean scale, not full size! They are fifty five plus years old and along with the old Matchbox land rover and bulldozer, are all that remain from my Triang Princess Elizabeth Train Set.

Edited by westerhamstation

• RMweb Gold

This is the plan to re-open the line as far as Brasted Station.

Unfortunately time has not been kind to the route of the old line, parts of the route have been blocked by the careless dumping of Freezers , Bedframes, Old Timber (that might come in handy one day) it hasnt so far! Stuff I can't even remember owning, or wanting.Bikes x 2 old shelves the List goes on , Now I know how the Bluebell Railway must have felt clearing that cutting. It looks like, long hard negotiations are going to take place with the authorities concerned. This will mean payements, bribes, trips out and anything else it takes to get the line re-opened.

post-17489-0-30695000-1363633197_thumb.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!

Just nipped across to your thread for a crafty look. What a cracking layout, and beautifuly detailed. How do you cram in so much modelling in between searching for bits on the floor?? 

I am now taking a hard look at my layout, and wishing I had not come to look at yours!!

Keep it up, look forward to watching the progress.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Wow!!

Just nipped across to your thread for a crafty look. What a cracking layout, and beautifuly detailed. How do you cram in so much modelling in between searching for bits on the floor?? 

I am now taking a hard look at my layout, and wishing I had not come to look at yours!!

Rich

Wow!!

Rich

Thanks a lot Rich, the answer is I dont know, when I find out I will tell you. please don't deliver anti clumsy suit till week after next as I am going on holiday to see my son.

thanks again adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adrian,

I'm seeking planning permission to extend through the garage in to the utility room.

Unfortunatley, I installed a new gas boiler, and sods law it's right in the path of the extension, causing a 1:20 incline on a 38" radius 7mm line.

Still, onwards and upwards!!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian,

I'm seeking planning permission to extend through the garage in to the utility room.

Unfortunatley, I installed a new gas boiler, and sods law it's right in the path of the extension, causing a 1:20 incline on a 38" radius 7mm line.

Still, onwards and upwards!!

Rich

Hi Rich. 

Getting planning permmision for railway extensions is always going to involve a lot of negotiation, usual expensive, it sounds like it will be uphill all the way and will drive you round the bend.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I have started doing a little bit of detailing on the layout, such as dustbins, luggage, and street lights ( non working ) as I dont use the layout at night, or wish add to my wiring phobia.

This is really enjoyable, but it's knowing when to stop which I am not sure that I do. I am trying to avoid scenes that look to contrived if I can. At present I am making some Belisha Beacons for the zebra crossing out side the school. After that I might have a go at stringing the telegraph poles, any suggestions would be welcome. any way here are a few more pics.  

post-17489-0-93019300-1365788461.jpg

post-17489-0-56526000-1365788484.jpg

post-17489-0-19240800-1365788506.jpg

post-17489-0-99790400-1365788519.jpg

post-17489-0-76716900-1365788538.jpg

post-17489-0-36041100-1365788551.jpg

post-17489-0-56262900-1365788567.jpg

• Like 10

Many years ago, I added 'wire' to my telegraph poles (4mm) and to be honest, they looked better without the wire. A friend reccommended magicians wire. I have no experience with it, but personally, I would leave them without.

What a superb job you are doing, really capturing the detail and feel of Westerham. Sadly I was just too young to see the line in operation, but did plenty of childhood exploration of the disused line and stations before the M25 was built.

Might have been mentioned before, but there's some old film of the Westerham railway on youtube, looking at that now just shows how accurate your modelling has captured it.

• RMweb Gold

What a superb job you are doing, really capturing the detail and feel of Westerham. Sadly I was just too young to see the line in operation, but did plenty of childhood exploration of the disused line and stations before the M25 was built.

Might have been mentioned before, but there's some old film of the Westerham railway on youtube, looking at that now just shows how accurate your modelling has captured it.

Thank you,

this Link might interest you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsit-g18GSg

The things people thought of in the sixties..A Hillman Imp on the Westerham Valley Railway. And before anyone asks no I am not going to model it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adrian,

Your layout just gets better and better. Any news on the extension?

I have 'provisional' planning through, but just waiting on the Peco 7mm set track curves as I think bending the track to as tight a radius as I need may end up a little kiinky!!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian,

Your layout just gets better and better. Any news on the extension?

I have 'provisional' planning through, but just waiting on the Peco 7mm set track curves as I think bending the track to as tight a radius as I need may end up a little kiinky!!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you, no news as yet on the Brasted extension as I am waiting for Lottery Funding, It may be awhile as Mrs W.Station refuses to by me a ticket. Also I seem to be spending a lot of modelling time, looking at people setting fire to beards, falling down holes, glueing themselves to other things, and spending weeks on end on there hands and knees searching for bits of kits, fingers and other things they have inadvertently sliced / sawn off. Regarding your kiinks ( see your post ) a hot iron may solve your problem. Again I beg you no pictures please.

Regards Adrian 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The things people thought of in the sixties..A Hillman Imp on the Westerham Valley Railway. And before anyone asks no I am not going to model it!

Do you know, saw that video some time ago, and I've half an idea someone had a crack at it!

• Like 1