westerhamstation

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Westerhamstation.   I agree with everyone, but now, after several years, the line has gone and indeed partly built  over by the construction of the M25.

I don’t know if there are any followers that bother with youtube, but there is an interesting video on the line, with a commentary. Happy Modelling Kev 

• Thanks 1

Hi Adrian, fantastically atmospheric and detailed as always. I spend a fair bit of time looking at photos of the Canon Street / Charing Cross lines in the 60s for research, when not on my usual LSWR stuff, and you have the look down to a tee.

Thought I’d ask a question which has been occupying my mind, if I may: how was the Grand Vitesse worked (/how is the model worked) without points for locomotive release at the ends? Did the train engine propel back and use the main line points somehow, or was there a pilot? I can’t see how it would have been managed without some awkward propelling moves.

Best, Adam 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Another plate girder bridge, this time its a small one that covers the lower level line that runs next to the Acme Engineering Works. Made from cardboard and some plasticard rivet sheet.

Some pictures of it in situ. My next big job is to finish off the arches and bridges along the right hand side of the baseboard. All the best Adrian.

Nice work Adrian I need to read through this topic as I have only recently come across it.

From the above (I assume it’s 4mm) the plastikard rivet sheet interests me as I have a rather big project rumbling along in the background where I had in mind the Wills girder bridge, but seeing your finished bridge here I think it could work well for me. Is it 0431 in that link? 

Thanks in advance another Adrian!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've doubtless said this before but...This layout is absolutely spot on..I used to go through London bridge, Waterloo East (to and from) Charing X  during the 80s and I can picture a section that is a dead ringer for this, obviously it was all 3rd rail EMUs in my day.. but it's uncanny how right he's got the look and feel of the place...just outstanding!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

I've doubtless said this before but...This layout is absolutely spot on..I used to go through London bridge, Waterloo East (to and from) Charing X  during the 80s and I can picture a section that is a dead ringer for this, obviously it was all 3rd rail EMUs in my day.. but it's uncanny how right he's got the look and feel of the place...just outstanding!

The feel of the place is indeed what has been captured. Like you many years of commuting through there, plus 40 years ago occasionally finding myself as SM at Cannon St, Charing Cross and Holborn Viaduct, have been brought back by Adrian's atmospheric representation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The feel of the place is indeed what has been captured. Like you many years of commuting through there, plus 40 years ago occasionally finding myself as SM at Cannon St, Charing Cross and Holborn Viaduct, have been brought back by Adrian's atmospheric representation. 

I have an idea (on the back burner whilst I dabble in 7mm scale) of a layout based on Borough Market Junction. It would need just this sort of construction and atmosphere.

Well done Westerhamstation on creating a believable slice of London.

Edited by malcolmcelyn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Calidore said:

Hi Adrian, fantastically atmospheric and detailed as always. I spend a fair bit of time looking at photos of the Canon Street / Charing Cross lines in the 60s for research, when not on my usual LSWR stuff, and you have the look down to a tee.

Thought I’d ask a question which has been occupying my mind, if I may: how was the Grand Vitesse worked (/how is the model worked) without points for locomotive release at the ends? Did the train engine propel back and use the main line points somehow, or was there a pilot? I can’t see how it would have been managed without some awkward propelling moves.

Best, Adam 

Hi Adam, in answer to your question I must confess that I have no real idea on the of how the Grand Vitesse was worked in real life, but i am sure that others on here will be able to help throw some light on it.

I have sent you a pm of a magaazine article about the Grand Vitesse which might help. I cant post it on here as it might infringe some copyright. All the best Adrian.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Nice work Adrian I need to read through this topic as I have only recently come across it.

From the above (I assume it’s 4mm) the plastikard rivet sheet interests me as I have a rather big project rumbling along in the background where I had in mind the Wills girder bridge, but seeing your finished bridge here I think it could work well for me. Is it 0431 in that link? 

Thanks in advance another Adrian!

Hi Ade, yes the Slaters 0431 is the one. if you have loads of rivets you might like to try the Acme Rocket Riviter Mk1, page 85 about two thirds the way down describes its use. All the best another Adrian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, thanks for posting the link to the Acme Rocket Riveter mk1, pictures of the Mk 2 undergoing trials at the Acme proving grounds.

1199190932_rocketriveter.JPG.e079292e76445d6b1664ab53e0106743.JPG

Thank you all for your kind comments on capturing the atmosphere of that area of South London and it is jogging your memories of times past. When working on it I can seem to smell and taste the area which i hope dosn't sound to far fetched. All the best Adrian.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, westerhamstation said:

When working on it I can seem to smell and taste the area

You need to get your central heating checked...

It's that coal gas that does it

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian. Loving the Acme Rocket Riveter. Great idea! Now where is that broken clock?! HONEY!! Where did you put your grandad's old clock??? I'm going to ......err.......fix it....um...well sort of fix it....well use it...err..um..part of it anyway .........LOL 

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Al, thanks for posting the link to the Acme Rocket Riveter mk1, pictures of the Mk 2 undergoing trials at the Acme proving grounds.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Okay ok fik or what!

thought to the Acme Rocket Riveter didn’t have a slaters ring about it!  But off I went looking for page 85! Doh!!!

Thanks Al for the link and guidance to a naive modeller.

Cheers 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

It is a good job you are young and fit!  If it is too tight to get out you will have to do what Winnie-the-Pooh did, and wait until you are thin.  :jester:

It is coming on well.  I doubt it would have worked if you had done it first.

• Funny 3