westerhamstation

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, Ewer Street, Warts & All.
  • westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, Ewer Street, Filling in a corner.

Hi Westerham Station.

My first job was at Peek Freans biscuit factory 1969/70. The building still stands, but the biscuits are long gone. Facing south overlooking the multiple lines running into London Bridge. Not that far from the site of the former Spa Road Station, originally London and Greenwich Railway. Parts of the platform are still visible from passing trains, although the station closed more than 100 years ago.

All the best

Ray

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray, this link may be of interest to you.

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/500m-bermondsey-masterplan-will-celebrate-old-peek-frean-biscuit-factory/

I see that you are from Peckham, my first job was in Peckham, some 60 years ago at Expedite Publicity who were sign makers and screen printers based in East Surrey Grove. All the best Adrian.

A picture of what was biscuit town and the Peek Frean works.

AH273498_942long.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I have memories of this as I commuted into London for one of my earliest jobs - but it also reminded me of an excellent small exhibition layout which you may or may not have seen, called "Re-United Biscuits"!

My picture taken at a local exhibition with my phone doesn't really do it justice, but it features a factory where broken biscuits are taken to be mended for re-shipping back to the shops:

SJPIMG_20190824_10352702190824.jpg.2768338788d98eacfaf324d04f78818c.jpg

Open wagons arrive at one end with the raw materials which leave in suitably decorated vans at the other end!

If we ever get back to exhibiions, I recommend it.

Tony

• Like 13

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, Ewer Street, Continuing Filling in a corner.
  • westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, Ewer Street, Corner now filled
  • westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, Ewer Street, A big brick wall
12 minutes ago, westerhamstation said:

A big brick wall.

This is the retaining wall that will seperate the upper and lower levels and will be the maintenance yard / workshops for the biscuit factory.

Construction is a mixture of much modified scalescenes arches and plasticard weatherboarding, with some fire lighter spills for the timber beams. Here are some pictures of progress so far. All the best Adrian.

Yes that's a big brick wall! :rolleyes: :D 

Edited by Benbow
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, thanks the doors are slaters plasticard with additional strips of plasticard for the thickness on the ends and top. they have been sprayed grey from a rattle can, then lightly sanded with a emery board courtesy of Mrs W Station who is still looking for it, then painted with acrylic dirty black my first time of using acrylics as I have always used enamels, I have found that I might be a convert to this type of paint.

All the best Adrian. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, Ewer Street, Gate Keepers Building
  • westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, Ewer Street, Gate House started.
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, thats what is so good about this hobby for me is not so much about the modelling, but what time you can spend wandering down paths of information which lead you to something unexpected and of probably no use to you but lead you onto something else and when you look at the clock 3 hours have passed and you have been somewhere else in your head. All the best  off now for a wander Adrian.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, Ewer Street, Gate House Now Painted