westerhamstation

Lovely fencing      ...   good to see your work back on the Thread    .......   :sungum:  :sungum:

..............    BTW   ......................................................................                   ...................................    you any good at 1:1 fencing as well?   ....  it's just that out at the back here  ..................      :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hope you're feeling better mate,

It does beg the question whether Adrian and Andy P have been drinking out of the same glass, wink, wink! Or, just maybe, the germ is being carried round the country on 4mm scale trains!

P.S. Hope you feel better soon

Edited by Ray H

I was just about to say that I've never seen a photograph of an engine in the yard at Brasted but that, of course, is because it was dark most of the year when the freight ran.

Incidentally, the last day photographs shown some wagons in the yard at Brasted. There must have been a trip after the official 'last day' to collect them but I've never seen it mentioned.

spot on.....

hope you are finally feeling more your self. Take it easy.......LOL loads of us need that motto tattooed on our foreheads.....

You have been in the magazine, we all love your work, relax.....love your humour as usual......

hope you are both looking forward to a good Xmas.

• RMweb Gold

I was just about to say that I've never seen a photograph of an engine in the yard at Brasted but that, of course, is because it was dark most of the year when the freight ran.

Incidentally, the last day photographs shown some wagons in the yard at Brasted. There must have been a trip after the official 'last day' to collect them but I've never seen it mentioned.

Hi Ron, you will probably know, but I am sure that I have read somewhere that some of the carriages from the Riverhead rail crash were stored at Brasted for a while. I also wonder if the wagons you mention, were just left at Brasted. All the best Adrian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst idling my time away in the warm,and on the internet trying to find out how sleeper built platforms were constructed (for Chevening Halt). I found this site with some proper draughtsmans drawings on it, not a cad drawing insight, that shows detailed construction drawings of some lineside structures that could be adapted for many regions. primarily they are for

MS&LRy.'s/Great Central. I have posted this link elsewhere on RMweb. The drawings enlarge just by clicking on them. Long live pen and ink drawings and draughtsmens skills of old.

http://www.swithland-signal-works.co.uk/plans/plans.htm

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Chevning Halt was made in precast concrete..

Hi Bigherb, that's true and thanks for pointing it out, but I wanted to model the one prior to the horrible rebuilt, when they changed the road bridge after the war and the platform. I am not sure if the platform shelter was the same one though, or did they redo that as well. All the best Adrian.

post-17489-0-38176100-1418475289_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-01686300-1418475441.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Bigherb, that's true and thanks for pointing it out, but I wanted to model the one prior to the horrible rebuilt, when they changed the road bridge after the war and the platform. I am not sure if the platform shelter was the same one though, or did they redo that as well. All the best Adrian.

Gould's book is not too helpful on when or why Chevening was rebuilt and whether they were both done at the same time, though he does mention that a bomb fell on the line 150 yards on the Dunton Green side of the halt so maybe that did some structural damage to the bridge. The other thought is that there were problems with the drainage in the cutting - the old gault clay again. In your first picture you can see signs of problems with drainage channels in the far cutting side and in the second the substantial drains that were put in, presumably as part of the reconstruction. It may be that the old platform had to be removed to allow new drains to be put into the southern cutting side. Incidentally, in the second picture there's a leaning post in the cutting side which may indicate slipping problems.*

Gould reckons the 1950s for the reconstruction but by 1952 at the latest. I would put that back a tad. In 1951, when the line was being considered as a possible candidate for closure, the chief civil engineer was asked to defer track renewals and other items of heavy expenditure on the line. I wonder whether the cost of the Chevening work was the reason for the issue of this edict so I would guess 1950-51. Given the post-war shortages of materials I can't see it being done unless it was really vital work.I need to look that up in the early BR records at the National Archives.

So, that means you're plumping for a 1940s era for your model, Adrian. You're going to need to fettle up your skills at building locomotives and rolling stock then. That'll be an R1 and the ex-SECR railmotor set, neither of which are, TTBOMK, available as kits, let alone RTR. A wartime scene would require you to paint white stripes on the platform canopy supports to stop people walking into them in the blackout and, of course, all the model people would have to be carrying gas masks, there would have to be lots of service vehicles and service people around (especially RAF) and the advertising hoardings would have to carry government posters rather than exhorting the locals to buy things.

:devil:

*By 1956 there was another serious slip in the Chevening area

Edited by ronstrutt
  • Like 2