westerhamstation

Whilst idling my time away in the warm,and on the internet trying to find out how sleeper built platforms were constructed (for Chevening Halt). I found this site with some proper draughtsmans drawings on it, not a cad drawing insight, that shows detailed construction drawings of some lineside structures that could be adapted for many regions. primarily they are for

MS&LRy.'s/Great Central. I have posted this link elsewhere on RMweb. The drawings enlarge just by clicking on them. Long live pen and ink drawings and draughtsmens skills of old.

http://www.swithland-signal-works.co.uk/plans/plans.htm

Somewhere I have a few old pictures of Dorking Deepdene aka Deepdene, aka Box Hill and Deepdene, aka that station near the big houses just outside Dorking. This was a SER/SECR structure built of wood (because it was perched on top of a tall embankment so a solid structure was out of order). I imagine that Chevening would have been of similar construction. I'll try to find them.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ron, thank you for that information, it may be a question of modellers licence, and modellers finance as to what will be run. From my point of view I just prefer the look of the old bridge

rather than the replacement, and also with the timber platform will be more interesting to build. Hopefully I will make a start some time in the New Year. All the best Adrian.

• Like 1

Hi Ron, thank you for that information, it may be a question of modellers licence, and modellers finance as to what will be run. From my point of view I just prefer the look of the old bridge

rather than the replacement, and also with the timber platform will be more interesting to build. Hopefully I will make a start some time in the New Year. All the best Adrian.

You could always build the halt at Combe Bank/Sundridge that was planned and approved but never built.

• Like 1

Somewhere I have a few old pictures of Dorking Deepdene aka Deepdene, aka Box Hill and Deepdene, aka that station near the big houses just outside Dorking. This was a SER/SECR structure built of wood (because it was perched on top of a tall embankment so a solid structure was out of order). I imagine that Chevening would have been of similar construction. I'll try to find them.

Found one - and probably the best one - in the first box I looked in. (One day I will get around to cataloguing what I have.)

Hope it helps. (Methinks you may need to get a few coffee stirrers.)

post-20556-0-24686200-1418563950_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronstrutt
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Found one - and probably the best one - in the first box I looked in. (One day I will get around to cataloguing what I have.)

Hi Ron, that's brilliant thank you, what a smart looking bunch of chaps, I like the casual poses, I am off now in search of coffee stirrers, and a moustache. All the best Adrian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Adrian,

You could always paint it up as WWII era or earlier, but still run the same train(s).  It would be something different on your layout.

Hi Chris,Ron, you have set me thinking (a dangerous thing on a Sunday evening) it would take nothing to set that era, only the replacement of some vehicles to set the period, Westerham station already has the remains of the white blackout markings, a bonus would be the lack lighting on platforms and buildings. Just off to get my tin hat, all the best Adrian. PUT THAT LIGHT OUT.

• Like 2

Somehow I can't link to replies this evening. So this post is in reply to 1488:-

Talking of Artist's Licence - and you certainly deserve that given your all round artistry - during WWII is there any chance that an army camp was established nearby? Then you could be really busy - big locos an' all!

Just a thought. ;)

Regards, Tony.

• RMweb Gold

That's a great photo. Those two fellers in the middle look like they are going to settle into a rendition of Riverdance. The Australian wines advert is interesting. Through ignorance, I just assumed that the Australian wine industry started more recently.

• Like 1

That's a great photo. Those two fellers in the middle look like they are going to settle into a rendition of Riverdance. The Australian wines advert is interesting. Through ignorance, I just assumed that the Australian wine industry started more recently.

......................   Nah  ...................   they've been getting blotto on the stuff for centuries   ...................    :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Somehow I can't link to replies this evening. So this post is in reply to 1488:-

Talking of Artist's Licence - and you certainly deserve that given your all round artistry - during WWII is there any chance that an army camp was established nearby? Then you could be really busy - big locos an' all!

Just a thought. ;)

Regards, Tony.

Hi Tony, your question about nearby army camps. Close by to Westerham, is one of the great fighter stations of WW2 RAF Biggin Hill situated at the top of the North Downs.

Also at Knockholt there was a Y station working in conjuction with Bletchley Park. At the top of the North Downs overlooking Sevenoaks and the branch line was Fort Halstead

I have included a Wikipedia link to this site because right at the end of the page about notable people who worked at the establishment was a one Dr Beeching!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Halstead

So thank you for your question, It has provided me with a bit of interesting research. All the best Adrian

• Like 2

Hi Tony, your question about nearby army camps. Close by to Westerham, is one of the great fighter stations of WW2 RAF Biggin Hill situated at the top of the North Downs.

Also at Knockholt there was a Y station working in conjuction with Bletchley Park. At the top of the North Downs overlooking Sevenoaks and the branch line was Fort Halstead

I have included a Wikipedia link to this site because right at the end of the page about notable people who worked at the establishment was a one Dr Beeching!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Halstead

So thank you for your question, It has provided me with a bit of interesting research. All the best Adrian

Sadly these sites do not seem to have generated a lot of traffic for the branch. Both Knockholt and Fort Halstead were as close to Knockholt station on the main line as to any of the branch stations and while Biggin Hill was fairly close to Westerham, there was the inconvenience called Westerham Hill in between, so, AFAIK, all freight went there via Bromley as did most of the passenger traffic. Westerham was Biggin Hill's favoured watering hole, though.

• Like 1

As Ron says nothing that would have much to do with the railway. In addition to the above, RAF Sundridge (Coombe Bank School) was a plane recovery depot. An underground storage facility (not MOD) north of Westerham. A firing range on the downs at Westerham Hill might have generated a bit of traffic.

• Like 1

Ticked 'like' 'cos I couldn't find the superb and/or brilliant button!  Many thanks for the great inspiring thread you've taken us through this year.  Seasons Greetings and a Happy New Year to Westerham and all who sail in her!

Edited by Adams442T

Absolutely wonderful Adrian,- my wife has just watched your Crimbo pud ad,and has remarked that your models are lovely, totally realistic!

Seasons greetings to you and of course Mrs Westerhamstation.

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve).

• Like 1

Evening Adrian, what a great little Video, so well put together and executed, your modelling really is superb, in fact I'm just going to have another read of BRM. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. 

• Like 1

Sorry not been on much, always love your thread, your eye for colour is outstanding......you must have spent your childhood watching blue peter make it yourself episodes LOL

any.....HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you and your lovely wife. It was really nice meeting you both earlier this year. 

Hi Peter, I found this picture which shows it on the right hand side, and on the Hornby model that's were the location hole is.There seems to be lots of pipes on some photos, and just one or two on others, Hornby don't give you any info as to what goes where or what colour the ends of the pipes might be.

Baffled of Brasted. All the best Adrian.

Some good while ago questions were being asked about pull-push fittings on the Southern. On the basis that all SR locomotives must have been similarly fitted, here is a close-up of H Class 31324 at Dunton Green in 1961, including the air pipes and an electrical connector. The air reservoir for the system can be seen under the front of the engine.

Note, to the left of the locomotive, sundry equipments lying around in preparation for the electrification of the branch.

Wishing you all a happy Christmas and may Santa bring you all the model railway equipment your hearts could desire, and a plentiful supply of coffee stirrers.

post-20556-0-23843900-1418933635_thumb.jpg

• Like 9