westerhamstation

Popped over to Brasted this morning, and found my drum of cable that I have been waiting for. So as Bodgit and Scarper (multi trade operatives) weren't busy

doing anything useful, and I don't know why (you think that I would have learned after the door episode)  I asked them to give me a hand with it. So with out further ado they raced off (shuffled) to get some equipment out of storage. Well after much huffing and puffing they managed to get the drum of cable over to the site, only to find that an official from the electrical offices of the SR was waiting for them, wanting to see their certificates of competence in electrical wiring. I tried to merge into the background along side the pantomime horse who had arrived on the scene, this isn't going to go well I thought.

The first three scenic pictures are wonderful. Your eye for colour is ALWAYS so good.

just spent TWO minutes deciding which one to copy here....as thee are NO pictures yet .... :O

post-17489-0-20881400-1415119369_thumb.j

love the overgrown feel....

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Oops! Meant to post this map - it shows the Westerham area more clearly.

I forget to say, don't take this map too literally. The line of the South Orbital Road, marked 8, shows it going right through the Palladian mansion which was then (and is still) Combe Bank School, cutting through the front lawn and lake of Chevening House (then the seat of the Earls Stanhope and today the shared official residence of the Deputy Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary), demolishing Shoreham Court, and slicing right along the boundary of the church there. I think that the route is more indicative than precise. We can say with a fair degree of certainty that it wouldn't have been built on that line.

post-20556-0-63597800-1415356470_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronstrutt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course, some would say that no sacrifice is too great for the improvement in infrastructure...

One can soon adjust to and accept the changes in the landscape...

post-17302-0-51468100-1415363906_thumb.jpg

Edited by acg_mr

Aren't you    ............

Of course, some would say that no sacrifice is too great for the improvement in infrastructure...

attachicon.gifChevening-House-and-lake--M25.jpg

...............    rather tempting ministerial interference fate  .............    :jester:     .......................     :scratchhead:    .................   :O   ................   :nono:

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifChevening-House-and-lake--M25.jpg

Hi Al, that is brilliant, it made me laugh out loud, unlike the deputy prime minister when he looked out of his bedroom window. All the best Adrian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Wow! Over here I've seen "kits" that are basically just rectangles of wood. It's like those pre-peeled eggs and oranges in the supermarket. If you have so little time available that you don't have enough to peel and egg you really need to take stock of your life!

• Like 1

Wow! Over here I've seen "kits" that are basically just rectangles of wood. It's like those pre-peeled eggs and oranges in the supermarket. If you have so little time available that you don't have enough to peel and egg you really need to take stock of your life!

I take your point, though sometimes with model railways it's a little difficult to decide where the dividing line comes. These days, given the wonderful choice of highly-accurate and detailed r-t-r locomotives available, I wouldn't bother to build one either from scratch or in kit form, even if I had the skill to do so. Buildings are a slightly different matter, though, especially if you're trying to reproduce a real location and given that creating a building from scratch is vastly cheaper than paying out for a ready-made one. In particular, I would not want someone looking at a layout of mine and saying, 'Oh yes, that's the Skaledale model, I've got one of those on my layout' just as in the past, no serious modeller wanted to have the Airfix church or the Superquick inn on their model.

However, there are people who perhaps because of lack of time or perhaps because of infirmity (failing eyesight, arthritis, general crumbliness, etc) cannot build their own. Many years ago, with a view to the layout that was often thought about but never progressed, I built a signal box based on that at Worgret Junction with individual bricks, window bars, sliding window, and the like. I very much doubt that I could do so again now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having just popped over to Bitton to see how the sausage war was progressing in Andys absence, there was mention of lineside fires, sometime ago a small lineside fire occurred at Westerham Station. Fortunately promt action put it out, and only a bit of scorching is left to show the incident.

post-17489-0-94110500-1415459067_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-37417400-1415459087_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

It's about time the P Way gang got that long grass under control. It's an absolute fire risk.

Westerham had a Ganger, a Sub-Ganger and three lengthmen. No wonder questions were asked as to how they spent their time when the locals could hardly see out of the carriage windows for all the foliage.

Never mind, nothing a good coat of tarmac won't cure.

Now that is something   ...................

It's about time the P Way gang got that long grass under control. It's an absolute fire risk.

Westerham had a Ganger, a Sub-Ganger and three lengthmen. No wonder questions were asked as to how they spent their time when the locals could hardly see out of the carriage windows for all the foliage.

Never mind, nothing a good coat of tarmac won't cure.

....................    that it's replacement could do with   ......      :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ron, I'm sorry, I was really only talking about the most basic of things. The one I was thinking about was a kit that included three scored rectangles for a barrow type crossing. I remember the planks were laser cut for quite a daft number of dollars. I absolutely agree with your point though, not everyone has the same kind of mobility or strength.

I'm also agreeing with Al, your scorched earth looks great Adrian. :)

Cheers

Jason

• Like 3

Good to see it didn't spread...all those wooden buildings...

Nestor

You may jest but I remember seeing one South Eastern Railway PW hut that was built of heavily-tarred timbers. It went up a treat as a lineside grass fire spread!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You may think it strange that I've given you a Craftsmanship/Clever tick for that, but the fact is that both of those photos are indistinguishable from the real thing. There isn't one detail out of place, and the colours, textures and modelling are perfect.

Just look at that first image, with the school and trees behind, the car in the yard. I defy anyone to find anything which identifies it as a model.

I've still got a long way to go before I match what you make look so easy.

Brilliant mate,

Al.

• Like 1

I'm afraid you simply don't understand minister-speak   .........................

I think the fire scene is extremely realistic and the shot of the staion and  benches look great did you see in the papers today that roads are to be upgraded so maybe the M25 will be widened to ten lanes each side  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..................    see above for example Post # 1327   .............     

The notification for "Upgrade" - really means the whole M25 will be limited to 2 Lanes and the Hard Shoulders built on for Affordable Housing, close to main arterial roads [even 'though nothing will be moving along it anyway.]

........................    See - simple really, you just have to think the opposite to what they are trying to get you to believe. .........     :angel:  :angel:

Thank you for the clarification just shows these people who decide our future can say two or three things in one statement and not mean any of it, good idea to turn the M25 into a linear car park. But really the only answer to all the problems is to reinstate the Westerham branch the planneres can at least see what they can build by reading this thread !