westerhamstation

I nearly addressed it to Ron    ....................................             ............................    I wonder how the Highways Agency and associated MPs will run this one up as a massive positive improvement  .......     :jester:   eerrr   .....    :O

Hi Julian, they should have asked Ron.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-30049739

Ps this link should work better. :senile:

Well said Jaz     .............................     you only have one life    .......

So glad we moved to where a tractor and two cars = a queue

....................     do you really want to spend it in an M 25 queue    .............................................      

• Like 1

So glad we moved to where a tractor and two cars = a queue

I was driving down a country lane earlier today and got stuck behind a tractor and whopping great big trailer. Driver of said tractor pulled over at the earliest opportunity to let me drive past....imagine them doing THAT on the M25.............

• Like 1

Hello all, I am never going on holiday again without taking a laptop with me, this is going to take me forever to catch up with all the people I follow. I go on this page and find Tony Robinson and his long haired hippy mates have been doing some kind of digging about in Gault Clay, I only put up the potters wheel interlude to keep you from getting bored, I didn't expect in depth articles of where the raw material came from, and how the whole of the M25 will end up in the sea, I should have know better than to leave you lot on your own. I will reply in due course to you all after taking legal advice. All the best Adrian.

(ps: I have brought you all back sticks of rock, with gault clay written all the way through). :jester:

Your lucky Adrian, I went away for two weeks and came back to find 12 PAGES of talk about SAUSAGES on Bitton. :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A stroll down memory lane for some of us... Sunday Dinner at Railway Terrace Westerham.

I recall missing Sunday lunch once, probably in 1961 - spending the day trainspotting at Redhill. Including seeing Jean Metcalf arriving after presenting that programme, and being met by husband Cliff Michelmore and a young son who must have been Guy.

• Like 3

Hi Adrian, just had a pleasant Hour catching up and reminising along with the excellent Videos, or would it have been 8mm Cinie in those days.

Either way, what a superb Layout Westerham is proving to be.

All the best.

Hi Ian, I love that comment.

Whats the old saying, revenge is a dish best served cold. It's about time that the Westerham Valley Railway got it's own back. all the best Adrian

It seems that the gault clay wasn't to blame for this one. We have that one yet to come.

It appears that this was caused by concrete which didn't set properly. I came across this article about quick-setting concrete on the M25. Looks like their boasting was a tad premature.

Incidentally, on the next section between junctions 9 and 8, where the M25 crosses the North Downs, just after it opened and the cutting sides were naked chalk, you could see sinkholes in profile. Now if there were sinkholes in the sides of the motorway...

I can't wait till the gault exacts its revenge. The Sevenoaks Bypass had already had problems. I like to think that the ghost of the Ancient Railwayman was at work getting his own back for the filling in of Chevening cutting for the bypass.

Edited by ronstrutt
  • Like 3

Incidentally, on the next section between junctions 9 and 8, where the M25 crosses the North Downs, just after it opened and the cutting sides were naked chalk, you could see sinkholes in profile. Now if there were sinkholes in the sides of the motorway...

There are plenty of mines around there, mainly hearthstone like this one at Merstham some with drainage audits coming out near the motorway.

Dscf0219640_zpse5a8ac7e.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I could imagine myself sitting on one of those benches on a summers afternoon in the 1950,s oh what pleasure, what next for your layout ?

Hi Imsforever, what's next, I think I will build Chevening Halt as it's the next one on the line, using one of those Lak floating shelves from Ikea for the baseboard as they are very lightweight and I will need to be able to store it when not in use, as it will only be able to be used in the summer months, as that will be the board that will connect with the line coming out of the garage wall (please keep this information to yourself as Mrs W. All Stations To Dunton Green, is blisfully unaware of these ideas).Also I still have some little bits of scenic work to do. All the best Adrian.

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 1

Hi Ron,

I will ask Peter when I seen him next and post his answers.

Hi Ron,

Sorry this reply has taken a while and hope the answers don't arrive to late for you to use.

I spoke to Peter Reed today - have not seen him for some weeks. He tells me that all the Tonbridge Shed H Classes used on the Westerham branch were aligned with cab facing London. This meant on all occasions, the up service from the Tonbridge end would be bunker first. So the first movement of the day (at about 3.30am I think) was to position the engine to Dunton Green and then run a freight down the branch to Westerham. There was passing loops at both Dunton Green and Westerham but not at Brasted. Consequently it would not have been possible to just drop off goods vans at Brasted en route to Westerham as the engine was at the front of the train. It necissatated a return run back up to Brasted once the engine had run round the wagons at Westerham. Peter had no memory of the engine ever running bunker first into Westerham although he did not rule out this ever happening but had never seen any pictures illustrating this.

I hope this is of some use.

Glynn

Hi Ron,

Sorry this reply has taken a while and hope the answers don't arrive to late for you to use.

I spoke to Peter Reed today - have not seen him for some weeks. He tells me that all the Tonbridge Shed H Classes used on the Westerham branch were aligned with cab facing London. This meant on all occasions, the up service from the Tonbridge end would be bunker first. So the first movement of the day (at about 3.30am I think) was to position the engine to Dunton Green and then run a freight down the branch to Westerham. There was passing loops at both Dunton Green and Westerham but not at Brasted. Consequently it would not have been possible to just drop off goods vans at Brasted en route to Westerham as the engine was at the front of the train. It necissatated a return run back up to Brasted once the engine had run round the wagons at Westerham. Peter had no memory of the engine ever running bunker first into Westerham although he did not rule out this ever happening but had never seen any pictures illustrating this.

I hope this is of some use.

Glynn

Thanks, Glynn, that's very informative and useful. Please pass on my thanks to Peter.

A stroll down memory lane for some of us... Sunday Dinner at Railway Terrace Westerham.

Having finally got round to reading the BRM article (I was off sick on Monday and yesterday) this is just astonishing.  Your videos and photos give no sense of how compact they layout is - I had expected something many times the size!

• RMweb Gold

Two more benches for passengers/porters, one for Westerham and one for Brasted.

Having donned all the relevant safety apparatus, cleared the station and stopped all the trains (sorry the train) we have examined carefully the portmanteau which has some very suspicious labels upon it, namely;

Great Western Railway Rosslare-Fishguard.

Inspector Nightly from the yard was contacted and made his way to the scene and declared he could hear a dull ticking sound from within. (the porter signalman chap declared it was from the station's ticket office clock but Nightley would have none of it, saying there had been a mysterious hole blown somewhere nearby on a busy road only recently ,and besides he was only doing his duty).

The bomb squad have just been contacted to make their assessment before possibly attempting a controlled explosion further down the goods yard where the line's owner has asked for a new hole for some point motor thingey if it all goes pearshaped. (He had asked for it be specific dimensions would you believe, something about making good the scenery).

If I hear any more gossip I will let you know, in the meanwhile I have taken cover and set up my headquarters at the pub in Westerham, where I will be inspecting all the ales to satisfy myself all is well.

Kevin

• Like 2

Found This,

While looking for something else, presume you have it though.

Be careful, the Southern Railway signalling diagram was for a scheme that never happened. It was based on moving the lever frame onto the platform so that one man could sell tickets and handle the signalling, as was carried out at many other small Southern stations (eg Sheffield Park). I have yet to discover when this scheme was proposed or why it was abandoned, as it would seem to have been a very sensible one.

PS: as is common with Google image searches, many of the results thrown up are not of the Westerham branch.

Edited by ronstrutt