Hi Bigherb, that's true and thanks for pointing it out, but I wanted to model the one prior to the horrible rebuilt, when they changed the road bridge after the war and the platform. I am not sure if the platform shelter was the same one though, or did they redo that as well. All the best Adrian.

Gould's book is not too helpful on when or why Chevening was rebuilt and whether they were both done at the same time, though he does mention that a bomb fell on the line 150 yards on the Dunton Green side of the halt so maybe that did some structural damage to the bridge. The other thought is that there were problems with the drainage in the cutting - the old gault clay again. In your first picture you can see signs of problems with drainage channels in the far cutting side and in the second the substantial drains that were put in, presumably as part of the reconstruction. It may be that the old platform had to be removed to allow new drains to be put into the southern cutting side. Incidentally, in the second picture there's a leaning post in the cutting side which may indicate slipping problems.*

Gould reckons the 1950s for the reconstruction but by 1952 at the latest. I would put that back a tad. In 1951, when the line was being considered as a possible candidate for closure, the chief civil engineer was asked to defer track renewals and other items of heavy expenditure on the line. I wonder whether the cost of the Chevening work was the reason for the issue of this edict so I would guess 1950-51. Given the post-war shortages of materials I can't see it being done unless it was really vital work.I need to look that up in the early BR records at the National Archives.

So, that means you're plumping for a 1940s era for your model, Adrian. You're going to need to fettle up your skills at building locomotives and rolling stock then. That'll be an R1 and the ex-SECR railmotor set, neither of which are, TTBOMK, available as kits, let alone RTR. A wartime scene would require you to paint white stripes on the platform canopy supports to stop people walking into them in the blackout and, of course, all the model people would have to be carrying gas masks, there would have to be lots of service vehicles and service people around (especially RAF) and the advertising hoardings would have to carry government posters rather than exhorting the locals to buy things.

:devil:

*By 1956 there was another serious slip in the Chevening area

Edited by ronstrutt
  • Like 2

Whilst idling my time away in the warm,and on the internet trying to find out how sleeper built platforms were constructed (for Chevening Halt). I found this site with some proper draughtsmans drawings on it, not a cad drawing insight, that shows detailed construction drawings of some lineside structures that could be adapted for many regions. primarily they are for

MS&LRy.'s/Great Central. I have posted this link elsewhere on RMweb. The drawings enlarge just by clicking on them. Long live pen and ink drawings and draughtsmens skills of old.

http://www.swithland-signal-works.co.uk/plans/plans.htm

Somewhere I have a few old pictures of Dorking Deepdene aka Deepdene, aka Box Hill and Deepdene, aka that station near the big houses just outside Dorking. This was a SER/SECR structure built of wood (because it was perched on top of a tall embankment so a solid structure was out of order). I imagine that Chevening would have been of similar construction. I'll try to find them.

Hi Ron, thank you for that information, it may be a question of modellers licence, and modellers finance as to what will be run. From my point of view I just prefer the look of the old bridge

rather than the replacement, and also with the timber platform will be more interesting to build. Hopefully I will make a start some time in the New Year. All the best Adrian.

• Like 1

Hi Ron, thank you for that information, it may be a question of modellers licence, and modellers finance as to what will be run. From my point of view I just prefer the look of the old bridge

rather than the replacement, and also with the timber platform will be more interesting to build. Hopefully I will make a start some time in the New Year. All the best Adrian.

You could always build the halt at Combe Bank/Sundridge that was planned and approved but never built.

• Like 1

Somewhere I have a few old pictures of Dorking Deepdene aka Deepdene, aka Box Hill and Deepdene, aka that station near the big houses just outside Dorking. This was a SER/SECR structure built of wood (because it was perched on top of a tall embankment so a solid structure was out of order). I imagine that Chevening would have been of similar construction. I'll try to find them.

Found one - and probably the best one - in the first box I looked in. (One day I will get around to cataloguing what I have.)

Hope it helps. (Methinks you may need to get a few coffee stirrers.)

post-20556-0-24686200-1418563950_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronstrutt
  • Like 8

Found one - and probably the best one - in the first box I looked in. (One day I will get around to cataloguing what I have.)

Hi Ron, that's brilliant thank you, what a smart looking bunch of chaps, I like the casual poses, I am off now in search of coffee stirrers, and a moustache. All the best Adrian.

• Like 2

Adrian,

You could always paint it up as WWII era or earlier, but still run the same train(s).  It would be something different on your layout.

• Like 2

Adrian,

You could always paint it up as WWII era or earlier, but still run the same train(s).  It would be something different on your layout.

Hi Chris,Ron, you have set me thinking (a dangerous thing on a Sunday evening) it would take nothing to set that era, only the replacement of some vehicles to set the period, Westerham station already has the remains of the white blackout markings, a bonus would be the lack lighting on platforms and buildings. Just off to get my tin hat, all the best Adrian. PUT THAT LIGHT OUT.

• Like 2

Somehow I can't link to replies this evening. So this post is in reply to 1488:-

Talking of Artist's Licence - and you certainly deserve that given your all round artistry - during WWII is there any chance that an army camp was established nearby? Then you could be really busy - big locos an' all!

Just a thought. ;)

Regards, Tony.

That's a great photo. Those two fellers in the middle look like they are going to settle into a rendition of Riverdance. The Australian wines advert is interesting. Through ignorance, I just assumed that the Australian wine industry started more recently.

• Like 1

That's a great photo. Those two fellers in the middle look like they are going to settle into a rendition of Riverdance. The Australian wines advert is interesting. Through ignorance, I just assumed that the Australian wine industry started more recently.

......................   Nah  ...................   they've been getting blotto on the stuff for centuries   ...................    :jester:

Somehow I can't link to replies this evening. So this post is in reply to 1488:-

Talking of Artist's Licence - and you certainly deserve that given your all round artistry - during WWII is there any chance that an army camp was established nearby? Then you could be really busy - big locos an' all!

Just a thought. ;)

Regards, Tony.

Hi Tony, your question about nearby army camps. Close by to Westerham, is one of the great fighter stations of WW2 RAF Biggin Hill situated at the top of the North Downs.

Also at Knockholt there was a Y station working in conjuction with Bletchley Park. At the top of the North Downs overlooking Sevenoaks and the branch line was Fort Halstead

I have included a Wikipedia link to this site because right at the end of the page about notable people who worked at the establishment was a one Dr Beeching!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Halstead

So thank you for your question, It has provided me with a bit of interesting research. All the best Adrian

• Like 2

Hi Tony, your question about nearby army camps. Close by to Westerham, is one of the great fighter stations of WW2 RAF Biggin Hill situated at the top of the North Downs.

Also at Knockholt there was a Y station working in conjuction with Bletchley Park. At the top of the North Downs overlooking Sevenoaks and the branch line was Fort Halstead

I have included a Wikipedia link to this site because right at the end of the page about notable people who worked at the establishment was a one Dr Beeching!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Halstead

So thank you for your question, It has provided me with a bit of interesting research. All the best Adrian

Sadly these sites do not seem to have generated a lot of traffic for the branch. Both Knockholt and Fort Halstead were as close to Knockholt station on the main line as to any of the branch stations and while Biggin Hill was fairly close to Westerham, there was the inconvenience called Westerham Hill in between, so, AFAIK, all freight went there via Bromley as did most of the passenger traffic. Westerham was Biggin Hill's favoured watering hole, though.

• Like 1

As Ron says nothing that would have much to do with the railway. In addition to the above, RAF Sundridge (Coombe Bank School) was a plane recovery depot. An underground storage facility (not MOD) north of Westerham. A firing range on the downs at Westerham Hill might have generated a bit of traffic.

• Like 1

A FREE CHRISTMAS PUDDING RECIPE. All the best for Christmas, and I hope you enjoy your Free pudding recipe. Adrian.

Just click to get your pudding

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 13

Its the way you tell them - - Ace!

Thanks (and all the best to the station staff as well).

Ticked 'like' 'cos I couldn't find the superb and/or brilliant button!  Many thanks for the great inspiring thread you've taken us through this year.  Seasons Greetings and a Happy New Year to Westerham and all who sail in her!

Edited by Adams442T

Absolutely wonderful Adrian,- my wife has just watched your Crimbo pud ad,and has remarked that your models are lovely, totally realistic!

Seasons greetings to you and of course Mrs Westerhamstation.

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve).

• Like 1

Evening Adrian, what a great little Video, so well put together and executed, your modelling really is superb, in fact I'm just going to have another read of BRM. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. 

• Like 1

Brilliant Video!

Wonderful modelling.

So, you don't think adding double cream on top will work then?

Merry Christmas mate, to you and all your family.

Al

• Like 1

Merry Christmas Adrian! On the back of that I'll be putting up my Christmas Tree tomorrow!

cheers

Jason

Adrian,

Brilliant Video.  Have a happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Absolute,............Christmas Cracker   Adrian.

Well thought out.

Thanks for a thoroughly entertaining thread,over the past year, I have been here.............

Season's Greeting's to you and Your's......... :sungum:

Sorry not been on much, always love your thread, your eye for colour is outstanding......you must have spent your childhood watching blue peter make it yourself episodes LOL

any.....HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you and your lovely wife. It was really nice meeting you both earlier this year. 

HAPPY CHRISTMAS

to you both  ...    :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Thank you for the skills you have passed on

and for the enjoyment we have all received from them.

• Like 1